Rams sign A'Shawn Robinson - 2 yrs/$17M

Dr LBC

I'm good with this. As most will say probably more than he should have been paid but 95% of contracts so far were that way. AD one one end and a rotation of Gaines and Robinson at NT with Fox and Joseph-Day at the other end of AD. They clearly want to solidify the front 3 against the run. 

11 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I'm good with this. As most will say probably more than he should have been paid but 95% of contracts so far were that way. AD one one end and a rotation of Gaines and Robinson at NT with Fox and Joseph-Day at the other end of AD. They clearly want to solidify the front 3 against the run. 

I still think that technically the alignment is closer to a 4-3 Over than a 3-4.  So we're likely looking at a lot of interchangeability where the nose is the only position that doesn't move around a lot.  Given that Robinson is a natural 2-gapper, that's likely his role, but he does have experience dating back to Bama playing multiple techniques and in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him shaded as a 1-Tech or even a 5-Tech at times, depending on the match-up.  Realistically outside of AD, we may not have the same set downed linemen starters week to week, I can see the idea of being able to go matchup-based appealing to McVay, and that's one of the hallmarks of the Fangio-styled defense.  Gives us two-gappers and stauncher run defenders for those matchups against run-heavy Seattle and San Fran, while allowing some of those same guys (and different ones integrating in) to focus more on eating blocks and freeing up others on the defense to make plays against more pass-happy Arizona and the like.

Based off the way his teammates at Alabama talked about him too, attitude wise he's going to fit in really well with the culture on this defense.  He's a talker, but not necessarily a complainer.  If he sees something he doesn't like, he's going to speak his mind, but he's not going to undermine coaches.

• Like 1

I don't know about this one. We just lost the Brockers comp pick. And that's a lot of money to pay A'Shawn. He should be effective in the role he plays with us (5-Tech run stopper), and I thought he was a guy we might target, but this was more than I hoped to pay.

45 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I still think that technically the alignment is closer to a 4-3 Over than a 3-4.  So we're likely looking at a lot of interchangeability where the nose is the only position that doesn't move around a lot.  Given that Robinson is a natural 2-gapper, that's likely his role, but he does have experience dating back to Bama playing multiple techniques and in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him shaded as a 1-Tech or even a 5-Tech at times, depending on the match-up.  Realistically outside of AD, we may not have the same set downed linemen starters week to week, I can see the idea of being able to go matchup-based appealing to McVay, and that's one of the hallmarks of the Fangio-styled defense.  Gives us two-gappers and stauncher run defenders for those matchups against run-heavy Seattle and San Fran, while allowing some of those same guys (and different ones integrating in) to focus more on eating blocks and freeing up others on the defense to make plays against more pass-happy Arizona and the like.

Based off the way his teammates at Alabama talked about him too, attitude wise he's going to fit in really well with the culture on this defense.  He's a talker, but not necessarily a complainer.  If he sees something he doesn't like, he's going to speak his mind, but he's not going to undermine coaches.

I think Gaines will be the NT. Robinson is likely the 5-Tech. If you look at Fangio's defenses, they've tended to use guys who were short and squatty NTs (Isaac Sopoaga, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Shelby Harris, Eddie Goldman, etc.). A'Shawn is taller than all of those guys, whereas Greg Gaines fits the archetype at 6'1" 315.