The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I honestly don’t think it’s going to matter much. Neither Payne or Vea will play much in nickel. 

We have Allen, Ioannidis and Lanier - who had 5 sacks in about a half season w/ meaninisnaps last year - as good to great interior pas rushers. We also have 1 great and 2 other good OLBs so we could put them all on the field together and have Kerrigan or Preston Smith rush over the guard. 

No matter what NT we draft in whatever round or if we sign Hankins, they’re not going to get a lot of snaps in the nickel defense. At most our starting NT in our D is looking at 50% of snaps, but probably closer to 40%.

You're failing here to consider the potential injuries... which is ironic for a Redskins' fan. Also, having a well rested rotation of big dudes up front is better than running them into the ground come postseason time. 

The last consideration is this. If the Redskins were in Nickel 70% + of the time... and their run defense was bottom of the League...maybe it's time to adjust the Nickel look. If teams are getting you to go Nickel... so they can run over Kerrigan-Allen-Ioa-Smith? throw a new wrinkle back at them and see if you can affect their pass and run attack with an Allen--Vea--Ioa--Kerrigan front 4 to attack. I'll bet they can't run well against that.. and I bet they also can still get pressure. Smith and Lanier can still mix in snaps. 

Your particular argument in the post above.. if it applies to Vea... then it REALLY applies all the more to Payne.. or even thenmore costly Hankins... which is only hurting your recent push for either. 

17 hours ago, oldman9er said:

You're failing here to consider the potential injuries... which is ironic for a Redskins' fan. Also, having a well rested rotation of big dudes up front is better than running them into the ground come postseason time. 

The last consideration is this. If the Redskins were in Nickel 70% + of the time... and their run defense was bottom of the League...maybe it's time to adjust the Nickel look. If teams are getting you to go Nickel... so they can run over Kerrigan-Allen-Ioa-Smith? throw a new wrinkle back at them and see if you can affect their pass and run attack with an Allen--Vea--Ioa--Kerrigan front 4 to attack. I'll bet they can't run well against that.. and I bet they also can still get pressure. Smith and Lanier can still mix in snaps. 

Your particular argument in the post above.. if it applies to Vea... then it REALLY applies all the more to Payne.. or even thenmore costly Hankins... which is only hurting your recent push for either. 

I’m not failing to consider injuries, but they’re unpredictable so it’s hard to just predict that they will happen or won’t, and we are deep at the 3-4 DE position/DL we play in the nickel.

As for the rest I agree, but I doubt it will change. Most D coordinators take their NTs off the field in nickel, I just don’t see that changing.

What I would do: Trade back with the Patriots, who move up to draft the plummeting Josh Rosen. Similar to Daron Payne, I see Rosen falling on draft day. We give up pick 13 and in return receive picks 23 in the first round and pick 11 in the second. It seems like a fair deal considering what it's cost other teams recently to make similar deals. This leaves us us with picks:

23: Will Hernandez OG UTEP- We've completely painted ourselves into a corner at guard. They signed nobody and Ty Nsheke simply isn't a viable option at the position

43: Nick Chubb RB UGA- The rumors are the Redskins love Guice and Chubb. I think they'll be able to land Chubb at this point but Guice will be long gone.

The Redskins, for some reason, make another trade on draft day with the Dallas Cowboys. They drop back to 50 and in the process pick up Dallas' third round pick. There's obviously a higher fee when trading within the division but Dallas gets Mike Geisecki out of it so they don't mind. This leaves the Redskins with picks:

50. Tim Settle DT VT- The Redskins are high on Settle according to John Keim and are able to land him in the second round. I think it's a little high for Settle but you can't risk losing him in the next 31 picks.

81. Dante Pettis WR UW- Simply too talented to pass up at this point. He can return punts and play the slot. He's a burner who gives the Redskins another receiver who can take the top off of a defense. Potentially gives them the ability to walk away from Crowder after this season and get a compensation pick in return.

109. Shaquem Griffin UCF LB- The speedy pass rusher is simply too talented to pass up at this point. He adds an element of speed that we simply haven't had in seemingly forever at OLB.

142. RJ McIntosh UM DT- The Redskins double up on talented DL and continue building up a group they've neglected for years. 

163. Quinn Blanding FS UVA- The Redskins have visited with Blanding and they do need depth at safety. I highly doubt they go into the season with Fish Smithson as their primary back up to Monte Nicholson and Blanding probably shouldn't be available at this point. He's no Anthony Poindexter but he's been a damn good player for UVA.

205. JC Jackson UMD CB- The Redskins foolishly dealt away young corner Kendall Fuller this off-season and allowed Bashaud Breeland to walk away. They need a young player to develop.

231. Garret Dooley UW OLB- Practice squad player. Special teamer.

241. Brandon Faycson VT CB- I found it surprising he was still available and the Redskins have taken a liking to Va Tech DB's as of late. They continue that trend with their last pick.

If anyone is interested, I used first-pick to do this mock draft. I tried not to trade down too much and only went with deals I considered to be somewhat realistic. While I'm not the biggest fan of going guard in the first round I simply have no clue what the team plans to do with what we have left on the roster? This is not my ideal draft but considering how little improvements we've made this off-season and the amount of talent we've lost we need to trade back and pick up extra draft choices. I also believe if Allen is still running the show that losing Crowder, Scherff and Smith are all a real possibility in the upcoming years to free agency.

