Rams sign DT A'Shawn Robinson (2 year, $17 M)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, DirtyDez said:

Will they let one of Kupp/Ramsey hit FA next year? 

Doubtful.  We've done all this without (to my knowledge) moving any money around from Goff's and Donald's current cap-hits so that's still going to be an option available to us and we have more similar flexibility in other contracts next offseason.  The real albatross is Gurley (I'm still suspect and calling hot air on the "teams are interested in trading for Gurley" rumors).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Will they let one of Kupp/Ramsey hit FA next year? 

No both Gurley and Cooks are much easier to get out of next year and like LBC said we can clear up close to another $30 million with a couple restructures. Our cap situation was greatly exaggerated as most are. 

• Like 1

This is not a great move IMO. A'shawn was good against the run but that was playing with the best run stuffing DT in the league at the time in Snacks. He vastly underperformed until last year, going into a contract year. Good luck my SoCal friends. He's all yours now. 

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

So Littleton, Weddle, Fowler, Robey-Coleman and Brockers out 

Floyd and Robinson in

I mean, Weddle's replacement was already on the roster and drafted last year in Taylor Rapp; he not-so-arguably outplayed Weddle when he wasn't injured last season anyway.  Plus we'll be getting John Johnson Jr. back from IR.

Littleton's really the main need-to-replace, but it had alway kind of been my expectation that Staley wanted to put his own imprint on the ILB's here anyway because that position has been such a pivot point of Fangio-styled defenses.  I'm expecting a Day 2 draft pick to likely get used on this position.

• Like 4

I don't know about this one. We just lost the Brockers comp pick. And that's a lot of money to pay A'Shawn. He should be effective in the role he plays with us (5-Tech run stopper), and I thought he was a guy we might target, but this was more than I hoped to pay.

12 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

He’s playing next to the best defensive player in the league. He’s gonna have to give effort 

Not really as the checks will still come, but I just think he should show more than he does.

Effort or mentality, like being perpetually pissed at the media, but he's got the game to be better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

uhhhh don't the Rams have a dude that is about 60x better than Snacks Harrison next to him?

And he was in a contract year. Now he has been paid. AR was also a run stuffing, non-pass rushing DT playing next to a better version of himself. It could work out but it is far from a lock.