The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

On 3/21/2018 at 5:52 AM, turtle28 said:

It’s not lazy, it’s believing one of your 3 young interior OL could be the next player to break out like Ioannidis and Lanier did last year on defense and drafting another C/G prospect to compete with them.

While it could happen, the fact remains that Catalina was a 2017 UDFA (every team passed on him over and over again), Kalis was a mid-season pickup (after we cut him and he signed with Indy; also a 2017 UDFA), and Kouandjio was a draft pick who didn't pan out that we only brought back due to injuries. Oh there's also Demetrius Rhaney, another midseason pickup who had two starts in three years with the Rams (but 32 appearances).

If one of them develops into a quality starter, that's spectacular. However, banking on any one of them developing is bad planning.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Taking their swing tackle and moving him to guard because they didn't properly address the depth and talent on the offensive line is completely a front office failure.

We disagree on why they would put him at LG, but I understand that “losing” a valued backup would not help our depth. 

Unless we draft Nelson or Hernandez, I think Nsekhe gives us the best possible outcome for our LG position.

50 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We disagree on why they would put him at LG, but I understand that “losing” a valued backup would not help our depth. 

Unless we draft Nelson or Hernandez, I think Nsekhe gives us the best possible outcome for our LG position.

Likewise, I get the idea of the "best five," but given that Nsekhe is a 32/33 year old RFA (which makes him a 33/34 year old UFA next year), addressing the LG position for the long term would be a better plan.

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

Likewise, I get the idea of the "best five," but given that Nsekhe is a 32/33 year old RFA (which makes him a 33/34 year old UFA next year), addressing the LG position for the long term would be a better plan.

What are our options right now though? 

Im not suggesting they put Nsekhe there and consider the position solid. I’m saying play him there draft 3 o-lineman (1 OT and 2 OG(i preferably can fill in for C if necessary)). 

I don’t see any free agents that I would be leaping at if I were the FO.

11 hours ago, Woz said:

While it could happen, the fact remains that Catalina was a 2017 UDFA (every team passed on him over and over again), Kalis was a mid-season pickup (after we cut him and he signed with Indy; also a 2017 UDFA), and Kouandjio was a draft pick who didn't pan out that we only brought back due to injuries. Oh there's also Demetrius Rhaney, another midseason pickup who had two starts in three years with the Rams (but 32 appearances).

If one of them develops into a quality starter, that's spectacular. However, banking on any one of them developing is bad planning.

I realize that, but Lanier was undrafted too. He developed for one year and then his 2nd year got 5 sacks. I’m not saying there’s a 100% percent certainty Kouandjio, Kalis or Catalina become serviceable starters but I don’t think it’s a pie in the sky thought either.

Also, Kalis or Kouandjio really should have made the team but we kept a 4th TE bc we had drafted Sprinkle in round 5 and kept JHC (a 5th ILB) becsuse he flashed in the 4th preseason game and didn’t want to chance losing him either. And Catalina was kept over them because he could play OT & G, I think most of us thought Kalis played better in the preseason and Kouandjio has showed he could play at a serviceable level. He has things he needs to work on as a pass protector but is a good run blocker - kind of like Lauvao.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Rashad Penny is giving me a little bit of the steamies after watching this analysis. He’s got speed and vision! Two things tge Redskin# haven’t had in a starting RB since CP.

You already know how I feel about Penny to the Redskins!!!!! One of my favorite players in this class my 3rd back behind Barkley and Guice

On 3/23/2018 at 2:04 AM, turtle28 said:

Yes! Buckeyes baby! He’s a mauler! He can play OT too - if he had too - he started at both LT and RT  at OSU during his time there.

So as someone with an affinity towards Ohio State, what are your thoughts on Jamarco Jones? Think he could fall to the 4th rd? 

He seems like versatile T/G that just needs to add some weight/power, but maybe he could be a good Swiss Army knife for all spots, sans C. Would better allow Nsekhe to focus primarily on starting LG this season. 

Just a thought.. I still prefer Boone or a decent vet. 

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

So as someone with an affinity towards Ohio State, what are your thoughts on Jamarco Jones? Think he could fall to the 4th rd? 

He seems like versatile T/G that just needs to add some weight/power, but maybe he could be a good Swiss Army knife for all spots, sans C. Would better allow Nsekhe to focus primarily on starting LG this season. 

Just a thought.. I still prefer Boone or a decent vet. 

I’d agree with that, if Jones is still available in round 4.

Maybe there's no need to reach for a nose early. Harrison phillips and Tim Settle would be good options for us. They are graded as round 2 picks but their position may have them fall farther than that. They have some good tape, I prefer phillips as he is in better shape and a wrestling background. If we can somehow get a 3rd rounder in the draft either one of these guys would be steals at that point.

9 hours ago, Eric said:

Maybe there's no need to reach for a nose early. Harrison phillips and Tim Settle would be good options for us. They are graded as round 2 picks but their position may have them fall farther than that. They have some good tape, I prefer phillips as he is in better shape and a wrestling background. If we can somehow get a 3rd rounder in the draft either one of these guys would be steals at that point.

I don’t think drafting a starting DL in round 1 reaching. I’m worried Phillips may go before we pick in round 2 but I’d certainly consider taking him or Settle if they’re available and we haven’t addressed the NT position yet.

Archived