Sign in to follow this  
RamRod

Rams re-sign Andrew Whitworth to three year deal

I like it. I would’ve preferred someone younger. Whit did decline last year 

6 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I like it. I would’ve preferred someone younger. Whit did decline last year 

That "decline" was more a case of regression.  And that regression tends to happen when there's the kind of turnover on an OL that we had (also, I'd contend, McVay's play-calling to try and "preserve" Gurley didn't do Whit any favors either - most OL love to run-block particularly compared to pass-blocking).  OL's are like back lines in soccer, there's a much bigger chemistry component than a lot of people appreciate.  That chemistry can't be created overnight, and it certainly isn't helped when the new LG playing next to Whitworth goes down injured early into the season... then the new center next to him... and so on.

Three years...WOW. Wouldn’t have thought any more than two—if that. But he remains our best lineman at its most important position. Nice to not have to worry about a left tackle for at least another year or two. Not sure how effective he’d be in the third year of this contract though. 

Love it, but it seems like basically a one year contract with potential for more if both parties choose to.