slay traded

flyguy1609

47 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

62-50

That's literally winning.

9-22-1

That's literally losing.

What are you even talking about.

This is complete and utter nonsense. He was frustrated and snapped about something that clearly didn't matter. A reporter slouching doesn't matter. He should be thinking about his crap team rather than the posture of men he doesn't employ.

Huh? When did I say that Patricia has won while in DET? He certainly has not. He had to shift the defensive personnel and inherited a team of spoiled, sensitive millionaires that had to be purged before progress could be made. Last year, just at the point where progress was clearly being made, he lost his starting QB for the season. Oh well. This year will be telling.

Under Caldwell, this team was 36-28, an average record of 9-7, with zero playoff wins. The good teams in this league would believe that those four years were a failure. In DET, we view those years as "winning". It really says a lot.

If you think a reporter slouching while asking a NFL head coach questions doesn't matter: so be it. I wouldn't think it's acceptable to talk to your boss while slouching, nor would it be acceptable to talk to a person of significance that way. You can disagree, and that's fine. I think many view it as disrespectful. (I love how the media reported this as Patricia "freaking out at a reporter". We've gotten soft as a people.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think calling what Caldwell did here a "winning culture" speaks volumes: 11-5, then 7-9, 9-7 and 9-7... or a 9-7 average during his four years. To the good teams in this league, that's a bad four year stretch, with only one acceptable season and zero playoff wins. To a Lions' fan, that's "winning".

Yet you can’t stop talking about how successful there 3-4-1 start was before Stanford got hurt last year

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Yet you can’t stop talking about how successful there 3-4-1 start was before Stanford got hurt last year

Yeah, as it provides context. With Stanford: 3-4-1. Without Stanford: 0-8. Based on that, one can reasonably suggest that we aren't a 3-12-1 team with a healthy Stanford.

I've never used it to argue that we suddenly have a "winning culture", and certainly wouldn't do that after four years of 9-7 football.

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

If you think that's soft, imagine getting mad because someone else in your workplace isn't sitting up straight. :$

But... did you watch the video? He didn't raise his voice, didn't yell, didn't freak out. He just asked him to sit up and respect the process of a reporter asking a NFL head coach questions.

Is there anyone here that would slouch in their chair while talking to the owner of your company? If yes, I'd love to hear more.

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, as it provides context. With Stanford: 3-4-1. Without Stanford: 0-8. Based on that, one can reasonably suggest that we aren't a 3-12-1 team with a healthy Stanford.

I've never used it to argue that we suddenly have a "winning culture", and certainly wouldn't do that after four years of 9-7 football.

I don’t think anyone ever suggested the Lions would still have finished 0-8 with a healthy Stafford your just talking in circles trying to sound reasonable. They won 3 out of 8 games with Stafford ( don’t start the he was already hurt excuses, seriously when all of your arguments are excuses for failure for over a decade reality should set in at some point). So they probably win 6 games with a full season of Stafford with 2 wins against the bears and another over the Skins. That’s still terrible and would only have kept them out of position to steal a generational talent at QB in this draft, which they’ll completely blow anyways because there lame ducks putting personal interest over the franchise 

1 hour ago, BigC421/ said:

I don’t think anyone ever suggested the Lions would still have finished 0-8 with a healthy Stafford your just talking in circles trying to sound reasonable. They won 3 out of 8 games with Stafford ( don’t start the he was already hurt excuses, seriously when all of your arguments are excuses for failure for over a decade reality should set in at some point). So they probably win 6 games with a full season of Stafford with 2 wins against the bears and another over the Skins. That’s still terrible and would only have kept them out of position to steal a generational talent at QB in this draft, which they’ll completely blow anyways because there lame ducks putting personal interest over the franchise 

I also think the other argument is true.  A 9-7 coach, whose head coaching record is best when he first takes over someone else's team is a winning coach.  Now, if we consider slightly above 500 and missing the playoffs winning, then as a fan base we have issues. As a fan base, I think we have come to where we appreciate the individual players over the Detroit Lions.  Probably for good reason.

