POTD 9/20 - Travelling

UKTexans

Do you like to travel?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever travelled outside of the US?

• Yes
    • No
    • There's nothing outside 'Murica
    • Europe isn't a country?
  2. 2. How far afield have you travelled?

• I already told you NO!
    • I've visited the neighbours (yes, that's a "u")
    • Europe - Italian cuisine, French wine and German efficiency!
    • Asia/SoAm/Africa - True backpacker born and bred
    • I'd rather not talk about the things I've seen (primarily for those who have been "stationed" overseas)
    • London, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo, Dubai etc. - Strictly a major city globetrotter
    • Carib/South Asia - White beaches, turquoise water
    • Other - whatever that is? Antarctica?

I have lived in two states - California and Louisiana, I have been to most of the states.

International travel, went to Nicaragua with my church for two weeks.

I took an extra week off spring break as a senior in college and went to New Zealand for the two weeks, I hitch hiked from the north Island to the south Island and did a solo backpack adventure on the south island.  I then got picked up by a kid from wales and spent 3 days doing dumb **** and having a good time with him (he picked me up because he thought I would have weed on me).  

After I graduated a buddy and I went to europe for 5 weeks, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Germany, and back to Ireland.  A week at each country per visit, had a great time and lost 20 pounds that I didnt need to lose but it didnt hurt me either.  5 weeks was a little excessive but it was a great experience, ate things I probably wont eat again and ran naked along the cliffs of Moher.

I got married soon after the Europe trip and travel has cut down, work has brought me to the Netherlands and to Israel so I have been able to travel a little more but didnt get much time to do much partying/touristy stuff.

It is worth saving money to fund trips even if it is not international - just get out and do something different.

I just returned from Tokyo a couple weeks ago.

It was my first time overseas. When I was a child, I went to Mexico and Canada. I went to the Bahamas in college.

I hope to visit England next summer, then relocate to Japan for 1 or 2 years in 2019 or 2020.

I've lived my whole life in FL and GA. I've been to most major US cities. I got plans to visit Los Angeles in mid January. 

Since I have moved out to S. Korea and now Vietnam I have been able to travel alot. 

• South Korea [Seoul (lived), Busan, All over]
  • Indonesia [Jakarta => Lombok => Yogjakarta]
  • Japan x3 [Kyoto => Osaka], [Tokyo], [Fukuoka]
  • Hong Kong
  • Philippines [Boracay]
  • China [Beijing => Xian]
  • Taiwan [Taipei]
  • Vietnam [Hanoi (Live), Ninh Bin, MaiChau]

To be honest, I'm kinda done with travelling around. A beach is a beach, a city is a city, a temple is a temple, a mountain is a mountain. People are pretty much the same all over, you  can get amazing cuisine in every country from everywhere in the world.

That being said I would like to hit up Japan/Korea one more time. Do South Africa (Work with a ton of them right now) and Kenya [Old Boss lives there]. And maybe trek through Europe. Whats lame is the one country I really want to go to is Iran. But that might not be able to happen any time soon.

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

a city is a city,

I have the disagree here. 

I've been to New York, Paris, Berlin, Milan, Bangkok, Prague, Podgorica, Malabo, Phnom Penh, Oslo, Amsterdam and many other cities and each one is completely different to the last. The food, the architecture, the public transportation, the bars, the women, the weather everything. I love visiting new cities. 

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I have the disagree here. 

I've been to New York, Paris, Berlin, Milan, Bangkok, Prague, Podgorica, Malabo, Phnom Penh, Oslo, Amsterdam and many other cities and each one is completely different to the last. The food, the architecture, the public transportation, the bars, the women, the weather everything. I love visiting new cities. 

