Rams release RB Todd Gurley (Page 7)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, DerbyRam said:

Gurley managed the exact same numbers of TDs as Zeke with less touches last season - Zeke had a top 5 line (arguably a top 2 run block line) and Gurley had a bottom 5 line (arguably the worst run block line). It wasn't even Gurley's worst professional season and he came back after the last one and put back-to-back all-pro seasons together. 

If you ask me it would be utterly idiotic for the Rams to trade Gurley, beyond words. If he does go, especially to one with a good OL, then I wouldn't be surprised if he really puts up big numbers again. Teams without an elite back should be looking to take advantage of the absolute ineptitude of the Rams FO. 

If we're trying to trade him, there's something more to it than production.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Watt + Donald would be fun to watch...

Watt in LA would be fantastic, actually. It would jumpstart his movie career, he could live out my dream for him by getting cast as Ben Grimm/The Thing alongside Jim Halpert and his wife Jenna Fischer... This would make me happy. 

Cooks and Gurley for Watt and two seconds, and exclusive rights to the MCU role of Ben Grimm.

This is the greatest trade - ever.

• Like 1

If he stays beat the tires off him. If he leaves great he opens up more cap to fill in players or use that money on Ramsey.. It’s a win win..

The system made him a stud. He’s no longer able to cut or run out the zone scheme. He’s lost massive acceleration and forgot to catch. Over 20 drops of easy catches these last 2 years including playoffs. Dude forgot how to play.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

Gurley managed the exact same numbers of TDs as Zeke with less touches last season - Zeke had a top 5 line (arguably a top 2 run block line) and Gurley had a bottom 5 line (arguably the worst run block line). It wasn't even Gurley's worst professional season and he came back after the last one and put back-to-back all-pro seasons together. 

If you ask me it would be utterly idiotic for the Rams to trade Gurley, beyond words. If he does go, especially to one with a good OL, then I wouldn't be surprised if he really puts up big numbers again. Teams without an elite back should be looking to take advantage of the absolute ineptitude of the Rams FO. 

You outlined exactly why we SHOULD trade him, and why you should never pay a RB big money.

Look at it like this: paying Gurley is why we couldn't re-sign Saffold.

Which run game is better?

What Gurley did last year?

Or Brown/Henderson with Saffold and a better OL? For me this is the easy choice.

• Like 1

Just now, FrantikRam said:

You outlined exactly why we SHOULD trade him, and why you should never pay a RB big money.

Look at it like this: paying Gurley is why we couldn't re-sign Saffold.

Which run game is better?

What Gurley did last year?

Or Brown/Henderson with Saffold and a better OL? For me this is the easy choice.

I love Saffold as much as the next guy, but he wouldn't have solved the problems at C, RG, and RT. Outside of Whitworth, the entire OL was a disaster last year. I also disagree with the idea that you shouldn't pay HBs. Pay the good/great ones early. Before Gurley's issues began, he was a MVP caliber player who was a major reason why the scheme was working as well as it was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I love Saffold as much as the next guy, but he wouldn't have solved the problems at C, RG, and RT. Outside of Whitworth, the entire OL was a disaster last year. I also disagree with the idea that you shouldn't pay HBs. Pay the good/great ones early. Before Gurley's issues began, he was a MVP caliber player who was a major reason why the scheme was working as well as it was.

That's true, but we still should have waited to pay him. With RBs, any RB, what happened to Gurley can happen easily, and from the time McVay got here we had too man players to pay - at the time I thought we should let Gurley go after his 5th year option, and I still stand by that.

29 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

Zeke also went for 500+ more yards than Gurley.

53 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He got paid good money because he was one of the driving forces for the scheme's success. We didn't foresee the knee issues, obviously. (And no HB makes "insane money.")

Again, CJ put up the same performances at the end of the 2018 season so I don't see how Gurley was so essential that it couldn't be done without him and justified his huge paychecks.

Just now, lolsurebro said:

Zeke also went for 500+ more yards than Gurley.

Again, CJ put up the same performances at the end of the 2018 season so I don't see how Gurley was so essential that it couldn't be done without him and justified his huge paychecks.

Because C.J. added nothing in the passing game. A lot of Gurley's value in our scheme came from him being a great runner, receiver, and blocker. It meant that we could keep him on the field in every set and on every down without tipping our hand. And you had to respect him as both a runner and a receiver.

• Like 3

Can Gurley still play at a high level?  I didn't watch many Rams games last season, but there were times where they just wouldn't run the ball with him in the backfield.  It's hard to tell if they were doing that because he can't play at a high level, or if they were doing that because McVay gets in these little modes where he just won't run the ball.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

Can Gurley still play at a high level?  I didn't watch many Rams games last season, but there were times where they just wouldn't run the ball with him in the backfield.  It's hard to tell if they were doing that because he can't play at a high level, or if they were doing that because McVay gets in these little modes where he just won't run the ball.

Could he? Yes. Am I confident he will? Not right now.