slay traded

flyguy1609

Just now, Karnage84 said:

That's being biased against Patrica and Quinn. They aren't looking to stockpile the war chest in the hopes they get fired. If they turned down the ability to get a better future pick in exchange for a lower current pick, then you could argue against that. If they took a current 5th but could have a 2021 3rd, then they're not doing the best thing for the team. If the max value is a 3rd now or a 3rd two years from now (maybe), you take the 3rd and make it work. 

I'll admit to being biased against Patricia and Quinn. But it's based on their performance so far. 

I'm also biased about the Fords telling Quinn and Patricia they're gonna be fired after 2020 unless ... whatever. 

I think that was beyond stupid for the franchise long term. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Slay was still under contract for 2020. He wouldn't be a FA until 2021 so next year's FA gains and losses would impact the 2022 comp picks. 

I mean we could have always used the franchise tag on him and pushed it back even more if we didn't trade him

1 minute ago, detroitroar said:

I dont get how you can definitively say that when this is universally regarded as a very deep draft and you've acknowledged the holes on the roster.

This is the best QB we've ever had and hes still in his prime. The time is now.

I expect this regime will be fired after 2020 because I don't think they're capable of putting together a winning team, and the Fords have publicly stated they would be fired if they didn't meet expectations. 

In 2021 a new regime will come in and want to run their system. I think many of the players acquired by this regime won't fit the next one. Stafford is the best QB we've ever had, but the Stafford window might not remain open long enough for the next regime to use him. 

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

I'll admit to being biased against Patricia and Quinn. But it's based on their performance so far. 

I'm also biased about the Fords telling Quinn and Patricia they're gonna be fired after 2020 unless ... whatever. 

I think that was beyond stupid for the franchise long term. 

Which is fine. I can't blame you for it, they haven't done a lot to prove they deserve blind faith. I can understand why they don't have a firm line in the sand. If Stafford goes down early, they win 8 games and the rest of the team plays really well but they don't make the playoffs, you're in a tough position if you said "playoffs or bust". This gives them flexibility to make a decision in the 3rd year of a rebuild (which is what this is) without forcing yet ANOTHER rebuild if they don't feel its warranted. 

4 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I mean we could have always used the franchise tag on him and pushed it back even more if we didn't trade him

Yep... but that's assuming he would be willing to play under it. And wouldn't be a locker room distraction while angling to be traded/wanting a new contract. 

31 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I expect this regime will be fired after 2020 because I don't think they're capable of putting together a winning team, and the Fords have publicly stated they would be fired if they didn't meet expectations. 

In 2021 a new regime will come in and want to run their system. I think many of the players acquired by this regime won't fit the next one. Stafford is the best QB we've ever had, but the Stafford window might not remain open long enough for the next regime to use him. 

If they don't make the playoffs I expect the same. I really do. Based off what you said, about the Fords... saying what they said... lol. 

I'm just waiting to get reinvigorated by the new regime, changes, etc, It'll buy my interest again for awhile unless I start sniffing out rats like I did with this regime basically since the Matt Patricia hire. I wanted Caldwell fired, cause I really thought a lot of games we lost were due to in game coaching problems, and in game management. Getting someone better at that part of the coaching gig would of improved that Lions team a lot imo. I thought BQ was going out and doing that, when really he took a completely different direction and hood-winked the entire fan-base at the same time. Realistically, one can argue, just a better play calling OC could of made those Lion teams with Caldwell much better. Maybe... even just a legitimate NFL running back. 

Anyways, things could get crazy next year with a new regime in place. Stafford trades, tons of roster moves, a complete and proper rebuild. Idk... could be a train wreck again or could be a pretty fun rise to watch. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I think that last part is very fair. 

I guess I think Quinn deserves a tad more respect. This isn't Millen.

You have more faith in the unknown than when Quinn has done more good than bad on this roster...I think.

I will say I'm still skeptical on Patricia though.

I’ve been against trading Darius Slay but after watching him on twitter last night, I think the move was necessary. He was beyond disgruntled and started to become a distraction. I love Slay, but $17 per year is more than I would pay him, especially when we are in prime position to draft Okudah on a rookie contract. We also picked up Trufant on a very reasonable deal. Add in growth from guys like Oruwariye... and I actually think moving on from Slay now is the right choice. Limits the distraction and doesn’t allow him to negatively impact young CBs with his antics right now. 

Now we have a 3rd, 5th and $10 million in added capspace to bolster the defense. Those are prime assets that potentially could add 2-3 solid/good players to a unit that needs a lot of work. 

I wish Slay good fortunes moving forward and appreciate all he’s done for the Lions. But this is a team that is not one player away. And if we want to be a perennial winning team and super bowl team, we need more than a pro bowl CB to do it. Although technically we added a pro bowl CB in Trufant for less money. Even though this move hurts, ultimately I think they did the right thing and we’ll be better off for it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Respectfully, I believe that the part in bold is the (main) source of the friction around here.

You obviously aren't wrong for feeling that way, and I know many others share that opinion, but half of the posters here are hoping for this team to fail in 2020, while the other half are hoping that they succeed. To one side, failing will mean the end of Quinn and Patricia, which would allow the franchise to begin the next rebuild with a "better" GM/coach. This half tends to view only the negative of every decision made, while the other half views the positive. (It also leads to every positive poster being labeled a 'homer'.)

How many wins in 2020 would it take for you to feel that Quinn and Patricia are good at their jobs and should remain our GM/coach for the foreseeable future?

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Respectfully, I believe that the part in bold is the (main) source of the friction around here.

You obviously aren't wrong for feeling that way, and I know many others share that opinion, but half of the posters here are hoping for this team to fail in 2020, while the other half are hoping that they succeed. To one side, failing will mean the end of Quinn and Patricia, which would allow the franchise to begin the next rebuild with a "better" GM/coach. This half tends to view only the negative of every decision made, while the other half views the positive. (It also leads to every positive poster being labeled a 'homer'.)

How many wins in 2020 would it take for you to feel that Quinn and Patricia are good at their jobs and should remain our GM/coach for the foreseeable future?

What I expect and what I'm hopeful for are two different things.

I'd love for my expectations to be proven wrong and to see this team become a winner with Patricia and Quinn in 2020 and beyond. I wanted Quinn to succeed when he was hired, and Patricia when he was hired. I've had four years of watching Quinn and two years of watching Patricia. Based on the product they've managed to put on the field, I don't see how they're going to be here in a year after the Fords said what they said.

There is no over/under on wins that'll make me think this regime will turn the Lions into winners. Saying just a number would ignore a heck of a lot of context, and I know how important that is to you. Winning a playoff game would certainly have me rethinking my expectations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

But to be fair, they would sign more average backups to 10M a year deals to offset anything Slay would have provided.  There is a reason NE gets a load of comp picks every year. 

Hopefully the next regime has a different plan. 

6 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

There is no over/under on wins that'll make me think this regime will turn the Lions into winners. Saying just a number would ignore a heck of a lot of context, and I know how important that is to you. Winning a playoff game would certainly have me rethinking my expectations.

Interesting.

If Stafford got hurt in pre-season and this team went 7-9 with Daniels under center, would you think that Patricia should keep his job?