Jump to content
Just Want A Title

Thoughts On Free Agency

Recommended Posts

The Lions have signed a number of players in free agency.  Here is how I see each move:

1.  Desmond Trufant--A solid CB at a good price.  This should facilitate a move with Darius Slay.  Bob Quin wasn't going to make move that would leave a huge void at CB.

2.  Halapoulivaati Vaitai--He isn't an all-pro but he is an upgrade over Rick Wagner and signed to a team-friendly deal.  It makes you wonder what plans they have for Tyrell Crosby.

3.  Jamie Collins--A solid signing and probably brings a better all-around game than Devon Kenard.  He seems to play his best football around Matt Patricia

4.  Danny Shelton--He may not be Damon Harrison but he is tough to move out of the middle.  He and John Atkins should be able to replace Harrison.

5.  Nick Williams--He had a pretty good year last year and will probably carve out a niche as a pass-rushing DT.  He is also an insurance policy for Deshawn Hand.

6.  Chase Daniel--The Lions know that they need a good back-up QB because Jeff Driskell and David Blough aren't getting it done

7.  Duron Harmon--He is a solid player who can really help out Will Harris and Tracy Walker.  Tavon Wilson is a goner.

My concerns at this point:

1.  Who is going to cover RBs and TEs?

2.  Who is going to provide pressure off the edge?

3.  We still need one more starting caliber DT.  I see a lot of projections for Derrick Brown but Javon Kinlaw might be a better fit.

 

What does everyone else think so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions have signed a number of players in free agency.  Here is how I see each move:

1.  Desmond Trufant--A solid CB at a good price.  This should facilitate a move with Darius Slay.  Bob Quin wasn't going to make move that would leave a huge void at CB.

2.  Halapoulivaati Vaitai--He isn't an all-pro but he is an upgrade over Rick Wagner and signed to a team-friendly deal.  It makes you wonder what plans they have for Tyrell Crosby.

3.  Jamie Collins--A solid signing and probably brings a better all-around game than Devon Kenard.  He seems to play his best football around Matt Patricia

4.  Danny Shelton--He may not be Damon Harrison but he is tough to move out of the middle.  He and John Atkins should be able to replace Harrison.

5.  Nick Williams--He had a pretty good year last year and will probably carve out a niche as a pass-rushing DT.  He is also an insurance policy for Deshawn Hand.

6.  Chase Daniel--The Lions know that they need a good back-up QB because Jeff Driskell and David Blough aren't getting it done

7.  Duron Harmon--He is a solid player who can really help out Will Harris and Tracy Walker.  Tavon Wilson is a goner.

My concerns at this point:

1.  Who is going to cover RBs and TEs?

2.  Who is going to provide pressure off the edge?

3.  We still need one more starting caliber DT.  I see a lot of projections for Derrick Brown but Javon Kinlaw might be a better fit.

 

What does everyone else think so far?

All this is shuffling deck chairs, really. They haven't lost anyone or added anyone who would make a real difference, based on how they performed last year at least. Trufant isn't bad, Shelton isn't bad, but Slay is on his way out and Snacks is gone so that's a wash at best.

They'll find another DT, certainly. The real issues, exactly like you said, is how are they going to improve their coverage and especially how are they going to improve the pass rush?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am happy with the situation myself. It seems that slay is gone, and I am interested to see what we get for him. I think BQ is setting up the draft to trade back from 5-7 and get the best remaining defensive player Simmons/Okudah/Brown.

1. Collins can already cover the RB/TE if we add Simmons he will do that also. I was one of the first to suggest Simmons could end up being the pick at 3.

2. Simmons could provide this as well. Best case scenario we get Young when he falls to 3.

3. Derrick Brown/Kinlaw are great options with trade backs. There are still about 4 DT  out there id still be comfortable rolling the dice on in FA.

My mini mock at this point that I would like to see happen if Young is gone at 3.

Slay is traded for a 3rd hopefully second

1.3 trades to Miami

1.5 Simmons/Okudah

2.35 trades to Jacksonville for Yannick Ngakuoe

2.39 JK Dobbins
3.67 Josh Uche

Extra 2nd/3rd from slay trade goes to BPA at WR/G/OT

Edited by Lionized

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Collins can do 1 and 2. I expect Davis to see more work rushing. 

I think were targeting Simmons in the draft to be honest....maybe Okudah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

All this is shuffling deck chairs, really. They haven't lost anyone or added anyone who would make a real difference, based on how they performed last year at least. Trufant isn't bad, Shelton isn't bad, but Slay is on his way out and Snacks is gone so that's a wash at best.

They'll find another DT, certainly. The real issues, exactly like you said, is how are they going to improve their coverage and especially how are they going to improve the pass rush?

I dont think its fair to say Snacks and Shelton are a wash. Snacks was terrible last year. I think that's a clear upgrade.

Collins can help a ton in coverage and pass rushing. 

I do think we need to add more of an edge threat. I'm also not happy with what we've done offensively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my thoughts:

1.  Quinn and Patricia know this is it for them so they are grabbing a bunch of known quantities (ie Patriots). This generally never works in the league, see the 0-16 Lions that tried to be the Buccaneers.  While I like those former patriots as players and they fit the scheme; it’s the collection as a whole that makes me a bit frustrated by it.

