Rams release RB Todd Gurley (Page 7)

RaidersAreOne

Am I the only one who thinks that Gurley’s contract isn’t that bad for someone trading for him? It basically becomes a 2 year, 22 million deal for whoever gets him. It’s not some albatross. 

Edited by winitall
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, winitall said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Gurley’s contract isn’t that bad for someone trading for him? It basically becomes a 2 year, 22 million deal for whoever gets him. It’s not some albatross. 

Like Brandin Cooks, it's worse for the Rams than the team acquiring him. There are downsides to it. You'd have to pay him $13.05M this year (fully guaranteed) and $5M next year is guaranteed. But he'd only count $9M against the cap next year. 

48 minutes ago, winitall said:

If I’m the Bucs I at least make an offer.  They should have enough cap to take on their rookies, Brady, Gurley, and maybe 1 smaller contract.  So I would offer the extra 4th round pick they have and go from there.  Gurley(if healthy) would be a huge asset for that offense.  Brady, Gurley, Evans, Godfrey, and Brate is a great set of offensive weapons.  

1 hour ago, winitall said:

To me, that's kind of horrific. But I never want to pay running backs anything close to that (though obviously as the cap increases, my willingness to pay higher should go up) 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Tampa makes sense since they're all-in on the next 1-2 years, but I don't know why anyone would trade for Gurley when you can probably get Melvin Gordon for a cheaper contract all the while not having to give up any assets to get a trade done. 

Considering the last report was that Melvin Gordon hasn't seen a single offer remotely close to the $10m AAV he shined when the Chargers offered him just prior to his holdout, the only impetus to getting Gordon on a cheaper contract is Gordon himself.  That said, Gordon's vision is no bueno (Dude, legit doesn't see holes developing) and isn't exactly a yards-after-contact beast by any means.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Thing is, other teams hold all the leverage here. Rams need to move him today. If the best offer they get is a 5th and nobody budges, they will have to take it or keep him.

The need to move him is overblown by the media in order to have a more splendorous headline now that Brady and most of the QB's have signed.  We're not in danger of being over the cap if we don't trade Gurley, we still have the capability to create more cap space if need-be.  The team is just exploring options - likely, as was noted earlier in this thread - they saw what kind of return the Cardinals just got on David Johnson (whose back injury last season was a bigger concern than anything else he's suffered recently) and thinking they might actually be able to get out from under the contract (sort of) while getting a solid return (doubt they will).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

The same wording that's been on this site since the contract was signed. 

https://overthecap.com/player/todd-gurley/3858/

League year starts March 18th and the 3rd day of the league year is March 20th. 

So you trust your interpretation of Over the Cap more than the NFL's own network and all these guys with thousands of NFL contacts reporting this live on the air right now? 

2b02ewx.jpg