Cooley Film Breakdown Grades

turtle28

12 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

How many drops did Garcon have though?  I'm betting zero.

Exactly. Still interesting though. I think if Pryor didn't have any drops and he would have tracked that long ball better in the Philadelphia game that he would have 13 receptions for around 250 yards & 2 TDs in the first 2 games.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly. Still interesting though. I think if Pryor didn't have any drops and he would have tracked that long ball better in the Philadelphia game that he would have 13 receptions for around 250 yards & 2 TDs in the first 2 games.

Yea, and I don't think it's going to get any better...

22 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yea, and I don't think it's going to get any better...

Maybe, maybe not. No way to tell but you can tell he's definitely still really raw as a wr despite his size/speed combo. I hope he finally "gets it" and becomes what he thought he'd be but I'm skeptical as well.

When Pryor came out of college, people asked him why he refused to switch to WR. Aside from the usual pride of not acknowledging he can't play the position, he said multiple times that he can't catch. That may have been him joking, but maybe he wasn't tooootally joking.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:03 AM, turtle28 said:

Lauvao: C

Funny Cooley said this, this morning because I've said it for 4 years about him and I said it for the 4 years Chester was here:

"Fans only see the negative plays from Lauvao, they don't ever pay attention to when he does his job or he does something really well.

He did get beat by Donald a few times in pass protection including for the sack which I mentioned earlier because Perine also didn't stay in to block Donald after he clearly beat Lauvao right in front of Perine. He was mostly good in the run game but did miss some things. He had a great block  where he got both Ogeltree and Westbrooks on the Thompson 61-yard draw play TD run but as Cooley said before  the blocks were really set up perfectly and patiently by Thompson himself so most of the credit goes to Thompson on that play for setting up his blocks so well.

He also barely stopped Donald before the pitch went to Thompson for the TD.

I also note that while bolded, Lauvao got Cooley's lowest grade amongst the linemen by a full letter grade (only Cousins got a lower grade overall). So, even when he tries to talk Lauvao up, he still realizes that he's subpar.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Only in 3-4, 14 times out of 50 plays in the game. Hood, McClain and McGee play in base 3-4 on run looks by offense.

19 snaps for Hood, he was a B.

McClain played 18 snaps and was a B+.

McGee played 18 snaps and was the worst DL of the game and was a  D.

3-4 used 28% of the time. We used these three gentlemen only 13.8% (Hood) and 11.1% (McClain and McGee) of any non three man front. One of whom ended up getting Cooley's worst grade for any player on either side of the ball.

These three comprise $3.73M (McClain, 2.17% of the cap), $3.19M (McGee, 1.85%), and $1.3M (Hood, 0.75%). So, just a smidge under 5% (4.77%) of the salary cap is being used on three players who played in 28% of the defensive snaps this past Sunday.

I will ask it again: why do we bother with a 3-4? Even if it worked (which it hasn't here), we use it so rarely that getting players SPECIFICALLY to play for it is idiocy.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Best player in the game was Ioannidis. He had the 2nd most snaps of any DL. Stuffing run, hustling down the line for run stops. Good pressure. He was an A!
Allen was a B. He & Ioannidis play in the nickle defense in 4 man fronts.

Well, there are your two DTs ...

5 hours ago, Jlash said:

When Pryor came out of college, people asked him why he refused to switch to WR. Aside from the usual pride of not acknowledging he can't play the position, he said multiple times that he can't catch. That may have been him joking, but maybe he wasn't tooootally joking.

Never heard that before, must have been a joke. If memory serves me correctly as a freshman at Ohio State he played wr some and I believe caught a TD pass in the bowl game that year vs Colt McCoy and Texas.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Never heard that before, must have been a joke. If memory serves me correctly as a freshman at Ohio State he played wr sone and I believe caught a TD pass in the bowl game that year.

Yea that was his lone catch that year, and 33% of his career college catches.

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yea that was his lone catch that year, and 33% of his career college catches.

Well there's no doubt he's raw and still learning/developing in the position. I think the skins have to get him the back more in the quick game and let him break tackles and run. They need to build his confidence back up.

Archived