Replacing Sean Payton

whodatworm23

It's only 2 weeks in but it feels so much longer... This season is over! This regime has failed and its time to start doing what bad teams do and thats plan for the future.

First I want to be clear about something. Sean Payton is the best coach the Saints have ever had. He brought this team to heights never before seen by this fan base and delievered New Orleans our first and only Superbowl Championship and for that he will be immortalized here. The issue for Payton is that he's become a victom of his own success. Payton has set the bar high in New Orleans and since 2009 he's consistantly failed to meet his own standords. After years of mediocrity and the firing of scouts, coaches and players... Payton's time has come.

Outside of Payton's failure to meet his own expectations, there are a number of personal issues that has also lead to his downward spiral with the Saints over the last 5 years but i'm not going to go into those here. I'll leave it at, Sean Payton was once a great coach for the Saints but like many other great coaches his message has grown stale within his franchise and change is inevitable and would be a benifit for both sides.

Thats the easy decision... The hard part comes when you realize you now have to replace him. The really hard part comes with knowing the parting with Payton also is accompanied with the parting of franshise savior and future hall of fame quarterback Drew Brees.

Brees and Payton were interlocked during thier time here and I simply cannot see one here without the other. With the Saints moving on from Payton, the prudent move would be to part with Brees as well. The Saints current roster will need a major overall and will likely be at least 3 years away from contention. At 38 years old Brees owes it to himself to finish his career on a stronger contender with the ability to help him possibly win another championship. Also at a rumored 27 + million dollar annual contract, the Saints would be slaughtering their rebuilding efforts before even starting it if they were to resign Brees.

No... This franchise needs a clean break and a fresh start. With Payton and Brees gone this orginazation can begin to put the peices back together and rebuild. 2018 would come with the inevitable dead money deals from Mickey Loomis kicking the can down the road in contracts but with us in a tranisition it could go somewhat unnoticed as the Saints wouldnt be major players in FA anyways. By making the move now and taking the hit in 2018 the Saints can position themselves to be free of any and all salary cap issues by the second year of the rebuild which could lead to a quicker turnaround than you'd think.

So with the hypothetical that the Saints will move fwd in 2018 with a post Payton and Brees rebuild... Who do you look to bring in as the next coach?

For years I've asked myself this question and have ALWAYS leaned toward a tough  defensive minded coach to take the reins but I also understand that just because a coach may be an offensive minded guy that does not mean he would make the same mistakes that has derailed Payton's career in New Orleans. I also realize that with Drew Brees gone as well, a young quarterback will need to be groomed and this is still an offensive league.

Another thing that stands out to me is how attractive the Saints job will be to potential head coaches. Yes this team is failing but their is talent on the roster, New Orleans is a small market team with far less media scrutiny than many of the major markets and with the Benson ownership (Tom now and eventually Gale) along with GM Mickey Loomis in place its a group that has proven to be very patient when it comes to thier coaches which is paramount these days for the premier candidates.

So who should it be?

I have a few names that I'm high on and I'll share them with you...

#1. Jim Bob Cooter, OC: Lions

Like Payton before, Cooter is a young bright offensive mind who has done a tremendous job with developing Matthew Stafford in the post Megatron era. Cooter would be a prime canidate to replace Payton in NOLA while develop and grooming the successor to Brees and moving the Saints into a new era of football.

#2. Teryl Austin, DC: Lions

Need not go far to find my #2 guy on this list as Austin has been a hot name on HC candidate list for the past 3 years in the NFL and much like Mike Zimmer, might finally get his chance in 2018 after a long wait. Austin's development of top corner Darius Slay has me wondering what he could do with a talent like Marshon Lattimore. His attacking 43 defensive scheme is an ideal fit for many of the Saints young players such as Lattimore, Rankins, Onyamata, Anzalone, Klein, Bell and Williams. Finally, Cam Jordan deserves better! He deserves to be in a defense that is fundmentally sound and has discplined and direction... Austin can give that to him.

#3. Josh McDanniels, OC: Pats

McDanniels will likley be the top HC canidate this offseason once again. Much like with Jim Bob Cooter, McDanniels could lead the Saints into the next era while developing the next Saints quarterback beyond Brees.

Did McDanniels fail in Denver... Yes he did but im willing to give himnthe benifit of thr doubt here. The Saints orginazation has had a long documented love fest with the Patriots franchise so McDanniels would be a natural target for Loomis and company. Loomis's history shows he perfers younger NFL coordinators as HC candiates and McDanniels very well could be at the top of his short list.

