Do you even prep bro?

Totty

Crazy times folks.  I am currently sitting at home on a 14 day quarantine from work.  As I sit here I am thinking of all the things I can get done.  Home projects, finally getting to organizing the garage.  Cleaning out the vehicles.  ETC.  There is only so much to do at the house before you go nuts.  

Which got me thinking.  With all the panic about toilet paper, or non-perishable foods.  The necessities of a normal home life.  What are the essentials at your house?  Do you prep?  Do you keep stuff on hand in the basement or maybe have a deep freeze to keep perishables from spoiling?  Do you keep ammo?  What rounds do you find to be the best?  I have a ton of questions because I think after this it may be a good idea to keep just a little more on hand.  

Not a panic topic by any means, just and informational tip or idea sharing thread to help novices like myself.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Why the **** do people think they need ammo? Are you legitimately preparing to kill people? 

@Heimdallr The same ish you’ve seen with TP the last week happens with ammo every election cycle.

I shoot 200 rounds a week and refuse to panic buy, so I stock up when it’s plentiful. 

Also, it’s a commodity.  I can sell my ammo for 20% or more than what I paid for it right now.  

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Dumb discussion anyway tbh “why do you have more than you need at this exact moment of ___ !?!?”

Because I want it, I can and can afford to have it.  Not much else needs to be said imo.

I get this... I am not trying to start ad argument thread by any stretch... There isn't anything wrong with being prepared at all.  It doesn't matter what it is, if you need it in your household, should probably have it in whatever quantity on hand.   

• Like 1

Just now, Totty said:

I get this... I am not trying to start ad argument thread by any stretch... There isn't anything wrong with being prepared at all.  It doesn't matter what it is, if you need it in your household, should probably have it in whatever quantity on hand.   

I meant re:ammo.

And there’s no argument, I love me some @Heimdallr too much for that.

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not you specifically, it just seems like (especially lately) everyone opinion is 'right' and that just isn't the case.  There is no right or wrong answer for how someone runs their household.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get it - I shot trap and buy extra shells when they are cheap. 

But a rush on ammo in a situation like this is just equally bizarre to me as the TP situation. Just why?? You know most those people are gonna wish they had cash and not TP pretty soon here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Totty said:

Not you specifically, it just seems like (especially lately) everyone opinion is 'right' and that just isn't the case.  There is no right or wrong answer for how someone runs their household.

Agreed.  If you don’t want it, don’t buy it, plain and simple.

I do think folks should prepare a bit more than most do anyway. Those who can afford to anyway.

Myself included tbh.

Just now, Heimdallr said:

But a rush on ammo in a situation like this is just equally bizarre to me as the TP situation. Just why?? You know most those people are gonna wish they had cash and not TP pretty soon here.

What happens if he market crashes, and money has not value but TP and ammo do? lol

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.  If you don’t want it, don’t buy it, plain and simple.

I do think folks should prepare a bit more than most do anyway. Those who can afford to anyway.

Myself included tbh.

Aside from ammo, what kind of stuff do you keep on hand?  

Just now, Heimdallr said:

Nah, I’m with you there.  I was gonna buy 2 more cases (2k rounds of 556) this Friday (worked some OT) and between the panic buying and market that’s a hard pass.

I have enough to shoot frequently enough for a year.  When it comes back around I’ll stock up again when prices are good.

These dudes buying a ton now are nuts. If you honestly believe you need a store of guns and ammo (no judgement, I do) wtf have you been waiting on the last few years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Totty said:

Aside from ammo, what kind of stuff do you keep on hand?  

The stuff we use a lot.

A few months ago I spent 400 on TP and paper towels.  We had some amazon gift cards from work and said “this stuff won’t go bad”.

Pet food, dry “long shelf life” foods like beans and rice, etc.  The beans and rice is dirt cheap and lasts forever.  When folks stop losing their minds, throw some in your pantry for like $10. Same goes for canned goods.  Even if some end up going bad because you’re lazy it’s only a few bucks.

I generally don’t stock water.  I’m in Ohio, it rains, I have a sink, etc.  We have some, not a ton.

Cash, a few hundred at a minimum.  Depending on my spending on hobbies, a grand or two, in the home.