2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

This time up to the draft is gonna be fun on this site.

Obviously the majority of posters are all in on an OT at 11, while I’m in the group leaning towards the dark side apparently wanting a WR.

Bottom line is we should be getting a great player at 11.  And I think we can all agree that all our TVs will be wrecked if we pick a defensive lineman not named Chase Young.

• Like 2

For the sake of argument, let’s say we take Ruggs and he becomes as good as Hill. How far are the Jets skill players from the Chiefs? 

Ruggs vs Hill

Crowder vs Watkins

Perriman vs Hardman 

Herndon/Griffin vs Kelce (significant difference)

Bell vs McCoy/Williams

I’d rather have KC’s players because of Kelce. He’s significantly better than our TEs But if Ruggs becomes Hill, we don’t look awful. Of course, the biggest difference will be the QB and coach. They have future HoF at both spots. Our iOL looks even but we’re missing a tackle to be as good on the OL. 

Edited by SDotNova

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

For the sake of argument, let’s say we take Ruggs and he becomes as good as Hill. How far are the Jets skill players from the Chiefs? 

Ruggs vs Hill

Crowder vs Watkins

Perriman vs Hardman 

Herndon/Griffin vs Kelce (significant difference)

Bell vs McCoy/Williams

I’d rather have KC’s players because of Kelce. He’s significantly better than our TEs But if Ruggs becomes Hill, we don’t look awful. Of course, the biggest difference will be the QB and coach. They have future HoF at both spots. Our iOL looks even but we’re missing a tackle to be as good on the OL. 

We don’t have Mahomes, who makes those guys great

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yea. I know. It’s hard to isolate the QB. They also have one of the best offensive coaches in history. 

It’s like when people say we don’t need great weapons bc teams win without them. But those teams winning without them have HOF QBs. And some people need to realize Darnold isn’t even in the conversation for anything close to great. Not saying this is you by any means. But there’s several people on here who don’t value skill players really. That don’t see this big difference between Ruggs and Hamler, Jeudy and Van Jefferson, Lamb and Shenault. When for me I see a HUGE difference.

• Like 2

This is how I see it. I see the big 3 WRs locks to be great at the next level. Where as I only see Wills as that at OT. Thomas I think will be good, but his ceiling I think is limited. Wirfs needs some coaching but I think can be good. And Becton is a risk. So really why I see is some question marks there. Where the next 5 or so OTs after those 4 have nearly the same upside as the risky guys. Where as there’s a significant drop off in skill in the WRs between 10-15 (yes that’s how many I think go before 48 at least 10). So a combo of one of the 3 WRs and a OT at 48 seems better to me now than an OT not named Wills and a WR at 48.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

I suggest you re-watch Jeudy because there's no way Reagor or Mims are better prospects. Jeudy IS explosive and he's one of the best route runners CFB has ever seen. Very slippery after the catch. He is definitely going to be a stud in the NFL along with Ruggs and Lamb. I love Lamb but he's the least explosive of the trio and that's not a knock, the Bama boys are just studs. Jeudy was also the #1 in that offense, and actually compares to Cooper quite a bit.

I've watched him play a lot. Watched every Bama game this season actually. 

I just felt that Jeudy wouldn't be as slippery and have a tougher time with tighter coverage. I honestly worried the same thing for Cooper, so I'm 100% aware I'm probably off here. Call it a hunch moreso than actually seeing a flaw in his game. 

I also apologize for my earlier statement as its misleading. I was talking more of the value of Jeudy at #11 vs the value of Mims/Reagor in the early 2nd (assuming a trade up)

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This is how I see it. I see the big 3 WRs locks to be great at the next level. Where as I only see Wills as that at OT. Thomas I think will be good, but his ceiling I think is limited. Wirfs needs some coaching but I think can be good. And Becton is a risk. So really why I see is some question marks there. Where the next 5 or so OTs after those 4 have nearly the same upside as the risky guys. Where as there’s a significant drop off in skill in the WRs between 10-15 (yes that’s how many I think go before 48 at least 10). So a combo of one of the 3 WRs and a OT at 48 seems better to me now than an OT not named Wills and a WR at 48.

Pretty much couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Right from the start, I've been pulling for one of the top OTs at 11.  But over the past couple of weeks I've been watching some of the vids of guys like Josh Jones, Ezra Cleveland, Matthew Peart (people should take a look at him.....)..  Really, give me Jeudy/Lamb and one of those in round 2 and I'll be as happy a Jets fan there is.

OTH, give me Wills, Thomas (or any of the top 4OT)  + Mims or Jefferson and I'll be just as happy.  After Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs, I like Jefferson and Mims a whole lot more than the others.   Of course my dream scenario was a trade down to the 20's and get Higgins and Josh Jones, Cleveland or Peart with that extra pick.

The only 2 things that should worry people about Jeudy tbh are his hands and the fact that A majority of his production came out of the slot(not nearly as bad as Justin Jefferson though but still something to consider when he’s gonna be asked to play outside much more)

12 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

The only 2 things that should worry people about Jeudy tbh are his hands and the fact that A majority of his production came out of the slot(not nearly as bad as Justin Jefferson though but still something to consider when he’s gonna be asked to play outside much more)

The PFF analytics guys knock Jeudy for the slot thing as well. He does seem like he could get successful on the outside though. But it’s a bit of an unknown. 

Edited by SDotNova

13 minutes ago, dcat said:

Right from the start, I've been pulling for one of the top OTs at 11.  But over the past couple of weeks I've been watching some of the vids of guys like Josh Jones, Ezra Cleveland, Matthew Peart (people should take a look at him.....)..  Really, give me Jeudy/Lamb and one of those in round 2 and I'll be as happy a Jets fan there is.

OTH, give me Wills, Thomas (or any of the top 4OT)  + Mims or Jefferson and I'll be just as happy.  After Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs, I like Jefferson and Mims a whole lot more than the others.   Of course my dream scenario was a trade down to the 20's and get Higgins and Josh Jones, Cleveland or Peart with that extra pick.

The issue is Mims and Jefferson will be 1st rounders. They’re not making it to 48. So it’s a tier after them we’d be getting at 48. Like Hamler, Shenault, etc

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

The issue is Mims and Jefferson will be 1st rounders. They’re not making it to 48. So it’s a tier after them we’d be getting at 48. Like Hamler, Shenault, etc

Agree.  In the mock draft I am in, here are the OTs that were still on the board at 48: Wilson, Cleveland, Niang, Bartch 

We wound up with Ruggs and Cleveland.  I'd be very pleased in reality to wind up with that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcat said:

Agree.  In the mock draft I am in, here are the OTs that were still on the board at 48: Wilson, Cleveland, Niang, Bartch 

We wound up with Ruggs and Cleveland.  I'd be very pleased in reality to wind up with that.

And that would be great. For me Ruggs, Cleveland is WAY better than Becton, Hamler

• Like 3

I think as of now my ideal Draft would be

R1: Ruggs or Lamb

R2: Matt Peart OT UConn

R3: Matt Hennessy IOL Temple

R3: Jon Greenard EDGE Florida

R4: Gabriel Davis WR UCF

R5: Eno Benjamin RB ASU

R6: Braden Mann P TAMU

R6: Parnell Motley CB OU

• Like 1