slay traded

flyguy1609

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Which is what we're in the middle of right now. There's a fan base that is pessimistic to the point of negativity (which is justified to an extent) and they're trying to change the internal culture of losing to eventually bring championships (that's the goal). If we didn't win 9-7 with Caldwell, we would probably be giving them the proper 3-5 years to turn this around. The issue we have is that they were the proverbial 9-7, never getting over the hump team and then we moved on. 

I fully admit they have an incredible uphill battle, and right now, I'm not so sure they are climbing it well.

19 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

We'd only get a (late) 3rd round comp pick if we 1) didn't sign any free agents of value, and 2) he was still worth this contract at that time. There's always the chance that he underwhelms, gets hurt or refuses to play, lowering his value considerably.

Instead of risking all of that, we got a mid-3rd round pick this year, in a deep draft, with an extra 5th.

Considering we could just have likely left this Slay situation with practically nothing, a 3rd and 5th is decent compensation.

Quinn and Patricia should know the comp pick formula and be able to plan accordingly. 

There's always a chance someone gets hurt. Slay just went to the Probowl as a CB on a team with no pass rush. I hope this regime has a plan to improve the pass rush for 2020, which should greatly increase Slay's value. 

Honestly, I'd rather have a 3rd in the future than a 3rd and 5th this year. I expect Quinn and Patricia to be gone next year, and would want the next regime to have more ammo to get things going instead of being stuck with this regime's left overs who might not fit. 

18 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Reading quotes from professional millionaire athletes complaining about "tough practices" makes me shake my head. If you don't like a coach because he makes you practice hard, you don't deserve the contract you signed for.

I understand this thought process but it’s also just plain refusing to evolve with the times.  It will Patricia who ends up left holding the bag not the talented players who don’t want to put the extra miles on there bodies. 

It also doesn’t help when the so called leader is a complete slob who routinely late to everything with a do as I say not as I do attitude.

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I fully admit they have an incredible uphill battle, and right now, I'm not so sure they are climbing it well.

Oh I agree. However, we really are only going into year 3 of a rebuild. This is the year that we really should be measuring things. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

I understand this thought process but it’s also just plain refusing to evolve with the times.  It will Patricia who ends up left holding the bag not the talented players who don’t want to put the extra miles on there bodies. 

I don't agree. Many teams run demanding practices, the Patriots included. And, regardless of that, you signed a million dollar contract to play a sport. You weren't promised easy practices, or a friend as a coach. If the coach tells you to run sprints, or to practice in pads more frequently, complaining about that is childish.

I dont fully understand the comp pick formula..

How can it be next years signing vs next years loses when the comp pocks are assigned before free agency? 

Unless I am incorrect and they are assigned based on the previous years gains vs losses. If that is the case, we wouldnt be getting the Slay comp until the following offseason.. Right?

11 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

It also doesn’t help when the so called leader is a complete slob who routinely late to everything with a do as I say not as I do attitude.

To be fair, much of the tardiness had been corrected. He also toned down the practices.

This was according to multiple reports during the season which spoke to MPs self reflection last offseason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

How can it be next years signing vs next years loses when the comp pocks are assigned before free agency? 

Unless I am incorrect and they are assigned based on the previous years gains vs losses. If that is the case, we wouldnt be getting the Slay comp until the following offseason.. Right?

Slay was still under contract for 2020. He wouldn't be a FA until 2021 so next year's FA gains and losses would impact the 2022 comp picks. 

2 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Good point.

In other words, we wouldn't be getting the comp pick until the 2022 draft. So, instead of having a mid 3rd and 5th right now, we'd have to wait two drafts to possibly get a late 3rd.

Yeah. As far as value goes, moving him now was the right call.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

You get comp picks in the next draft based on free agents signed vs free agents left in the previous year. So we would be looking at a Slay comp pick in 2022 assuming that we didn't sign anyone to replace him of equal value and he played out his contract with us this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Good point.

In other words, we wouldn't be getting the comp pick until the 2022 draft. So, instead of having a mid 3rd and 5th right now, we'd have to wait two drafts to possibly get a late 3rd.

Yeah. As far as value goes, moving him now was the right call.

IMO ammo for next regime is better than ammo for regime about to get fired. Rarely is a future pick worth more than a current pick, but this is one of those rare times. 

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

IMO ammo for next regime is better than ammo for regime about to get fired. Rarely is a future pick worth more than a current pick, but this is one of those rare times. 

That's being biased against Patrica and Quinn. They aren't looking to stockpile the war chest in the hopes they get fired. If they turned down the ability to get a better future pick in exchange for a lower current pick, then you could argue against that. If they took a current 5th but could have a 2021 3rd, then they're not doing the best thing for the team. If the max value is a 3rd now or a 3rd two years from now (maybe), you take the 3rd and make it work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nnivolcm said:

I dont get how you can definitively say that when this is universally regarded as a very deep draft and you've acknowledged the holes on the roster.

This is the best QB we've ever had and hes still in his prime. The time is now.

• Like 1