Thoughts On Free Agency

Just Want A Title

1 minute ago, Nnivolcm said:

I would say it's significant enough it enforces the narrative Quinn and Patricia and NE.

That they feel more comfortable signing players that they know fit the scheme and have a strong work ethic?

I love me that narrative. Speaks volumes about Quinn and Patricia.

• Like 1

My problem with the Patriots players is we bring them in at their peak value.  NE finds bargains based on players playing out of scheme and they get a year or two out of them.  Then we sign their higher priced players that NE has determined are not worth the contracts desired because these guys are scheme specific and doing nothing special.  Last year they lose Flowers and go on to have the best D in the league because they know how to scout and find those cheap players.  Shelton was cheap, but if he offered enough value, the Patriots would have kept him on a cheap deal.  But he was average, and knows the system so lets bring him here.  

I fell like we got an upgrade at LB and the rest are lateral moves (Trufant is an upgrade at CB2 if healthy but a downgrade if we move Slay).   I like adding a solid backup QB because that killed us last year.  

We changed bodies at RT and got younger but the contract seems out of line with what Vaitai has done to earn it.  

We added depth to the D Line but not sure anyone is as good as A'Shawn (which isnt saying much).   I think we raised the floor on the other DT spot as Snacks was bad last year but there are no impact players there.  

Overall I am disappointed. We have filled holes but with very unspectacular players.  I'd rather overpay 1 or 2 really good players and fill in the holes with cheap average players than overpay a bunch of high priced average players. The dollars spent on the middle of our roster is why we can't win IMO.  Need to find the bargains. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That they feel more comfortable signing players that they know fit the scheme and have a strong work ethic?

Or the narrative that they don't know how to scout and find those players elsewhere.  Thats the way I see it, since none of these players have come in and set the world on fire. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Or the narrative that they don't know how to scout and find those players elsewhere.  Thats the way I see it, since none of these players have come in and set the world on fire. 

Which is strange, considering that the majority of the players they sign have no ties to NE at all. Doesn't that debunk that notion?

• Like 1

Which is strange, considering that the majority of the players they sign have no ties to NE at all. Doesn't that debunk that notion?

Not really, since none of their other free agent signings really work out great either.  Seems like they struggle to find guys that do what they need them to do.  It's why we have struggled so much over their tenure. 

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah that's a narrative. 

Only a few people are saying it, but if that's what you think is going on, great. It's expected.

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Not really, since none of their other free agent signings really work out great either.  Seems like they struggle to find guys that do what they need them to do.  It's why we have struggled so much over their tenure. 

... or Stafford getting injured.

I thought Marvin Jones and Devon Kennard were pretty good signings.

• Like 1

... or Stafford getting injured.

I thought Marvin Jones and Devon Kennard were pretty good signings.

I think the Marvin Jones signing was the better of the two, but it was still an overpay and a knee jerk reaction to Megatron retiring. He has been very inconsistent since he's signed.

I don't see the Kennard signing as a good signing. I was happy to hear he was released. 

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

3 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Yeah that's a narrative. 

Only a few people are saying it, but if that's what you think is going on, great. It's expected.

I was listening to Locked On Lions this morning and he had Pat from Pat's Pulpit (NE based) and he was talking about the culture change, bringing in guys that you're familiar with, know what they do/who they are. From an outside perspective that is familiar with the Patriots, he viewed 2018 as a rough year and that, in his word,  "they were coming around" in 2019. The reason that the Patriots are letting guys go and they're winding up on teams like the Lions and Dolphins is that they have 30 players making $1M+. These are veteran guys that you have on the roster for a playoff push. Now that Brady is gone, they're looking to rebuild/retool. Getting younger, cheaper players. 

Take this however you want to but I do think it's good to get a perspective outside of the Lions bubble. Especially from a guy that has an understanding of the players involved and what they are 'trying' (not currently succeeding at) to accomplish here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I was listening to Locked On Lions this morning and he had Pat from Pat's Pulpit (NE based) and he was talking about the culture change, bringing in guys that you're familiar with, know what they do/who they are. From an outside perspective that is familiar with the Patriots, he viewed 2018 as a rough year and that, in his word,  "they were coming around" in 2019. The reason that the Patriots are letting guys go and they're winding up on teams like the Lions and Dolphins is that they have 30 players making $1M+. These are veteran guys that you have on the roster for a playoff push. Now that Brady is gone, they're looking to rebuild/retool. Getting younger, cheaper players. 

Take this however you want to but I do think it's good to get a perspective outside of the Lions bubble. Especially from a guy that has an understanding of the players involved and what they are 'trying' (not currently succeeding at) to accomplish here. 

That kinda makes sense, but in 2020 NE didn't want these guys for their asking price without Brady's contract to limit them.

We have Stafford's contract limiting us, and we paid their asking price. 

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Flowers
Amendola
Melvin
Jean-Francois
Collins
Shelton
Harmon
Blount
Cassell
Wilson

Thats a lot of free agents and traded players from one team.  I am sure there are more I am missing but based on the number of free agents we sign a year, a third of them have NE ties.  

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, having players that buy into your message is crucial. From that perspective, this roster was stacked against Patricia from the beginning.

Just ask Rod Marinelli about that, right? 

You can have the most try hard of the try hards, you can't win in the NFL without talent. A good coach has the ability to manage talent. 

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

That kinda makes sense, but in 2020 NE didn't want these guys for their asking price without Brady's contract to limit them.

We have Stafford's contract limiting us, and we paid their asking price. 

Because the Patriots are looking to build the next dynasty while Patricia is still in the process of bringing his version of the "Do Your Job" culture to Detroit. Another difference in all of that is they had 42 year old and now 43 year old Tom Brady where we have 32 year old Matthew Stafford. Our window is still open for at least another 5 years, assuming he can stay healthy. 

• Like 2