The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

So, we already have the future QB Thread which is great. Thanks for setting that up Lavar703, but I feel we need a separate thread to discuss not only possibly drafting a qb but also other positions because some of us - me in particular - are still hopeful the team and offense play well enough this season that Kirk wants to stay and the Redskins FO wants him back.

Now, I won't deny that is a pipe dream, but a pipe dream I shall have! Lol xD

So, for me, I want to keep the current young roster intact and have it continue to grow except for replacing Lauvao @ LG. 

Walterfootball projections:

Round 1: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Round 2: Billy Price, G/C, Ohio State   

Drafttek projections:

Round 2: Kendall Joseph, LB, Clemson

I have to say I could go either way on each of these projections. I like them both. Now, I'm still hopeful that Kirk is back - yes I know most don't agree with me, but I'm hopeful - so I'd rather take a DL or ILB in round 1 and then come back in round 2 and take whatever we didn't take in round 1 or take an interior lineman to replace the departing Lauvao.

Turtle's mock:

Round 1: Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia 

The Redskins have a question mark about their future at QB but I'm still hopeful Kirk Cousins is back until he definitely isn't! The Redskins have two good ILBs right now but both are in their contract years. They both could be retained or could be let go and we do have Spaight developing well behind them but it would be nice to get a young talented and physical ILB again to have for hopefully the next decade. Kiser is a big, physical linebacker that would be a presence in the middle of the Redskins defense.

Round 2: Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State

Not only is there an almost certainly that Lauvao won't be retained - at least we all hope - Spencer Long is also a free agent and could command a decent sized contract if he continues to play at least average at center. Having to pay TWill, Moses and Scherff good money may mean that they don't want to spend too much to retain Long. It remains to be seen, I could go either way on retaining him. I think he can be upgraded and the upgrade could already be on our roster with Roullier and then drafting Price would solidify our interior OL.

Round 3: Vita Vea, NT, Washington 

It goes without saying that since 2010 this entire forum has wanted the Redskins to draft a true NT within the first 4 rounds of the draft so we could have a dominant run defense, sadly, it still hasn't happened 7 years later. Even when Cofield was here, I think most had hoped they'd move him to DE - especially after Carriker & Bowen got hurt - and draft a true NT but ShanAllen didn't do it. Last year most wanted so many NT prospects and Vea's former teammate at Washington Elijah Qualls fell to the 6th round. I share mosts opinion that we shouldn't have traded up for Roullier. We should have stayed put to see if we could have gotten both Roullier & Qualls. Oh well, here is to hoping that the front office finally drafts a NT within the first four rounds of this draft!

I really only watch Clemson football and then the marquee match ups of the weekend. It's going to take me awhile to get a good grip on the Clemson players this year since there was so much turnover but they have about 3 Dlinemen that I know will be good NFL players and I still would love to add to our DLine.

DT Christian Wilkins

DE Clelin Ferrell

DT Dexter Lawrence

Wilkins is the safest pick and Lawrence has the highest upside. I'll keep you guys posted on the development as the season goes on but when watching Clemson, those are the 3 play Dlinemen to keep an eye on.

On 9/20/2017 at 6:30 AM, turtle28 said:

So, we already have the future QB Thread which is great. Thanks for setting that up Lavar703, but I feel we need a separate thread to discuss not only possibly drafting a qb but also other positions because some of us - me in particular - are still hopeful the team and offense play well enough this season that Kirk wants to stay and the Redskins FO wants him back.

Now, I won't deny that is a pipe dream, but a pipe dream I shall have! Lol xD

So, for me, I want to keep the current young roster intact and have it continue to grow except for replacing Lauvao @ LG. 

Walterfootball projections:

Round 2: Billy Price, G/C, Ohio State   

Drafttek projections:

Round 2: Kendall Joseph, LB, Clemson

I have to say I could go either way on each of these projections. I like them both. Now, I'm still hopeful that Kirk is back - yes I know most don't agree with me, but I'm hopeful - so I'd rather take a DL or ILB in round 1 and then come back in round 2 and take whatever we didn't take in round 1 or take an interior lineman to replace the departing Lauvao.

Turtle's mock:

Round 1: Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia 

The Redskins have a question mark about their future at QB but I'm still hopeful Kirk Cousins is back until he definitely isn't! The Redskins have two good ILBs right now but both are in their contract years. They both could be retained or could be let go and we do have Spaight developing well behind them but it would be nice to get a young talented and physical ILB again to have for hopefully the next decade. Kiser is a big, physical linebacker that would be a presence in the middle of the Redskins defense.

Round 2: Billy Price, C/G, Ohio State

Not only is there an almost certainly that Lauvao won't be retained - at least we all hope - Spencer Long is also a free agent and could command a decent sized contract if he continues to play at least average at center. Having to pay TWill, Moses and Scherff good money may mean that they don't want to spend too much to retain Long. It remains to be seen, I could go either way on retaining him. I think he can be upgraded and the upgrade could already be on our roster with Roullier and then drafting Price would solidify our interior OL.

Round 3: Vita Vea, NT, Washington 

It goes without saying that since 2010 this entire forum has wanted the Redskins to draft a true NT within the first 4 rounds of the draft so we could have a dominant run defense, sadly, it still hasn't happened 7 years later. Even when Cofield was here, I think most had hoped they'd move him to DE - especially after Carriker & Bowen got hurt - and draft a true NT but ShanAllen didn't do it. Last year most wanted so many NT prospects and Vea's former teammate at Washington Elijah Qualls fell to the 6th round. I share mosts opinion that we shouldn't have traded up for Roullier. We should have stayed put to see if we could have gotten both Roullier & Qualls. Oh well, here is to hoping that the front office finally drafts a NT within the first four rounds of this draft!

Not bad, but I dont see them drafting a NT. Especially with Ionaiddis playing like he is. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

Not bad, but I dont see them drafting a NT. Especially with Ionaiddis playing like he is. 

Entirely true, what do you think they'd do instead? Maybe an OT or QB here. I think they're going to lose Nsekhe and he'll be a starter somewhere next year. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I can't imagine Vita Vea lasting until the third round. 

Walter has him pegged as a late 1st to as low as a 3rd. He probably won't be, but he is mostly just a run stuffer who doesn't add much pass rush and most of those guys haven't been going in round 1 anymore because of how much the league passes the ball now. 

Also, there was the surprise that his former teammate who is similar - Elijah Qualls - fell to round 6, when most scouts thought he'd go in round 2 or 3 and IMO Qualls offers  more pass rush ability.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 1:07 PM, turtle28 said:

Drafttek new 2 round Redskins draft:

Round 1: Kendall Joseph, ILB, Clemson

Round 2: Martez Ivey, OG, Florida

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round2.asp

I don't care how good Saquon Barkley is - there is NO scenario where you can draft a running back first overall in the modern NFL, especially when you don't have a QB.

I love DraftTek and they way they work, but that is an absolute joke of a pick.

The Niners picking second is an interesting thing too.

Archived