Other names on my watch list include... Bob Sutton DC Chiefs, Vic Fangio DC Bears, Matt Patricia DC Pats and David Shaw HC Stanford.

So who do you think the Saints should go after... IF Payton is gone?

WHODAT

First off, you and I both know Payton's not leaving, right? He should be gone, but I just don't think he will be.

To the topic;
#1 Matt Patricia from the Patriots. I said it last year, and I'm still high on this guy. He's had to deal with medium budget and typical Patriots revolution of players, and still manages to field a top 10 (#1 last year) defense year after year.

With his defensive mind, and the tutelage of Bill Belicheck, I think he'd be a great coach, and be a quick transition. Plus he has the attitude that guys like you an I like, and he knows our team as well as anyone. The discipline of BB in Patricia, and bringing that to New Orleans could be a home run almost immediately.

#2 George Edwards from the Vikings. This guy has been in Defense for years. Current DC, has been linebackers coach, assistant DC, and is really shaping the players in Minnesota.

#3 Bob Sutton from the Chiefs. He's a little old, but he's good and carries a military background. Also experienced as a linebackers coach. He (and Andy Reid) took the Chiefs from a #25 defense, to #7, to #3 in just a couple years, starting from scratch. Prior to that, he kept the Jets as one of the better, if not best defenses in the league.

Just a few thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

First off, you and I both know Payton's not leaving, right? He should be gone, but I just don't think he will be.

To the topic;
#1 Matt Patricia from the Patriots. I said it last year, and I'm still high on this guy. He's had to deal with medium budget and typical Patriots revolution of players, and still manages to field a top 10 (#1 last year) defense year after year.

With his defensive mind, and the tutelage of Bill Belicheck, I think he'd be a great coach, and be a quick transition. Plus he has the attitude that guys like you an I like, and he knows our team as well as anyone. The discipline of BB in Patricia, and bringing that to New Orleans could be a home run almost immediately.

#2 George Edwards from the Vikings. This guy has been in Defense for years. Current DC, has been linebackers coach, assistant DC, and is really shaping the players in Minnesota.

#3 Bob Sutton from the Chiefs. He's a little old, but he's good and carries a military background. Also experienced as a linebackers coach. He (and Andy Reid) took the Chiefs from a #25 defense, to #7, to #3 in just a couple years, starting from scratch. Prior to that, he kept the Jets as one of the better, if not best defenses in the league.

Just a few thoughts.

I actually LOVE Sutton... Although I think he might be a tad to old for Loomis preference. As far as Payton not being gone, not so sure. Looking at the big picture EVERYTHING says not only is it time but thats its the right time 

QB draft prospects and FA's

Brees contract situation

Payton's continied failure

Payton's desire for a fresh start himself

The cap situation

Available HC candidates

Etc.

This is going go be a 6-10 or worse season... Its all lining up for a change. Now this orginazation has to much respect for Payton to outright fire him. They will be classy about it and let him finish the season then announce a mutually parting of the ways.

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

I actually LOVE Sutton... Although I think he might be a tad to old for Loomis preference. As far as Payton not being gone, not so sure. Looking at the big picture EVERYTHING says not only is it time but thats its the right time 

QB draft prospects and FA's

Brees contract situation

Payton's continied failure

Payton's desire for a fresh start himself

The cap situation

Available HC candidates

Etc.

This is going go be a 6-10 or worse season... Its all lining up for a change. Now this orginazation has to much respect for Payton to outright fire him. They will be classy about it and let him finish the season then announce a mutually parting of the ways.

I totally agree. I hope we're both wrong and they let him go earlier, but as you said, they'll be classy about it.

I really hope they can trade him. He's kind of a first rounder, right? So we should be able to get a 5th or 6th round pick for him, right? ;)

What about a bundle package? Trade Brees' rights and Payton to someone for a 2nd round pick?

3 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I totally agree. I hope we're both wrong and they let him go earlier, but as you said, they'll be classy about it.

I really hope they can trade him. He's kind of a first rounder, right? So we should be able to get a 5th or 6th round pick for him, right? ;)

What about a bundle package? Trade Brees' rights and Payton to someone for a 2nd round pick?

Cant trade Brees unless they do it during the season and i cant see them doing that.

I actually do feel Payton will eventually be traded. A team like the Bears, Jets, etc. It would likley be for a late round pick but its also a way to dump his contract.

Despite the situation here, Payton is a well reguarded offensive mind and they will be a market for him.

Archived