No doubting that. And of coarse my experiences have been confined to East-Southeast Asia. Jakarta, Hanoi and Tokyo are all vastly different in a variety of ways (Nightlife, Food-Drink, Transportation etc.), but I think when I boil things , I feel the experiences in them kind feels same-sies. Move place to place, look at stuff for a bit, eat, watch people carrying on with their daily lives in the same ways everyone else in every other city does. Focusing on individual characteristics will show stark differences, but I guess I'm jadedly looking very macro.

Not just cities, nature as well. The jungley hills of West Vietnam aren't that much different than the jagged hills of east Korea, or the foothills of the Cascades in Washington. Flora and Fauna, sure, but the feelings while within in, pretty much the same.

5 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Move place to place, look at stuff for a bit, eat, watch people carrying on with their daily lives in the same ways everyone else in every other city does.

I do agree that visiting cities can become monotonous if you search for "Things to do" on tripadvisor and commit your time to getting selfies at popular tourist attractions. 

What I love about cities and partly why Paris and Berlin fall low on my radar (mainly just a bunch of photos opportunies) is seeing places and things you don't read about on LonelyPlanet. Finding bars or restaurants on a whim, going to parks or attractions that aren't on the information map. Meeting real locals not the ones who will sell you a postcard for half your months salary. 

Me and my fianceé have walked around every major city we've visited. We even walked from Times Square to the Financial District in NY just to get a better feel for the place. Those are the excursions I enjoy. 

26 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I do agree that visiting cities can become monotonous if you search for "Things to do" on tripadvisor and commit your time to getting selfies at popular tourist attractions. 

What I love about cities and partly why Paris and Berlin fall low on my radar (mainly just a bunch of photos opportunies) is seeing places and things you don't read about on LonelyPlanet. Finding bars or restaurants on a whim, going to parks or attractions that aren't on the information map. Meeting real locals not the ones who will sell you a postcard for half your months salary. 

Me and my fianceé have walked around every major city we've visited. We even walked from Times Square to the Financial District in NY just to get a better feel for the place. Those are the excursions I enjoy. 

Not at all how I travel. Other than historical stuff (Because the GF and I love) we have no plan. I really enjoy getting lost in cities and randomly popping into places.  Our trick to look for a places full of college aged locals or young 9-5'ers just off work. I 100% prefer it over sitting on a beach or climbing a mountain. The spontaneity, the anxiety of the search, the satisfaction afterwards is what makes the experience worth it. What I mean by same-sies, is feeling makes the experience, not necessarily the place itself. Ill get the same type of experience finding a great dumpling place in a random hutong in Beijing, getting drunk in a hole in wall sake bar in Tokyo with the owners, checking out a  chill LP Jazz bar in Seoul that makes a dynamite cocktail by a bartender who went to college in California and chatting with South Africans over buncha on the banks of Westlake in Hanoi. All great experiences but I wouldn't call them unique and definitely not solely dependant on the city you are residing in. 

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

All great experiences but I wouldn't call them unique and definitely not solely dependant on the city you are residing in. 

Fair enough. Perhaps in time I'll have the same sensations but right now I'm loving every new city I visit. Aiming to tick off 30 countries by the time I turn 30.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to travel for a year or two or more in about 5-6 years after i'm fully vested in my current companies 401k, have a nice sized nest egg and my kids are in the 6-8yr old range. Been around the globe a bit already and I live to travel more. Goal is to do the Americas (Pan American Hwy) during the 2 year-ish stretch I'm eyeballin'.

14 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

My favorite place on earth is East Africa.  

I work with a women from Eritrea and one from Ethiopia. They speak fondly of those places but are glad they're here.

The one from Eritrea taught me about all the cool retro Italian architecture still around in Asmara.

Grew up in Atlanta. Lived in Charleston, SC. Traveled to Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Biloxi, Mobile, Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami, DC, Boston, NYC, Connecticut, San Jose, San Diego all state side. Then I went to Montreal for a weekend in college and have been cruising in the Carribean a couple of times to Cozumel, Nassau and my honeymoon is a vacation cruise to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Cozumel and the Bahamas.

Archived