2.  The RT. This is a big gamble.  If he pans out great.  We have RT locked up for 5 years on a contract that will be mid level RT money in a year.  Big gamble but whatever.  At least Quinn is gambling a bit which is nice to see since he loves to draft C+ talent and never take a swing on upside.

3.  Trufant.  I like the player.  I believe he’s been injured the past few years.  I hope this doesn’t mean we are trading Slay but unfortunately we are going to get rid of our best defensive player for a probably 2nd round pick and we are downgrading the position.  I would prefer to hold on to him.  Keep both and if possible get Okudah.  There’s no guarantee if trade down to 5 that someone won’t trade up to 4 to take him.  But if we do land him I think we move him into the lineup a little slower and then trade Slay.  I think we will get more for him after the season starts.

4.  Nick Williams.  Hopefully last year was a sign that he’s actually become a good player and will be a rotational DT.  

5.  Daniel.  Whatever.  Now is the year they get interested in a back up QB?  Plus one that has no experience in this offense...?  I would have preferred we try and package a deal with Miami to include Rosen in a trade down.  Or maybe grab a QB that could be a good backup and have he potential to flip for a pick if another team has their QB go down like say Jamis Winston.

6.  Shelton.  Good we didn’t overpay for a NT, plus he should know the scheme/system.  I think we should grab Billings to rotate/back up or just play next to Shelton in a run stuffing/goal line package.

7.  Harmon trade.  See point one.  Having said that I do think however if a talent like McKinney or Delpit fall to us would we pass on them?

 

Finally, have we really filled that many holes?  I feel like we are just replacing talent with lesser talent.  Just feels like we are spinning our wheels a bit.  Still need a RG, RB but perhaps we can get those in rounds 2-4.  We still need an edge rusher in the worst way.  I don’t think he’s worth it but if we spent big money on Clowney even on a one year deal I think it would go a long way to getting me excited.

One last thing.  Zach Baun.  If he’s there in the 2nd, man, he might have to be the pick.  That would pretty much give us the Pats LB core.  Tavai would play the Hightower roll.  Baun would be our Van Noy.  And Collins would be...well...Collins.  I think that would go a long way to giving Patricia what he needs to successfully run his D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, detroitroar said:

Collins can do 1 and 2. I expect Davis to see more work rushing. 

I think were targeting Simmons in the draft to be honest....maybe Okudah.

I have been calling Simmons our pick even at 3 (as long as Young is gone) for a while now. I feel it in my soul.

I also believe we are going to move Davis to outside LBer and unleash him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Quinn and Patricia know this is it for them so they are grabbing a bunch of known quantities (ie Patriots). This generally never works in the league, see the 0-16 Lions that tried to be the Buccaneers.  While I like those former patriots as players and they fit the scheme; it’s the collection as a whole that makes me a bit frustrated by it.

So far, the Lions have signed six players: Vaitai, Collins, Williams, Shelton, Daniels and Trufant. Only two, Collins and Shelton, have ties to NE. Throw Harmon into the mix and the majority of players we've acquired this off-season still have nothing to do with the Patriots.

I hope that helps you feel better about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think, as others have pointed out, this has been a lot of just replacing players that left from last year. However, I do think they are slight upgrades.  The exception is the OL.  I still don't like it.  I think our offense will take a step backwards, as of this posting.

I think the D will be better, if we somehow keep Slay, maybe significantly better.  I think this D could be reminiscent of the 2018 D if the DL is healthy, but I think this will depend largely on LB play.

I believe the offense is worse.  We need a solid G on the right side.  I think that position is the most important one left to fill in free agency.

I think, if we trade slay, the pick will for sure be Okudah no matter what.We have Trufant on a 2 year deal and then what?  CB's take a few years to develop and, as Karnage has pointed out in the past, NE teams build from the back forward.  I don't see how we wouldn't be grabbing him.  So, unless we trade a ton before the draft, I don't see how Okudah is not the pick.

Edited by LionArkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I agree. It seems like Okudah, Trufant and Coleman will be our starters, with Oruwariye developing behind them. If we get Okudah at 5 or 6, that is fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

So far, the Lions have signed six players: Vaitai, Collins, Williams, Shelton, Daniels and Trufant. Only two, Collins and Shelton, have ties to NE. Throw Harmon into the mix and the majority of players we've acquired this off-season still have nothing to do with the Patriots.

I hope that helps you feel better about it.

Throw Harmon in and it’s 42%. While not a majority it’s a significant percentage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Throw Harmon in and it’s 42%. While not a majority it’s a significant percentage.

Sure it is. In fairness, it's less than half, which contradicts how many paint the moves made by Quinn and Patricia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

So far, the Lions have signed six players: Vaitai, Collins, Williams, Shelton, Daniels and Trufant. Only two, Collins and Shelton, have ties to NE. Throw Harmon into the mix and the majority of players we've acquired this off-season still have nothing to do with the Patriots.

I hope that helps you feel better about it.

I have been growing frustrated with focus on ex- Pats.... this helps a bit. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Sure it is. In fairness, it's less than half, which contradicts how many paint the moves made by Quinn and Patricia.

42% of incoming vets are from ~3% of the other teams in the NFL. That's significant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

42% of incoming vets are from ~3% of the other teams in the NFL. That's significant.

Yeah, I already agreed that it was:

26 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Sure it is.

It's still not the majority of players that we sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×