slay traded

flyguy1609

4 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Caldwell was able to control Slay's locker room personality. If Slay was out of control in the locker room it speaks more about Patricia than it does Slay imo. 

Call me crazy, but I doubt BQ and MP use the freed up $10 million in a way with greater impact than an elite CB1.

I'd kind of expect Caldwell to be able to.  Slay wasn't good his first couple of years and Caldewell benched him.  It wasn't unti the last two with Caldwell where Slay made big improvements.  But it's fair to say MP didn't control him at all.  It's also safe to say a lot of other players don't want to play for MP, like Richard Sherman.  I think MP might induce a gag reflex from a lot of NFL players.

Edited by LionArkie

18 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

If they forced him to play out his contract, they most likely would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him when he left in a year. So IMO they traded a year of play from a top CB for a 5th round pick. Not a good return imo. 

We'd only get a (late) 3rd round comp pick if we 1) didn't sign any free agents of value, and 2) he was still worth this contract at that time. There's always the chance that he underwhelms, gets hurt or refuses to play, lowering his value considerably.

Instead of risking all of that, we got a mid-3rd round pick this year, in a deep draft, with an extra 5th.

Considering we could just have likely left this Slay situation with practically nothing, a 3rd and 5th is decent compensation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'd kind of expect Caldwell to be able to.  Slay wasn't good his first couple of years and Caldewell benched him.  It wasn't unti the last two with Caldwell where Slay made big improvements.  But it's fair to say MP didn't control him at all.  It's also safe to say a lot of other players don't want to play for MP, like Richard Sherman.  I think MP might induce a gag reflex from a lot of NFL players.

I can't recall who it was but someone commented about how it'll be interesting to see Brady in TB, being as demanding as he is. It's one thing to do it with BB's backing but it's another when you're going into a completely different environment and making the same demands. He's still Tom Brady so the guys will listen but it's going to be a big shift out of their comfort zone too. 

16 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

See, I have a hard time with this comment.  I understand when you come in to a new place, you have to get buy in from your players, but why?  The Lions have done nothing for over, what is it going on now, almost 70 years?  Why do they have to cater to the players.  Both Quinn and Patricia had rings, were brought in to change the culture and take us from our magnificent 9 win seasons, that us as fans so desperately want back.  Then you have a civil war break out and they have to dump talent.  This is the ex-patriots fault?  No, I think it is a bunch of overpaid losers bitching because it wasn't as easy as what Caldwell had for them.  Has this regime done anything to earn the right from us fans? Nope, not for us Lions fans, but neither have the players.

Since Cadwell’s worst season was better than Patricia’s best season and the general thought that the player’s wanted to play for Cadwell and not kicking down the door to get out of Detroit.  I do blame the ex-Patroits as I want an organization that the players want to play for, not fight to get out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

A lot of former players have come forward and said that they want to play for Patricia. For what it's worth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

A lot of former players have come forward and said that they want to play for Patricia. For what it's worth.

Yes, I know his former players love him.  I think that's why we grab so many, but I think league wide, people don't like his style.  Personally, I like seeing the grueling practices.  Changes things up a bit.

• Like 1

Pretty much worse case scenario, not even a high 3rd at that. As has been pointed out would have gotten a 3rd comp pick and the same cap relief in a year anyway.  Can’t wait til we hear about team X that offered a better deal at the trade deadline last year.  This isn’t the NBA I really don’t understand this logic that you have to trade a guy because he speaks out about wanting a new contract. He was under lions control for the next 3 years and there was little he could do about without completely tanking his own value on the market.  Chris Jones hasn’t been happy with his situation, seems to be working out just fine for the chiefs.

Obviously the record should improve if Staffords healthy but I’m not seeing anything that suggests this team has improved so far this offseason and is likely going backwards.  I’d 100% on board with that if we were selling off and planning to draft Tua and be in a prime position for that year 3-4 rookie deal sweet spot but I’m pretty sure these guys just aren’t good at running a football organization 

• Like 1

Just now, LionArkie said:

Yes, I know his former players love him.  I think that's why we grab so many, but I think league wide, people don't like his style.  Personally, I like seeing the grueling practices.  Changes things up a bit.

A lot of people hate playing for the Patriots but love winning championships. They've been able to take guys off the scrap heap and turn them into studs and they've had stars with personalities that get crushed and don't wind up doing a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

A lot of people hate playing for the Patriots but love winning championships. They've been able to take guys off the scrap heap and turn them into studs and they've had stars with personalities that get crushed and don't wind up doing a lot. 

that makes it tough when you're in Detroit though.  No championships, divided fan base, crappy ownership.

5 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

As has been pointed out would have gotten a 3rd comp pick and the same cap relief in a year anyway.

This is an inaccurate oversimplification.

We would have only gotten a (lower) 3rd round comp pick next year if the following were true: 1) we didn't sign any significant free agents next offseason, and 2) Slay was still worth that same contract. Had he gotten hurt, his play declined or he refused to play, he wouldn't be worth that deal, leaving us without that comp pick.

Instead, we took the mid-3rd and 5th in a deep draft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

that makes it tough when you're in Detroit though.  No championships, divided fan base, crappy ownership.

Which is what we're in the middle of right now. There's a fan base that is pessimistic to the point of negativity (which is justified to an extent) and they're trying to change the internal culture of losing to eventually bring championships (that's the goal). If we didn't win 9-7 with Caldwell, we would probably be giving them the proper 3-5 years to turn this around. The issue we have is that they were the proverbial 9-7, never getting over the hump team and then we moved on. 

• Like 2