2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

1 hour ago, dcat said:

Agree.  In the mock draft I am in, here are the OTs that were still on the board at 48: Wilson, Cleveland, Niang, Bartch 

We wound up with Ruggs and Cleveland.  I'd be very pleased in reality to wind up with that.

I'd have taken Niang in the 2nd.  Still moves well but much more power and polish than Cleveland.   Less of a projection. 

15 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I'd have taken Niang in the 2nd.  Still moves well but much more power and polish than Cleveland.   Less of a projection. 

I'd imagine we would grab at least 2 WR's and an OT in the 1st three rounds. 

I get the feeling JD likes to double dip. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This is how I see it. I see the big 3 WRs locks to be great at the next level. Where as I only see Wills as that at OT. Thomas I think will be good, but his ceiling I think is limited. Wirfs needs some coaching but I think can be good. And Becton is a risk. So really why I see is some question marks there. Where the next 5 or so OTs after those 4 have nearly the same upside as the risky guys. Where as there’s a significant drop off in skill in the WRs between 10-15 (yes that’s how many I think go before 48 at least 10). So a combo of one of the 3 WRs and a OT at 48 seems better to me now than an OT not named Wills and a WR at 48.

This. I feel like Perriman would be our #1 WR if we don’t draft any of the top 3. Not sure I like that.

Maybe random but I rewatched Combine interviews. Lamb had this star presence with confidence while Ruggs had a genuine and focused personality but Jeudy seemed a lil....off? Like everything is a given? Idk....just watching, I could see Sam’s personality mixing better with Lamb & Ruggs

So I just watched 3 games of snaps for each of the top 3 wrs my order that I'd take them is 1. Ruggs 2. Jeudy 3. Lamb

I could be talked into Jeudy over Ruggs if the coach is looking for pure route running.   

I will say my rating on Lamb took a bit of a hit.  After watching the other 2 his route running was fairly unimpressive.   Her was often really slow and lazy off the snap.   He either got the ball schemed to him with room to run,  or had about 6 seconds to meander his way across the field into a wide open zone on the majority of his catches.   The only times he really beat man coverage was on tight window throws that he did do a good job of coming down with,  but those can't be the only ways you win. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

This time up to the draft is gonna be fun on this site.

Obviously the majority of posters are all in on an OT at 11, while I’m in the group leaning towards the dark side apparently wanting a WR.

Bottom line is we should be getting a great player at 11.  And I think we can all agree that all our TVs will be wrecked if we pick a defensive lineman not named Chase Young.

It sure will be. Some of the debates will be fun. I think the Jets are going OT no matter what. Could also see them trade down. If we were to take a WR, I think it would be Ruggs- right or not I think he's going to end up being the first receiver off the board. The NFL has always been a copycat league, and I think teams are going to favor Ruggs speed/explosiveness over Lamb/Jeudy's polish

37 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It sure will be. Some of the debates will be fun. I think the Jets are going OT no matter what. Could also see them trade down. If we were to take a WR, I think it would be Ruggs- right or not I think he's going to end up being the first receiver off the board. The NFL has always been a copycat league, and I think teams are going to favor Ruggs speed/explosiveness over Lamb/Jeudy's polish

If I had to bet I’d say OT as well. After FA I have switched to that I prefer a WR there though now. Certainly won’t dislike it if we grab one of (Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton). But still think the build this team we would have been better served going WR at 11, OL at 48.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If I had to bet I’d say OT as well. After FA I have switched to that I prefer a WR there though now. Certainly won’t dislike it if we grab one of (Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton). But still think the build this team we would have been better served going WR at 11, OL at 48.

Part of it is because I think that there's no way 4 OL go in the top 10. I think there will only be 2 when it's all said and done. I hope it doesn't come to a point where the Jets have to make a tough decision, but all I know is Austin Jackson is a guy they really like. Ideally Tristan Wirfs falls into our laps and everyone's happy. Whether he plays T or G, the guy is going to be an All Pro. 

Preferences are preferences, that's fair. I'm just vehemently and categorically against two things (1) taking a player because of need; and (2) especially at a position that is not a QB, OL, or EDGE. I think drafting a WR over an OT would indicate that the Jets are drafting because of need, not BPA (I'd argue that all 4 of the OTs are better prospects than the top WRs). 

Edited by jetskid007

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Part of it is because I think that there's no way 4 OL go in the top 10. I think there will only be 2 when it's all said and done. I hope it doesn't come to a point where the Jets have to make a tough decision, but all I know is Austin Jackson is a guy they really like. Ideally Tristan Wirfs falls into our laps and everyone's happy. Whether he plays T or G, the guy is going to be an All Pro. 

Jackson would be a pick I wouldn’t like. I think he’s big time over drafted there. For me that’d be like saying it’s ok for us to draft Shenault at 11 bc we him.

Regardless I’d still rather Jackson over any defensive player though besides Chase Young.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jackson would be a pick I wouldn’t like. I think he’s big time over drafted there. For me that’d be like saying it’s ok for us to draft Shenault at 11 bc we him.

Regardless I’d still rather Jackson over any defensive player though besides Chase Young.

I think the NFL is higher than Jackson than the media is though. Here's a reminder of how draft media reacted when Tyron Smith was drafted 9th overall: 

Critique: Much too high

Why: I agree that Tyron Smith has a great deal of athleticism, but the biggest problem with him is that he played right tackle in college and is built like an NFL tight end.

I think Tyron Smith deserves to be somewhere along the lines of the mid 30s. He is probably the sixth best offensive linemen, and I think he is a mistake as a first-round pick.

Edited by jetskid007

31 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

FWIW: Jets apparently showed a lot of interest in Lynn Bowden over the past few months. He’s going to go higher than people think

Yes he is.  Somebody will take him in rd 4.  He's a project, but will be a menace on the field. Percy Harvin'ish.

11 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think the NFL is higher than Jackson than the media is though. Here's a reminder of how draft media reacted when Tyron Smith was drafted 9th overall: 

They very well might be. But he’s a project. He’s pretty much just a better Edoga if you ask me. Gonna need sometime to show he was worthy of that draft spot. Which for me I don’t like. Bc there will certainly be a WR there that isn’t a project. If we were a more successful franchise and have hit on draft picks year in and year out I’d say why not take the risk. But we are one of (if not the worst) drafting teams in the league. We should be drafting as close to sure things as we can until we build a winner. Especially with valuable picks