slay traded

flyguy1609

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

This is the most I’ve posted in my 10 years on this forum. I guess that’s the only good thing about this virus.

I was always reading post on here for years. Then I decided to start posting. I used to get into debates, but as in life you learn who to stay away from. Sometimes the conversations just are not worth it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Oh. Wow. Well, two things I can speak from my experiences:

1. I'm a LEO too, I'm very familiar with the "cop humor" and I'd still get hot if my supervisor was making those kind of statements to me. Real leaders don't do that. Those "jokes" sound like the kind of jokes you make when you want to make someone quit. If your supervisors have been making those kind of "jokes" to you, maybe it's time to think about a change.

2. You're probably not one of the top 5 best in the world at what you do. You probably don't have the leverage to get paid millions of dollars for your services. What has Patricia done to earn the right to say that to anyone who has proven way more than he has?

3. Respect needs to be earned before you can make those kind of "jokes". Patricia has done nothing to earn that respect. When Patricia was hired Slay was coming off a 1st team all pro season. Patricia got to Detroit as a rookie head coach and he's taken a middle of the road team into a bottom 3 team.

4. This quote adds a bit of context:

Why would you want to publicly insult one of your best players if not to satisfy your own ego? That's bad leadership and it's no wonder he's had such problems getting people to follow  him. 

Oh man. We said a lot worse stuff to each other in the patrol room. No question. Again, it was never personal. I've never been insulted more, and enjoyed myself more, than in those rooms.

What has Patricia done? Well, he was hired as head coach. I bet that's all he's concerned about.

It sounds like, from your quote, Patricia was clearly busting balls. It sounds like a joke, and a pretty clear one at that. Appropriate? Eh, I'm not there so it's tough to say. But it's clearly a joke, and I doubt he's the first (and only player) to be on that side of things from Patricia.

Of course, if Patricia leads this team to success, I doubt anyone will care.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionized said:

I was always reading post on here for years. Then I decided to start posting. I used to get into debates, but as in life you learn who to stay away from. Sometimes the conversations just are not worth it. 

I think I started around 2004 lurking for about two or 3 years before I joined. I got kind of tired of who has the best argument and left for a while and went back to lurking. There were some awesome posters on here and there still are.

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I think I started around 2004 lurking for about two or 3 years before I joined. I got kind of tired of who has the best argument and left for a while and went back to lurking. There were some awesome posters on here and there still are.

I think the first year I got introduced to the forum was the year we drafted Suh. I definitely miss a lot of the old posters. The Detroit Lions part of the forum used to be a lot more active. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh man. We said a lot worse stuff to each other in the patrol room. No question. Again, it was never personal. I've never been insulted more, and enjoyed myself more, than in those rooms.

What has Patricia done? Well, he was hired as head coach. I bet that's all he's concerned about.

It sounds like, from your quote, Patricia was clearly busting balls. It sounds like a joke, and a pretty clear one at that. Appropriate? Eh, I'm not there so it's tough to say. But it's clearly a joke, and I doubt he's the first (and only player) to be on that side of things from Patricia.

Along with you and your experience in the Police department. I am a Superintendent in the electrical field. I tell you what there is nothing more freeing to be able to speak your mind and joke around with everyone no matter what title you have. Some of the best times is when the guys are roasting each other making jokes. In my opinion it can build a stronger relationship between the group and individuals. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lionized said:

Along with you and your experience in the Police department. I am a Superintendent in the electrical field. I tell you what there is nothing more freeing to be able to speak your mind and joke around with everyone no matter what title you have. Some of the best times is when the guys are roasting each other making jokes. In my opinion it can build a stronger relationship between the group and individuals. 

Without question. It relieves stress and builds camaraderie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

Are you really asking this?

Then why is he mentioning it now? Just for fun?

Because they traded him? He begged for the trade and he's psyched as hell about it!

Because he's got a grudge against Patricia? If so, why?!

How does it somehow not reflect badly on Patricia that a relationship with one of the best players on the team went that bad? It doesn't matter how! It's not like Slay is some career knucklehead, he's hard working, great talent, never gets in trouble, has always been passionate about being a Lion. If you lose a relationship with that kind of guy, that's a monumental screw up. Monumental. 

Your ability to come up with ways to lick the Lions boots never ceases to amaze.

Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson was one of my favourite players for a very long time. He flamed out in NE in part because he couldn't be his boisterous self. It's not what they do. There is a reason that Gronk isn't running back out of retirement despite Brady and co. asking him before. Amendola has commented on playing for BB. You give up a part of your personality and sacrifice some $ to win rings. Slay was accustomed to Caldwell's approach and Patricia came in trying to do the NE thing, because that is what he kmows and that has worked. Based on these comments, Slay seems to have been holding a grudge since day 1. For those who say he hadn't done anything, he is a multi-SB winning DC. Inexperienced as a HC and probably came in too eager but it's not like he went from WR coach to HC. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh. Wow. Well, I can only speak from my experiences, but between the Marine Corps and state police, a lot of brutal stuff was said between one another on any given day. And I've never gotten paid millions to stand around and say it... I can imagine that environment could be even worse.

Thank you for your service, my man. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I am teaching a class at our local community college. There's a couple students that I have a good rapport with. I have openly joked that they aren't going to pass for stupid reasons (one guy is from another city and doesn't like my hometown compared to his. In fairness, his is a really nice city). I have spent hours talking before and after class with this group providing career advice along with other assistance. It's one thing to joke in a malicious way, it's another to do it in a way where they know it's friendly. Maybe Patricia's joke crossed the line. Slay could have addressed that and said he didn't appreciate it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I am teaching a class at our local community college. There's a couple students that I have a good rapport with. I have openly joked that they aren't going to pass for stupid reasons (one guy is from another city and doesn't like my hometown compared to his. In fairness, his is a really nice city). I have spent hours talking before and after class with this group providing career advice along with other assistance. It's one thing to joke in a malicious way, it's another to do it in a way where they know it's friendly. Maybe Patricia's joke crossed the line. Slay could have addressed that and said he didn't appreciate it. 

Definitely.

In the MLive article about the Slay interview, Slay said that the "second year was good... second year was no problem", and he confirmed that he wanted an extension with Detroit. It sounds like he just had an interaction with Patricia that he didn't like and didn't clear the air about it with him.

It's a shame that he left Detroit the way he did. I really like Slay, as both a person and a player.

38 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson was one of my favourite players for a very long time. He flamed out in NE in part because he couldn't be his boisterous self. It's not what they do. There is a reason that Gronk isn't running back out of retirement despite Brady and co. asking him before. Amendola has commented on playing for BB. You give up a part of your personality and sacrifice some $ to win rings. Slay was accustomed to Caldwell's approach and Patricia came in trying to do the NE thing, because that is what he kmows and that has worked. Based on these comments, Slay seems to have been holding a grudge since day 1. For those who say he hadn't done anything, he is a multi-SB winning DC. Inexperienced as a HC and probably came in too eager but it's not like he went from WR coach to HC. 

I think, right or wrong, a lot of people won’t give Patricia credit for the Super Bowls or his rings. Most people give the credit to bb or Tb. How many dc’s have won rings there and not done a thing anywhere else? It’s hard for any NE coach to overcome.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2