Thoughts On Free Agency

Just Want A Title

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Patricia has been around a winning team but as an assistant, not the guy in charge.We have seen a great many coaches from the Patriots that cant duplicate BB’s success. We have never seen a coach from the Patriots that duplicated or even came remotely close to his success.

Players from a winning team that are let go. They don’t fit the Patriots plans. BB proving he’s still the smartest guy in the room.

Belichick is controlling a machine. It wasn't always this way: he has created a system where his additional comp picks - often in the 3rd round - allow him to draft and develop additional depth. When a player is due a sizable contract, he can comfortably let them walk, knowing that he has a replacement on the roster... and that the free agent will net him another comp pick.

The Lions aren't at that point right now, just as Belichick wasn't at that point entering his third season. It doesn't make Collins any worse a football player.

In theory, all free agents are let go. Does that mean that we shouldn't sign any of them?

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Belichick is controlling a machine. It wasn't always this way: he has created a system where his additional comp picks - often in the 3rd round - allow him to draft and develop additional depth. When a player is due a sizable contract, he can comfortably let them walk, knowing that he has a replacement on the roster... and that the free agent will net him another comp pick.

The Lions aren't at that point right now, just as Belichick wasn't at that point entering his third season. It doesn't make Collins any worse a football player.

In theory, all free agents are let go. Does that mean that we shouldn't sign any of them?

How well have assistant coaches from New England faired once leaving to become head coaches?  How often does the production of the players that leave New England via free agency or being traded diminish noticeably?  Just because coaches and players succeeded in New England doesn’t mean it will carry over to their next team, actually history shows the opposite in the majority of the cases,

42 minutes ago, Michael1976 said:

How well have assistant coaches from New England faired once leaving to become head coaches?  How often does the production of the players that leave New England via free agency or being traded diminish noticeably?  Just because coaches and players succeeded in New England doesn’t mean it will carry over to their next team, actually history shows the opposite in the majority of the cases,

This is as close to replicating NE outside of Foxborough than what really has been done before in a while. A defensive minded coach that was a part of building the NE defense for a very long time plus a scout who was a part of that same operation for a long time are joined together. Not to say it's a guarantee to work but if it is going to work anywhere, it will be here. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This is as close to replicating NE outside of Foxborough than what really has been done before in a while. A defensive minded coach that was a part of building the NE defense for a very long time plus a scout who was a part of that same operation for a long time are joined together. Not to say it's a guarantee to work but if it is going to work anywhere, it will be here. 

I guess I feel that New England built something that really can’t be replicated.  I know business/people want to mimic greatness, but somethings can’t.  I would love for the Lions to have the success that New England had, but I think they need to do it in their own unique way (although that hasn’t work out well either).  I don’t have an answer for how to build the next great dynasty, but I don’t think this is the way to di it imo.

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd say Tennessee is closer to replicating NE outside of NE. They're actually winning games, and that's the thing NE has been known for.

13 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I'd say Tennessee is closer to replicating NE outside of NE. They're actually winning games, and that's the thing NE has been known for.

It's not just about winning games although that certainly is a factor. I'm talking about NE in its purest form structure wise, scouting wise, etc. 

For a guy that was a question mark due to his inexperience, Vrabel has done a spectacular job down there. I would have been happy with either him or Patricia at the time. I expected Vrabel to have more of a slow burn start like Patricia has had and for Patricia to have the early success Vrabel has had. The Titans have drafted a lot of the players that I really liked for the Lions (Rashaan Evans, Harold Landry, Jeffrey Simmons, AJ Brown). 

• Like 2