2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

14 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

You either go safer with Edwards or with upside in Claypool then double dip in round 3 with a guy like Pittman, Tyler Johnson, or Gandy-Golden.

After picking OT at 11, I keep winding up with Aiyuk as the best choice at 48.  This is NOT what I want.  The drop off to the 2nd tier of WRs in rd 2, IMO, is a much deeper drop than with OT.

I really hope for WR, OT in that order.  Or a trade down for an extra rd 2 would suffice.  :)

28 minutes ago, dcat said:

yeah... But that strategy can backfire badly.  I remember when Idzik approached his WR-deep draft with that same philosophy and ended up with horrible picks in rd 4.  I think they were all out of the league within 2 years.  

I didn't mean us as a team waiting I meant that 10+ guys don't go before 48.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcat said:

After picking OT at 11, I keep winding up with Aiyuk as the best choice at 48.  This is NOT what I want.  The drop off to the 2nd tier of WRs in rd 2, IMO, is a much deeper drop than with OT.

I really hope for WR, OT in that order.  Or a trade down for an extra rd 2 would suffice.  :)

WR being deep in the draft doesn't matter because if Darnold can't connect WR, you are done. Gase running the offense is based on Darnold's strength.  If you focus on mere WR like Jeudy or Lamb you don't help Darnold at all.  Chasing superstar or high upside WR often leaves us in disappointment.

OT first.

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

WR being deep in the draft doesn't matter because if Darnold can't connect WR, you are done. Gase running the offense is based on Darnold's strength.  If you focus on mere WR like Jeudy or Lamb you don't help Darnold at all.  Chasing superstar or high upside WR often leaves us in disappointment.

OT first.

Understand what you’re saying but with wide splits on the OL that should help Darnold. That’s what he prefers and is natural to him. And the offense is created to get the ball in playmakers hands and let them do work. If you don’t have the playmakers it doesn’t work. Can’t throw a quick screen to a nobody and expect a Tyreke Hill outcome.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

OT first.

Again, the 2nd tier OTs like Cleveland, Peart and a couple others fit JDs mold for OT well, whereas some of the top 4 are anything but locks for OT.  The difference in talent isn't as dramatic as that with the WRs.  WR 11, OT 48 or a trade down for me.

1 minute ago, dcat said:

Again, the 2nd tier OTs like Cleveland, Peart and a couple others fit JDs mold for OT well, whereas some of the top 4 are anything but locks for OT.  The difference in talent isn't as dramatic as that with the WRs.  WR 11, OT 48 or a trade down for me.

Another thing is who we draft will probably have to be flexible position wise. Meaning I don’t expect us to draft a guy that’s strictly just a OT. So that will be a matter of preference for JD. I have no clue who he will see in that mold.

I hope JD doesn't "settle" for an OT at 11 just because there is only one of the "top 4" left there.  A lot of people treat these 4 OTs as if they are all the same.  But the reality is that not all of them will fit what JD and AG want to bring to protect Darnold and let him and Bell succeed.   I want JD to select players aligned with what he, AG and the coaching staff want the Jets to do...even if that guy isn't "rated" as highly as another that JD might pass on.  And if Cleveland, Peart, Niang fit what JD wants on the OL more than say a Thomas at pick 11, it would make no sense to wait on WR.

A friend made the analogy to Gase and Bell in this situation and it fits:

No one thinks Bell is untalented....but his style of setting up blocks and hesitating behind the LOS is clearly not a fit for what Gase wants to do.  Great player, wrong style.

It's like taking a foreign language student on an international trip....Do you take the A+ Japanese student or the B Spanish student?  It helps if you know that the trip is Mexico.

Edited by dcat

Becton concerns. Most people think he is taken before 11 anyway, but if he is there:

T MEKHI BECTON, LOUISVILLE

Buyer beware of: Poor true pass sets

Playing tackle in the NFL is about one thing and one thing only: pass protection. Pass protection, more so than almost any other job in the NFL, is a learned skill. With any skill, practice and repetitions matter. Louisville changed to a much more run- and play-heavy offense this past season. As such, Becton took only 73 true pass sets (plays with no play action, no RPO, with deep drops and at least four pass-rushers) in all of 2019. That’s the fewest of any tackle that made our top five tackle prospects. For comparison, the Falcons' Jake Matthews led all NFL tackles with 390 last year, and the 32nd most at the tackle position was 250. What I’m trying to say is, if Becton starts all season long next year, he’ll get tested around four times more than he did at Louisville last season. 

It’s not only that he doesn’t have the practice, but also that he’s been bad on them. Becton has allowed eight pressures on those 73 sets for a 64.7 pass-blocking grade. Only Washington’s Trey Adams had a worse grade among the tackles that made our top-10. That doesn’t scream first-round type prospect to us.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-buyer-beware-10-2020-nfl-draft-prospects

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcat said:

Becton concerns. Most people think he is taken before 11 anyway, but if he is there:

This is why I have been saying that I think he will fall. It's just a guess, but with the current state of things and in-person interviews severely limited, I can see teams going for more "surer" OTs first

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

OT first.

“Chasing superstar or high upside WR often leaves US in disappointment”.

We haven’t drafted a WR in round 1 in almost 2 decades. Santana Moss. Wasn’t disappointed with him at all. Was more disappointed that we gave him away because Chad Pennington couldn’t throw deep balls.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dcat said:

When I watch Becton, I don't see a dominating prospect. People are just enamored by his size and athleticism. 

If it came down to it, give me Jeudy or Lamb over him. They are day 1 starters and relatively safe prospects to become studs in the NFL. We need good football players period, our 1st rounder should not be a project but a day 1 starter who can help right away. 

Jedrick Wills is the OT who I see consistently setting up and playing at a high level, Wills is a day 1 starter and will be effective early. But we won't get Wills at #11. 

I could see some OT needy teams taking them early before us and there are scenarios where we could land a Jeudy or Lamb, which instantly provides us our #1 WR which is more of a help than a project on the OL. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

When I watch Becton, I don't see a dominating prospect. People are just enamored by his size and athleticism. 

If it came down to it, give me Jeudy or Lamb over him. They are day 1 starters and relatively safe prospects to become studs in the NFL. We need good football players period, our 1st rounder should not be a project but a day 1 starter who can help right away. 

Jedrick Wills is the OT who I see consistently setting up and playing at a high level, Wills is a day 1 starter and will be effective early. But we won't get Wills at #11. 

I could see some OT needy teams taking them early before us and there are scenarios where we could land a Jeudy or Lamb, which instantly provides us our #1 WR which is more of a help than a project on the OL. 

This is why I'm fluid with our first round pick - we need ballers, so if Joe Douglas is more comfortable drafting a WR at 11 than he is Becton for example, that's fine by me.

I think that correlates with what we have seen so far in Free Agency - he has a price-point and he won't budge from that. If he has a late first round grade on Becton for example again, then I don't think he's going to reach and take him at 11.

We'll see in 3 weeks

I think I've come to the conclusion the assuming wirfs and wills are both gone by 11 I want Jones.  I think he is about as pure a LT there is in this draft maybe outside of wills.

I want to follow that up with Aiyuk.  I think he fits the mold we are looking for at WR and his YAC ability will be a nice addition.

I'm pretty settled on those two prospects in that order.  I still have the devil on my shoulder telling me to draft Ruggs but you can't deny that with protection Sam has proven he can shine even without weapons at WR.