Honestly, I don't think this Detroit Patriots Lite experiment is going to work for a multitude of reasons.  I also think with these comments coming out publicly Patricia's seat is going to be even hotter now. Personally, I don't agree with Patricia's comments. I do think if Slay made the comment about Patricia sucking Belichick's ****, I believe Patricia would laugh if it was on the sideline, but be furious if Slay said it during a professional meeting.  Personally, if my boss told me to quit sucking some one, I'd probably be looking for both a job and a defense lawyer.  If one of my coworkers said it, I'd probably laugh and rib him back.  This, to me, is an example of not knowing your audience and a supervisor of any merit should know his audience before he engages them with personal jokes/attacks.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/matt-patricia-lions-garrett-hudson-worst-person-football/\

Guys a total nobody, but it certainly says something.

I watched Patricia scold a grown man for not sitting up straight. He certainly wasn't kidding about that.

I don't think this is a humor issue. I think this is a 'Patricia is a weirdo that says weird stuff at weird times" type of thing.

12 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

According to Hudson, in that article, about Patricia cussing out Kerryon Johnson for not knowing the year Ford Field was constructed:

"It was funny as hell and Kerryon didn't seem affected by it. Some guys don't mind his personality and way of doing things."

Coming from a player that hates him, I'd say that quote speaks volumes: Patricia is a ball-buster. He's brash, he's loud, he's profane and he probably thinks he's pretty funny. Yet, many players have stated that they'd love to play for him, and players that have spent years with him in NE don't seem to hesitate to sign here.

Most importantly: if he wins games, no one will care.

What we aren't mentioning is that Patricia had told the players they would be quizzed on this information and they have plates throughout the facility that has these tidbits about the team. This is a matter of minor effort and attention to detail. THAT is why Patricia unloaded on Kerryon about this. He knew that they would be asked about this and the information is readily available as they're walking through the facility. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm legitimately baffled that people can take this viewpoint. I don't care if things don't upset you, you have to understand that they can upset other people and act somewhat accordingly... It's part of the social contract. These are things we expect other people to understand... especially when leading other men.

TL, you're completely ignoring the bit where he said,

"Matt Patricia is literally the worst person I’ve encountered in my entire football career. I was excited when the lions cut me. It was that bad"

You're all smarter than this. This is not normal behavior.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/matt-patricia-scolds-reporter-for-his-posture-just-kind-of-sit-up-

Ball busting? Give me a break. The dude is imbalanced.

I completely understand the social contract aspect of daily life, but he didn't make a prejudiced or racial remark. He made a comment regarding how skilled he is at football. 

However, I did forget that the world we live in now warrants bubble wrapping people and avoiding criticism of any kind in fear of hurting peoples feelings... 

That said, I do see your point about Patricia specifically and how this adds to his behavior overall... Most of this did happen during his first year on the job though. 

Are there any examples of this behavior after his "self reflection" between year 1 and year 2?

• Like 1

Just now, Karnage84 said:

What we aren't mentioning is that Patricia had told the players they would be quizzed on this information and they have plates throughout the facility that has these tidbits about the team. This is a matter of minor effort and attention to detail. THAT is why Patricia unloaded on Kerryon about this. He knew that they would be asked about this and the information is readily available as they're walking through the facility. 

Oh wow. I mean... that's some key information. Incredible.

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh wow. I mean... that's some key information. Incredible.

I can't remember where I heard this. I listen to Locked on Lions, Michael Rothstein Show (ESPN), Detroit Lions Breakdown, Ken Brown and Mike O'Hara, Sean Baligian and Scott Bischoff, Pride of Detroit. My best guess is that it came from the Breakdown Podcast. They will have gotten that information from an article, beat reporter, etc. 

When you put it into that context, it makes way more sense than Patricia being a knucklehead. They're coming into an organization, he wants them to learn the history, buy into the organizational culture, etc. However, it really is about attention to detail. I was watching Do Your Job and Do Your Job 2. Hightower was held by the LT on some play, and it didn't get called. However, Patricia had done film study and knew that the specific referee would call holding because it was called on a very similar play. They ran Hightower at the guy again on a similar play, he got held and the penalty was called.  

• Like 1