Thoughts On Free Agency

Just Want A Title

12 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

So far, the Lions have signed six players: Vaitai, Collins, Williams, Shelton, Daniels and Trufant. Only two, Collins and Shelton, have ties to NE. Throw Harmon into the mix and the majority of players we've acquired this off-season still have nothing to do with the Patriots.

I hope that helps you feel better about it.

Harmon, Collins, Shelton, Amendola.  That's four...and it doesn't.  haha.  Seriously though whatever.  Either it works or the whole thing burns to the ground and we start over again next year.  Rinse and repeat: The Lions way...

9 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I agree. It seems like Okudah, Trufant and Coleman will be our starters, with Oruwariye developing behind them. If we get Okudah at 5 or 6, that is fantastic.

That would be awesome.  I am worried that someone might trade up to 4 to grab him.  maybe the Chargers jump up to 4 for Herbert.  I also have the feeling if they like him they won't risk trading down and take him at 3.  The Bob Quinn way.

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Flowers
Amendola
Melvin
Jean-Francois
Collins
Shelton
Harmon
Blount
Cassell
Wilson

Thats a lot of free agents and traded players from one team.  I am sure there are more I am missing but based on the number of free agents we sign a year, a third of them have NE ties.  

Also I believe Coleman also had a stop and a cup of coffee with the pats.

6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh boy. One unsuccessful coach a point does not prove. I could respond with a list of the best head coaches of all time, but the point is too obvious to require such effort.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we don't need talent. Talent wasn't mentioned... it's assumed. We had plenty of talented players that didn't buy in, and the result was disappointing. We need players that do buy in. (Talent assumed.)

A good coach gets his players to buy in.  He doesn't jettison his good talent for a bunch of try hard yes men.

9 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

A good coach gets his players to buy in.  He doesn't jettison his good talent for a bunch of try hard yes men.

That's the issue: how far does this new coach have to go? When you've won Super Bowls elsewhere with hard practices, and you implement those same practices somewhere else, and players start to complain, what approach do you take? Stop what you know helps a team achieve success because some pampered millionaires are complaining, or expect them to act like professionals and adjust?

Players have to want to play for a coach. (I'm not going to pretend that my years as a youth flag football coach is relevant in any way, but this element of sports has to translate: if a player doesn't like the coach, and doesn't want to be there, their play on the field will show it loudly and clearly. It's believed that this was a contributing factor in our disappointing 2018 season.)

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That's the issue: how far does this new coach have to go? When you've won Super Bowls elsewhere with hard practices, and you implement those same practices somewhere else, and players start to complain, what approach do you take? Stop what you know helps a team achieve success because some pampered millionaires are complaining, or expect them to act like professionals and adjust?

Players have to want to play for a coach. (I'm not going to pretend that my experience as a youth flag football coach is relevant in any way, but this element of sports has to translate: if a player doesn't like the coach, and doesn't want to be there, their play on the field will show it loudly and clearly. It's believed that this was a contributing factor in our disappointing 2018 season.)

I will tell you from my experience as a youth tackle football coach... ride them hard. Constant conditioning. Drill, drill, drill. 

These are the keys to success.

I have since been banned from the league for reasons unknown. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Players have to want to play for a coach. (I'm not going to pretend that my years as a youth flag football coach is relevant in any way, but this element of sports has to translate: if a player doesn't like the coach, and doesn't want to be there, their play on the field will show it loudly and clearly. It's believed that this was a contributing factor in our disappointing 2018 season.)

It's called being able to adapt.  Do you think the whole world should adapt to 1 man or 1 man adapt to the whole world?

Look in the end there are going to be some bad seeds you need to get rid of.  But we don't have a player to the level of AB.  Patricia needs to be better at adapting.  The toughest part of upper management is always the people not the job.  Same is true in sports and coaching.  Managing player personalities is always the more difficult part of coaching.  The good ones are able to do it.  Look I hope i'm wrong.  As bad as the Lions were last year (and they were bad)  I can still see how we can somehow be good this year.  But if I'm really being honest with myself this Quinn/Patricia thing is going to be one more bad regime that won't work for the Lions.

• Like 1