slay traded

flyguy1609

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The issues really were that he wanted to be paid the biggest contract for a CB and they didn't want to pay him that. Then he got his nose out of joint, they traded away his buddy and then he REALLY got his nose out of joint. We'll see how it shakes out but it's not really a mystery on what happened. 

Of course it’s no mystery. The Patriot gods walked in and pissed allot of players off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

The issues really were that he wanted to be paid the biggest contract for a CB and they didn't want to pay him that. Then he got his nose out of joint, they traded away his buddy and then he REALLY got his nose out of joint. We'll see how it shakes out but it's not really a mystery on what happened. 

If they didn't want to pay Slay what PHI gave him, fine. I disagree with it, but fine.

If they forced him to play out his contract, they most likely would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him when he left in a year. So IMO they traded a year of play from a top CB for a 5th round pick. Not a good return imo. 

I will always be a fan of Big Play Slay. Best of luck to you in Philly Darius. Sorry it didn't work out in Detroit. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

If they didn't want to pay Slay what PHI gave him, fine. I disagree with it, but fine.

If they forced him to play out his contract, they most likely would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him when he left in a year. So IMO they traded a year of play from a top CB for a 5th round pick. Not a good return imo. 

I will always be a fan of Big Play Slay. Best of luck to you in Philly Darius. Sorry it didn't work out in Detroit. 

You're assuming that he would come and play or wouldn't be a locker room distraction. He has been a pretty vocal guy. I agree with you 100%, I would rather have kept him but they must know what the landscape looks like and decided they might as well get that 3rd now with the 5th as sweetener + open up $10M in cap space. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

Of course it’s no mystery. The Patriot gods walked in and pissed allot of players off. 

See, I have a hard time with this comment.  I understand when you come in to a new place, you have to get buy in from your players, but why?  The Lions have done nothing for over, what is it going on now, almost 70 years?  Why do they have to cater to the players.  Both Quinn and Patricia had rings, were brought in to change the culture and take us from our magnificent 9 win seasons, that us as fans so desperately want back.  Then you have a civil war break out and they have to dump talent.  This is the ex-patriots fault?  No, I think it is a bunch of overpaid losers bitching because it wasn't as easy as what Caldwell had for them.  Has this regime done anything to earn the right from us fans? Nope, not for us Lions fans, but neither have the players.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You're assuming that he would come and play or wouldn't be a locker room distraction. He has been a pretty vocal guy. I agree with you 100%, I would rather have kept him but they must know what the landscape looks like and decided they might as well get that 3rd now with the 5th as sweetener + open up $10M in cap space. 

And do what with that 10M? Use it in more guys like Big V?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Hard to know what the comp pick would look like.. We are signing quite a bit of players this year who could play a lot of snaps. 

I think they probably weighed that and decided there was too much uncertainty.. 

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Caldwell was able to control Slay's locker room personality. If Slay was out of control in the locker room it speaks more about Patricia than it does Slay imo. 

Call me crazy, but I doubt BQ and MP use the freed up $10 million in a way with greater impact than an elite CB1.

4 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Hard to know what the comp pick would look like.. We are signing quite a bit of players this year who could play a lot of snaps. 

I think they probably weighed that and decided there was too much uncertainty.. 

No one signed this year would impact next year's comp pick formula.