Rams release RB Todd Gurley (Page 7)

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Watt in LA would be fantastic, actually. It would jumpstart his movie career, he could live out my dream for him by getting cast as Ben Grimm/The Thing alongside Jim Halpert and his wife Jenna Fischer... This would make me happy. 

Cooks and Gurley for Watt and two seconds, and exclusive rights to the MCU role of Ben Grimm.

This is the greatest trade - ever.

Wtf did I just read? You didn't even keep the names consistent

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think that's a bad idea for him. He should be thinking about extending his career, considering his knees. 

I can see why he would want to take a 1 year prove it deal and get some bulk stats though, that does make sense. 

All about the benjamin's 

That is true, but then if you restructure someone else to create cap, you increase their cap hit in subsequent years, and you have less flexibility down the road. By not restructuring someone else, you keep that as an option should the need to create cap for a separate move later. So, its better to use the tools at your disposal now, rather than not use them. don't fire all of your bullets right now, so to speak

I see no benefit to not using june 1st designation if you are just going to try and create space elsewhere.

I have a finance degree. This type of accounting is fun to me :D

You're right. I was angry about the decision. That affected my take on it. I was wrong. You are right.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How do you allow yourself, as a team, to give him that contract and then just outright release him like 2 years later because the contract was so bad? Just seems like wildly incompetent money management.

As an aside, Todd Gurley shot up to stardom then crashed back down to reality faster than almost any RB I've seen.

Most teams cannot predict future injuries. It would be like asking why the Redskins traded all those picks for 1 year of RG3. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How do you allow yourself, as a team, to give him that contract and then just outright release him like 2 years later because the contract was so bad? Just seems like wildly incompetent money management.

As an aside, Todd Gurley shot up to stardom then crashed back down to reality faster than almost any RB I've seen.

You can't control injuries. If Gurley is healthy, he plays out the contract. Crap happens.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pwny said:

So are we finally accepting that he has arthritis as a fact? Because I know certain people were really mad at trusting the reports that claimed it to be the case last off-season.  

I think it’s something worse than that tbh. Even Wade played without knee cartilage for his whole college and NBA career.. It’s something worse? What it is? Idk. Wish Todd the best. Was an absolute stud.. Had an insane run and a sure fire HOF had he kept that pace. I love our team now. It’s fully shifted to Goffs control. Gonna love this team. We had a bunch of guys make crazy money with no impact(Brock, Todd and NRC).. At least the money will be allocated to pure studs(Jalen, Kupp and JJ). 

Just now, jrry32 said:

I've never heard of Brandon Thorn. But as I told you, even if Robinson proves to be a downgrade (which is far from guaranteed), you're talking about a minimal difference. Brockers wasn't an impact player.

I thought you would have jrry. He is a fantastic OL evaluator. He works with Duke Manyweather a lot. I think he, Thorn, may have been at the Lane Johnson OL summit a few months ago as well.

• Like 1

I have no idea who Thorn is either, but giving @minutemancl the benefit of the doubt that he may not be aware that certain Rams blogs like Turf Show Times have been overrun in terms of who is editing/writing them more recently by Seahawks and Niners fans who post nothing but doom and gloom.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I thought you would have jrry. He is a fantastic OL evaluator. He works with Duke Manyweather a lot. I think he, Thorn, may have been at the Lane Johnson OL summit a few months ago as well.

I don't really follow football analysts on social media. I know the guys who have sites and put scouting reports on them, but I don't recall him popping up at all.

Just now, The LBC said:

I have no idea who Thorn is either, but giving @minutemancl the benefit of the doubt that he may not be aware that certain Rams blogs like Turf Show Times have been overrun in terms of who is editing/writing them more recently by Seahawks and Niners fans who post nothing but doom and gloom.

Well that sounds awful. I don't visit football blogs like that; not for my Giants, and especially not for any other teams. I try to stick to reading articles by evaluators I trust, wherever their material gets published. Normally its places like ETR and ITP and threads on twitter.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Eh, that's where I've heard of Thorn from.  He showed up in Duffy/Duffman's RT's and replies a number of times recently.  Twitter's got some fantastic positional analysts out there, but I trust their opinions on their specialties, not on all players as a whole.  For example, I've met Robert Ortiz (Raiders fan, another OL analyst, and an actual OL coach); I actually helped him find his current job.  But I wouldn't hold up his opinion on guys outside his specialty (OL) over Joe Checkmark's on Twitter, and Rob would have no issue with that whatsoever.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Well that sounds awful. I don't visit football blogs like that; not for my Giants, and especially not for any other teams. I try to stick to reading articles by evaluators I trust, wherever their material gets published. Normally its places like ETR and ITP and threads on twitter.

There's a good site for Rams stuff that's in relative infancy right now.  Quality writers are abandoning the SB Nation ship like rats afraid of getting drowned right now.  I kind of feel bad for Kyle Posey (another guy I know and who was getting some of my stuff published when I had the free time to actually write it - read: "Before LBC had kids") because he just got an SB Nation editorship last year and now that cluster is just a mess - even if he's still churning out quality content.

• Like 1

From an outsiders perspective - 

There were a ton of borderline obnoxious Rams threads/comments in this forum just a few short years ago...

Jared Goff = Peyton Manning, Gurley’s medicals are fine, Sean McVay is a modern day Nikola Tesla, every seemingly outrageous $ signing = our organization is next level when it comes to cap we’ll be just fine, etc.

Some people are acting pompous about it, sure, but now that what a lot of non-Rams fans got called “haters” for the past few offseasons is coming to fruition, going into full “stop kicking us while we’re down” mode almost immediately seems a little weak tbh

• Like 2