Eagles trade for CB Darius Slay

EaglesPeteC

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-darius-slay-is-poised-to-bounce-back-for-the-philadelphia-eagles?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff&cjevent=698aa23b6d2d11ea83fe00180a24060c

"Covering receivers in man coverage is one of the most difficult things to do on the football field, as evidenced by the PFF grades when cornerbacks are targeted in single coverage. Only a handful of cornerbacks graded above 60.0 over the last two seasons, as they’re generally going to be targeted when receivers have separation. Slay faced more of these targets than all but two corners."

Slay's grade of 56.4 is actually really solid when put into proper context of what he's asked to do.

Edited by EagleBlueDon

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Sheldon was the best corner we've had since probably Troy Vincent.

Lito was better. This forum overrates sheldon because of the Reggie Bush tackle and forgets that he got owned by basically every good WR that was 6'2" or taller. Asante was better in coverage, but a much worse tackler. I remember Asante tackling a guy by basically doing the bend over and touch your toes stretch. He tackled the guy using his spine.

The best CB we've had since Troy was Patrick Robinson in our SB year. He played very well from the slot, and it was the most unexpected thing ever, because he was the worst cb I'd ever seen in preseason.

Edited by Jeezla

7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Lito was better. This forum overrates sheldon because of the Reggie Bush tackle and forgets that he got owned by basically every good WR that was 6'2" or taller. Asante was better in coverage, but a much worse tackler. I remember Asante tackling a guy by basically doing the bend over and touch your toes stretch. He tackled the guy using his spine.

Sheldon Brown was good at coverage. Lito and Asante gave up more plays but also got more picks.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:21 PM, Jeezla said:

The best CB we've had since Troy was Patrick Robinson in our SB year. He played very well from the slot, and it was the most unexpected thing ever, because he was the worst cb I'd ever seen in preseason.

Robinson was great in the slot when he was on the Chargers so it wasn't crazy to me to see him play well there again. Somehow the Eagles cannot find an outside corner worth a damn but they have had some luck finding slot corners with Boykin, Robinson, and now LeBlanc.

• 2 weeks later...

Using some of this free time to watch each of Slay's coverage snaps in 2019. Have done this with a few CBs before so I already had a bit of a system in place for recording the data. I'm almost done with Slay, but then I'll want to look at an elite CB like Gilmore, a mediocre CB like Darby, and then maybe one other respected CB to give better insight into the data. 

Couple notes, and maybe others were already clear on this but I was not, Slay had pretty absolute shadowing responsibilities in 2019 which obviously is pretty rare for CBs. That alone speaks to how highly Lions staff thinks/thought of him, since that requires some sacrifices from the rest of the defense to afford moving 1 CB constantly (every DB will now need to be comfortable anywhere). He shut down Cooper big time in their matchup, but McLaurin gave him a ton of trouble. Actual yards and catches he allowed aren't too bad (3 catches in man for 42 yards on 10 targets, 1 catch in zone for 26 yards), but Haskins missed multiple deep throws to McLaurin where Slay simply got beat by the speed and had trouble really getting hands on him for a jam. Watching that game, I really came away just more scared of McLaurin than disappointed with Slay... and to think, he could have been ours but instead we are stuck with JJAW.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Using some of this free time to watch each of Slay's coverage snaps in 2019. Have done this with a few CBs before so I already had a bit of a system in place for recording the data. I'm almost done with Slay, but then I'll want to look at an elite CB like Gilmore, a mediocre CB like Darby, and then maybe one other respected CB to give better insight into the data. 

Couple notes, and maybe others were already clear on this but I was not, Slay had pretty absolute shadowing responsibilities in 2019 which obviously is pretty rare for CBs. That alone speaks to how highly Lions staff thinks/thought of him, since that requires some sacrifices from the rest of the defense to afford moving 1 CB constantly (every DB will now need to be comfortable anywhere). He shut down Cooper big time in their matchup, but McLaurin gave him a ton of trouble. Actual yards and catches he allowed aren't too bad (3 catches in man for 42 yards on 10 targets, 1 catch in zone for 26 yards), but Haskins missed multiple deep throws to McLaurin where Slay simply got beat by the speed and had trouble really getting hands on him for a jam. Watching that game, I really came away just more scared of McLaurin than disappointed with Slay... and to think, he could have been ours but instead we are stuck with JJAW.

bUt He Iz 29 AnD PfF sAyS hE sUcKs!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not too crazy about holding missed throws by a QB to WR against a CB, such as Haskins missing McLaurin multiple times. Feel like that happens to almost every CB multiple times, in multiple games lol. Plus, this McLaurin matchup is the only matchup I hear about these big misses by the QB happening. That, in itself, speaks to Slay's coverage success.

11 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Haskins missing McLaurin has been the story of McLaurin's career. Terry should have easily had over 1000 yards his final season at Ohio State, but Haskins would just stare down Parris Campbell underneath and never even notice McLaurin just destroyed the CB outside. Apparently the Redskins/Rivera were all-in on Amari Cooper, but he obviously chose to go back to Dallas. That's a blessing in disguise for Washington. They already have a #1 WR.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I have game pass as well and I haven't seen the feature to look at a specific players snaps what am I missing? 

Just type their name into the search bar

https://gamepass.nfl.com/page/searchplays?team=slay

after you search slay in the search team bar at the top right it'll bring you to a new page and just click the player search button to switch it from team to player 

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh
  • Like 1