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

What I would do: Trade back with the Patriots, who move up to draft the plummeting Josh Rosen. Similar to Daron Payne, I see Rosen falling on draft day. We give up pick 13 and in return receive picks 23 in the first round and pick 11 in the second. It seems like a fair deal considering what it's cost other teams recently to make similar deals. This leaves us us with picks:

23: Will Hernandez OG UTEP- We've completely painted ourselves into a corner at guard. They signed nobody and Ty Nsheke simply isn't a viable option at the position

43: Nick Chubb RB UGA- The rumors are the Redskins love Guice and Chubb. I think they'll be able to land Chubb at this point but Guice will be long gone.

The Redskins, for some reason, make another trade on draft day with the Dallas Cowboys. They drop back to 50 and in the process pick up Dallas' third round pick. There's obviously a higher fee when trading within the division but Dallas gets Mike Geisecki out of it so they don't mind. This leaves the Redskins with picks:

50. Tim Settle DT VT- The Redskins are high on Settle according to John Keim and are able to land him in the second round. I think it's a little high for Settle but you can't risk losing him in the next 31 picks.

81. Dante Pettis WR UW- Simply too talented to pass up at this point. He can return punts and play the slot. He's a burner who gives the Redskins another receiver who can take the top off of a defense. Potentially gives them the ability to walk away from Crowder after this season and get a compensation pick in return.

109. Shaquem Griffin UCF LB- The speedy pass rusher is simply too talented to pass up at this point. He adds an element of speed that we simply haven't had in seemingly forever at OLB.

142. RJ McIntosh UM DT- The Redskins double up on talented DL and continue building up a group they've neglected for years. 

163. Quinn Blanding FS UVA- The Redskins have visited with Blanding and they do need depth at safety. I highly doubt they go into the season with Fish Smithson as their primary back up to Monte Nicholson and Blanding probably shouldn't be available at this point. He's no Anthony Poindexter but he's been a damn good player for UVA.

205. JC Jackson UMD CB- The Redskins foolishly dealt away young corner Kendall Fuller this off-season and allowed Bashaud Breeland to walk away. They need a young player to develop.

231. Garret Dooley UW OLB- Practice squad player. Special teamer.

241. Brandon Faycson VT CB- I found it surprising he was still available and the Redskins have taken a liking to Va Tech DB's as of late. They continue that trend with their last pick.

If anyone is interested, I used first-pick to do this mock draft. I tried not to trade down too much and only went with deals I considered to be somewhat realistic. While I'm not the biggest fan of going guard in the first round I simply have no clue what the team plans to do with what we have left on the roster? This is not my ideal draft but considering how little improvements we've made this off-season and the amount of talent we've lost we need to trade back and pick up extra draft choices. I also believe if Allen is still running the show that losing Crowder, Scherff and Smith are all a real possibility in the upcoming years to free agency.

I’d be ok with it, as long as Vea was off the board at 13. I especially like your picks from the 2nd round on. I guess what still gets me is not getting a dominant D prospect at 13. It’s really what I want for this team and think they need the most. If it’s not a NT, I’d still take Edmunds or Smith or one of the top DBs if available at 13 rather than trade down to 23.

54 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Trade back with the Patriots, who move up to draft the plummeting Josh Rosen. Similar to Daron Payne, I see Rosen falling on draft day. We give up pick 13 and in return receive picks 23 in the first round and pick 11 in the second. It seems like a fair deal considering what it's cost other teams recently to make similar deals.

Hmm ... 13 for 23 and a 2nd seems to be selling a bit short value wise, but I suppose getting the 2nd now instead of a 2019 1st would make more sense given that they would be trading with the Patriots.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d be ok with it, as long as Vea was off the board at 13. I especially like your picks from the 2nd round on. I guess what still gets me is not getting a dominant D prospect at 13. It’s really what I want for this team and think they need the most. If it’s not a NT, I’d still take Edmunds or Smith or one of the top DBs if available at 13 rather than trade down to 23.

It's possible, albeit unlikely, that we could have the horrific scenario of Chubb, Edwards, Smith, Vea, Fitzpatrick, James, and Ward all off the board at 13.

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

It's possible, albeit unlikely, that we could have the horrific scenario of Chubb, Edwards, Smith, Vea, Fitzpatrick, James, and Ward all off the board at 13.

Would you take Bradley Chubb in round 1 given he’d just be a #3 pass rusher his first few years because we have Kerrigan and Preston Smith?  Chubb develop into a better pro that what Kerrigan and Smith have become but I believe he’s pretty similar and not a huge upgrade over them.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Would you take Bradley Chubb in round 1 given he’d just be a #3 pass rusher his first few years because we have Kerrigan and Preston Smith? 

He won't be available to us. I was just theorizing that the best defensive talent (along with Barkley and Nelson) could be off the board if the Redskins hit the nasty exacta.

22 minutes ago, Woz said:

My true feelings are they’ll take Mayfield or Rosen if one of them falls. 

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

All I’m saying is, don’t be shocked lol

Shocked? No.

Curled up in the corner crying since I know what this forum will be like if we spend a first round pick after essentially guaranteed Alex Smith three years? Absolutely.

If a QB is the alternative, absolutely take Guice.

@EvanSilva 

Rashaad Penny: 8 return TDs in college (7 KR, 1 PR). Weighs 220 lbs. 92nd-percentile Speed Score. One of premier tackle breakers in NCAA. For his long-term outlook, would love to see him go 2nd round. twitter.com/lancezierlein/…

Archived