2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They very well might be. But he’s a project. He’s pretty much just a better Edoga if you ask me. Gonna need sometime to show he was worthy of that draft spot. Which for me I don’t like. Bc there will certainly be a WR there that isn’t a project. If we were a more successful franchise and have hit on draft picks year in and year out I’d say why not take the risk. But we are one of (if not the worst) drafting teams in the league. We should be drafting as close to sure things as we can until we build a winner. Especially with valuable picks

Again I'm not trying to pin you into a corner, but are you saying he's a project because that's what you read or that's what you see? 

I read, I look, and I hear.

What I read? He's a project. Had one so-so game when the spotlights are on, so all of a sudden he's a bad player. Just to compare... go in the NFL General section and read opinions on Sam Darnold. There largely misinformed. People have wild opinions on who he is simply because of the New England game and what his stats say. Raw and project aren't the same thing.

What I see? A player who is raw when it comes to using his functional strength and hand placement, but otherwise an NFL ready mirror tackle.

What I hear? NFL is high on him because they feel his lack of play strength and technical work is easily correctable and stems from the bone marrow treatment when he donated it to his sister; he'd be a top 10 selection in any other draft.

16 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Funny cause JD asked for Tyron Smith for Jamal Adams and Dallas said no. 

I'm not saying that Austin Jackson is Tyron Smith, but I think the point is that a lot of people get too caught up in what the media and draftniks have to say. Like sure you may see a more disciplined player in Wills on tape than you will see someone else, but is that a result of the player being more disciplined or a better coaching staff demanding a more disciplined player? Will a player maintain their discipline in the NFL when they're making multi-million dollar salary or will they be less dedicated to the craft? Will a player respond to good NFL coaching at a more rapid rate? These are all questions teams ask.

I think the Jets could wait till the 3rd round and still get one particular very good RT prospect, who also has LT potential

I think my ideal first 3 picks would be

1st - Lamb (also would be fine with Jeudy, just preference)

2nd - Julian Okwara (Might not be available here, but i think he has 10+ sack nfl potential)

1st 3rd rounder - Matt Peart ( Highly productive, very athletic, 6-7 320 pound with 36.5 inch arms and 7-1 wingspan.  He’s raw in technique because he only started playing ball late in HS, but he is so long and athletic he still was too much for guys in the AAC to handle, but showed he could still compete at a higher level at the senior bowl.  Just a potential beast thats built for the ZBS that Gase and Douglas are building.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Again I'm not trying to pin you into a corner, but are you saying he's a project because that's what you read or that's what you see? 

I read, I look, and I hear.

What I read? He's a project. Had one so-so game when the spotlights are on, so all of a sudden he's a bad player. Just to compare... go in the NFL General section and read opinions on Sam Darnold. There largely misinformed. People have wild opinions on who he is simply because of the New England game and what his stats say. Raw and project aren't the same thing.

What I see? A player who is raw when it comes to using his functional strength and hand placement, but otherwise an NFL ready mirror tackle.

What I hear? NFL is high on him because they feel his lack of play strength and technical work is easily correctable and stems from the bone marrow treatment when he donated it to his sister; he'd be a top 10 selection in any other draft.

I think he needs to make significant strides strength wise. He has tools (mainly his movement that are great). But as the Iowa game showed... strong edge rushers he will struggle with. And at the nfl level they’re nearly all strong. I don’t really care to take a guy at 11 who needs to make big strides in a very important part of being an OLineman. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think he needs to make significant strides strength wise. He has tools (mainly his movement that are great). But as the Iowa game showed... strong edge rushers he will struggle with. And at the nfl level they’re nearly all strong. I don’t really care to take a guy at 11 who needs to make big strides in a very important part of being an OLineman. 

Yeah it’s the strength that bothers me the most. We need our tackles to win with technique and strength to combat speed and power. 

The new scheme will see a lot of bull rushes which is why I won’t want Edoga out there. Jackson is better but still seems like he’ll get blown off the ball far too much especially early on. Not to mention this organization has never made guys stronger. 

AJ is classified as a high upside developmental OT. That means he wont' win your confidence as a rookie.  He will make a case at LT in year 2.  He has frame to add another 10-15 lbs without losing athleticism so his physicality and athleticism will bend well on year 2. Hence, he has a shot to be long time T for Jets barring injury or mental collapse.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm not saying that Austin Jackson is Tyron Smith, but I think the point is that a lot of people get too caught up in what the media and draftniks have to say. Like sure you may see a more disciplined player in Wills on tape than you will see someone else, but is that a result of the player being more disciplined or a better coaching staff demanding a more disciplined player? Will a player maintain their discipline in the NFL when they're making multi-million dollar salary or will they be less dedicated to the craft? Will a player respond to good NFL coaching at a more rapid rate? These are all questions teams ask.

You like Jones or Jackson better?  

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

You like Jones or Jackson better?  

I like Jones a lot but I would have to say that I think Jackson is the better prospect. I think the top 4 plus these two are worthy top 20 picks in most drafts. 

If there's anyone I think that's being overrated due to athleticism it's Cleveland. He's a top 40 lock but I don't think he should be. Also think Isaiah Wilson is a solid 2nd round pick for whoever takes him. Niang and PTW are scary prospects IMO. Niang is going to continue dealing with injuries- I don't think his lower body is built to carry the weight he has. PTW is your ideal project who I'd definitely consider him at the top of round 3, but round 2 is a little early for my taste. Football body and LT athleticism, but started playing football late and it shows. When you couple it that he comes from Auburn- a program with a very uneven record grooming OL- I have serious concerns with him. Personally I like Matt Peart over both. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, xrade said:

I think Trey Adams will be a steal in round three if he drops that far. As long as he is over his injury bug, I see a franchise LT. 

I think he's going to drop a lot farther than that.   He had an abysmal combine both physically and in interviews.