2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Either way they’ll be in a good spot with a good FA period and adding one of Tua or Herbert more than likely... among others. Still have to win the games on the field and it’s hard to tell right now where everyone stacks up.

Am I thr only one who wasn't all that impressed with what they did in FA?

7 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Am I thr only one who wasn't all that impressed with what they did in FA?

I think they did good. They have arguably the best CB group in the NFL now. Added a couple other pieces like Ogbah and Van Noy along with resigning Lawson. Got Howard and Flowers on offense along with a few others. And are in a great spot in the draft to get a franchise QB and tons of other stuff with a lot of valuable draft picks.

Buffalo is the favorite in our division now with pretty much keeping what they have and adding Diggs. But bc if that they can’t upgrade much in the draft. So what you see now is what you’re getting with them. And who knows what NE will look like and be. The roster says they’re the worst IMO, but with cheating and coaching who knows how they fair 😉

2 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Team that win the offseason rarely win the regular season. A la Cleveland browns.

That’s why I didn’t say it puts them ahead of us. When on paper after the draft they might be. But we really can’t argue that Buffalo is ahead of us.

Still have to play the games. Bc what seems like it should work doesn’t always (ATL since they should’ve won the SB for example with nearly the same roster). But at the end of the day we weren’t a good team last year and had an easy schedule and still didn’t perform great. So we can’t be homers and say we are the best team now.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s why I didn’t say it puts them ahead of us. When on paper after the draft they might be. But we really can’t argue that Buffalo is ahead of us.

Still have to play the games. Bc what seems like it should work doesn’t always (ATL since they should’ve won the SB for example with nearly the same roster). But at the end of the day we weren’t a good team last year and had an easy schedule and still didn’t perform great. So we can’t be homers and say we are the best team now.

I don't think Miami will be better than us this year either, but they will be a stronger young team. We had to give up two second round picks to get Darnold, but losing those picks really hurt. Like what you said about we have no idea how all this will pan out is so true. The other 31 teams will not be sitting on their hands come draft time.

The thing is Darnold is only good in the eyes of Jets fans. Most neutral fans are not giving us the edge bc of Sam. Which is understandable. This is the year he needs to play well. No more bottom of the league numbers, prove them wrong.

But I can very easily see why people have the Jets in the cellar of the AFCE. You can easily easily make an argument Miami is the better team moving forward.

• Like 2

So I've been thinking about the fact that JD did just come from the Eagles.  I wonder if that makes us more likely to trade up.  For example if we take an OT at 11, and are nervous that one of the WR's we want will be gone by 48.... I think there is a real chance we view having an extra 3rd as ammo to get back into the later 1st to get a WR.  I think SF at 31 would be looking to trade back as they have barely any picks.  

How would you guys feel if we moved up to tail end of the 1st for a guy like Jefferson, Mims, or Reagor, if we gave up our later 3rd?

This is how I see it. And obviously the comparisons aren’t spot on and who will be there is a guess... but here’s my comparisons for who we might get in Round 1 and who is someone similar that might be there at 48. Obviously the talent on the later guy isn’t as high. So please don’t respond saying well he’s not as good as blah blah blah. That’s obvious. As well as there’s no direct comparison either. But I’m going with who’s the closest.

Jerry Jeudy - Brandon Aiyuk

CeeDee Lamb - Donovan People-Jones

Henry Ruggs III - KJ Hamler

Jedrick Wills - Ezra Cleveland

Tristan Wirfs - Lucas Niang

Andrew Thomas - also Lucas Niang

Mekhi Becton - Isaiah Wilson

If we go OT at 11, there’s not really a WR I would want us to trade up for. Maybe if a Justin Jefferson falls. After those 4 guys, feel like the rest are the same and it’s just a matter of what you want.

The reverse is true for me as well. If we go WR, the only guy I would want us to trade up for is Josh Jones if he somehow falls to the late 1st. 

This just seems like the rare draft where we should just stay put and grab quality players. I was pro trading back and/or trading up in the second. But as we get closer to this thing, I’m like ehh. Last year though. In hindsight most of us were right that we should have traded back even if at a discount.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

Just replaying the 2019 draft. We will never know what trades were available for the 3rd pick. But I, like many Jets fans, wanted to trade down even if it was at a discount.

The one team we know wanted to trade up were the Steelers. Hypothetical speaking, of course, would you have traded the 3rd overall pick for the 20th, 52nd, 66th, and a 2020 2nd? The Steelers would have grabbed Devin White instead of Devin Bush. On paper, Steelers would have robbed the Jets.

But Just looking back at the players I liked, instead of Q, if I were picking, we would have had Dillard, Arcega-Whiteside and Winovich. Plus a 2nd this year. Q may very well be an all pro, in which case, I’d look dumb. And maybe those guys become just backups. But sometimes volume works out better when there’s not a player at an impact position available.

Edited by SDotNova

17 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Just replaying the 2019 draft. We will never know what trades were available for the 3rd pick. But I, like many Jets fans, wanted to trade down even if it was at a discount.

The one team we know wanted to trade up were the Steelers. Hypothetical speaking, of course, would you have traded the 3rd overall pick for the 20th, 52nd, 66th, and a 2020 2nd? The Steelers would have grabbed Devin White instead of Devin Bush. On paper, Steelers would have robbed the Jets.

But Just looking back at the players I liked, instead of Q, if I were picking, we would have had Dillard, Arcega-Whiteside and Winovich. Plus a 2nd this year. Q may very well be an all pro, in which case, I’d look dumb. And maybe those guys become just backups. But sometimes volume works out better when there’s not a player at an impact position available.

We chose Leo in a similar situation and look where that got us. And some were still defending him all the way till he got traded.