Vikings sign DL Michael Pierce

SteelKing728

He was amazing 2 years ago and very good 3 years ago.

Last year he came into camp out of shape and played very meh much of the year.

That could be a good thing for the Vikings though - if you get peak Mike Pierce and you got him on a discount because of his play last year, could be a steal signing. Guy transforms a team's run defense when he's on.

Edited by Ray Reed

Not wildly familiar with the dude but is clearly a large thick man, 6-0 345.  Hard to move on the inside and has a little twitch for his big size.  Fills a need no question and is more lively and youthful than Linval that is for sure.  Might benefit him greatly playing in a 4/3 instead of a 3/4, wasn't he the DE in that scheme, could be a better fit in Minnesota possibly?  

He seemed like he was on his way to becoming a 10+M per player his first couple years. He showed up wildly out of shape this past offseason, in a contract year no less, and it affected him all season. He brought our defense down this year, TBH. 

No surprise that the Ravens made no effort to keep him. This is a boom or bust move for the Vikings. He's got the ability to live up to the deal, but they should be aware of the risk.

• Like 1

I'm happy the Ravens chose Brockers over Pierce given their respective contracts.

Just too much risk that Pierce won't perform now that he's been paid considering how out of shape he was coming into his contract year.  That said, if he plays like he did 2 years ago, Pierce will make that contract look good

Vikings have one of the top defensive line coaches in the NFL. If Patterson can't get him going I don't trust that anyone will.

Could be an underrated signing. Everything I've read is that he's a monster again the run. Reminds me of Phat Pat in stature!

• Like 2

Pierce made the team as an undrafted rookie out of a small college, basically by completely dominating in the final preseason game. Then he went on to be quite a surprise and having a big role on our defense for the next couple of years. There was also questions at times whether Ravens should retain Williams or Pierce - until this offseason where something went completely wrong with his training regime/diet.

Still young enough to be ascending, if Vikings can keep him focused, this could be a quite a good deal and he might be a better fit in a 4-3 and he could free up some of those great pass rushers the Vikings have.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Pierce made the team as an undrafted rookie out of a small college, basically by completely dominating in the final preseason game. Then he went on to be quite a surprise and having a big role on our defense for the next couple of years. There was also questions at times whether Ravens should retain Williams or Pierce - until this offseason where something went completely wrong with his training regime/diet.

Still young enough to be ascending, if Vikings can keep him focused, this could be a quite a good deal and he might be a better fit in a 4-3 and he could free up some of those great pass rushers the Vikings have.

I'm interested in watching one of his interviews to see how he responds after such a disappointing season then.