2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

5 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We disregarded fit and what made sense and passed on a potentially Elite EDGE. But yeah take the best guy.

Allen was a fit & the best guy. We picked the best guy according to a guy who couldn't scout.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

1. Jeudy

2. Mims

3. Mims

4. Ruggs

5. Hamler(some think he’s strictly a slot guy)

6. Lamb

I just started watching Hamler . I think he can do more as well. I don't know what round to expect him to be around. 

29 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

QWill was #1 or #2 on almost every board. 

Key word, almost.  BPA works when you have a GM who actually knows who the best player is. GM boards are different across the league. Allen fits as well,  it's just that Macc THOUGHT Q was a better player. 

Most people thought Leo was going to be a top-2 pick in his draft. Obviously the GMs ahead of us didn't agree and went differently.  

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Key word, almost.  BPA works when you have a GM who actually knows who the best player is. GM boards are different across the league. Allen fits as well,  it's just that Macc THOUGHT Q was a better player. 

Most people thought Leo was going to be a top-2 pick in his draft. Obviously the GMs ahead of us didn't agree and went differently.  

They were smart and considered need. Not just BPA. Something we haven’t done in God knows how long. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

They were smart and considered need. Not just BPA. Something we haven’t done in God knows how long. 

My philosophy has always taken more into account than simply ‘BPA’. I wouldn’t necessarily attach need to my opinion on who I’d draft but I’d certainly take it into consideration. 

Example:

Tier 1: Quarterback

Tier 2: Left Tackle-Edge Rusher

Tier 3: Cornerback-Right Tackle

Tier 4: Wide Reciever-Linebacker-Interior Lineman

Tier 5: Defensive Ends- Safety

Tier 6: Nose Tackle-Tight Ends-Running backs

So when I’d assemble my draft board I wouldn’t just say who’s ‘pound for pound’ the best player available. Similar to the fight game; the best bantamweight in the world doesn’t hold the same regard as the best heavyweight even if they are better ‘pound for pound’. 

2019 Draft: 

After Murray and Bosa went #1 & #2 and the board was set for us I’d of looked at my criteria and put more value on Josh Allen than I would Quinnen Williams. If I thought Josh Allen would become the 10th best edge player five years from now that would hold more value in my eyes than Q-Will if he was say the 4th best Defensive End. Value must be added for premium positions. 

Going into this years draft if we are left with a choice of say; Ruggs, Jeudy, Becton, Chaisson and Wills. 

Id attach premium grades on the left tackle and edge positions. However it’s clear the consensus is that Jeudy is the BPA (according to most anyway) however if the grade between he and Becton/Wills is close then you have to attach that premium position grade to the overall comparison. 

Best evidence I can give is this: 

- Arguably the best receiver in the game right now (personally I have OBJ ahead of him 😉) has just been traded for a 2nd round pick and a running back with a horrible contract who was benched this year)

- A top 10 left tackle was traded for two 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and multiple players. 

Edited by xenajets
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, xenajets said:

- Arguably the best receiver in the game right now (personally I have OBJ ahead of him 😉) has just been traded for a 2nd round pick and a running back with a horrible contract who was benched this year)

- A top 10 left tackle was traded for two 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and multiple players. 

But both were the stupidity of a single man.

• Like 1

The question is not just BPA. But its also about who fits your team best.

Michael Pittman is probably a better prospect than Lynn Bowden but Bowden is a better fit for our team.

If you want to draft for need then also draft for fit. When you hit on both you get a great player not only overall but for your team.

20 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The question is not just BPA. But its also about who fits your team best.

Michael Pittman is probably a better prospect than Lynn Bowden but Bowden is a better fit for our team.

If you want to draft for need then also draft for fit. When you hit on both you get a great player not only overall but for your team.

Exactly. It’s not just a case of who’s the better player. It’s premium position, team fit, character fit etc. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

My philosophy has always taken more into account than simply ‘BPA’. I wouldn’t necessarily attach need to my opinion on who I’d draft but I’d certainly take it into consideration. 

Example:

So when I’d assemble my draft board I wouldn’t just say who’s ‘pound for pound’ the best player available. Similar to the fight game; the best bantamweight in the world doesn’t hold the same regard as the best heavyweight even if they are better ‘pound for pound’. 

2019 Draft: 

After Murray and Bosa went #1 & #2 and the board was set for us I’d of looked at my criteria and put more value on Josh Allen than I would Quinnen Williams. If I thought Josh Allen would become the 10th best edge player five years from now that would hold more value in my eyes than Q-Will if he was say the 4th best Defensive End. Value must be added for premium positions. 

Going into this years draft if we are left with a choice of say; Ruggs, Jeudy, Becton, Chaisson and Wills. 

Id attach premium grades on the left tackle and edge positions. However it’s clear the consensus is that Jeudy is the BPA (according to most anyway) however if the grade between he and Becton/Wills is close then you have to attach that premium position grade to the overall comparison. 

Best post I read on here in a long time.  Well said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Example:

2019 Draft: 

Totally get what you’re saying... and we will see what JD does. Can’t help but think of the past and several GMs that their Philosophy to work didn’t. As you stated Q last year was just an awful pick. I don’t Alvarez that he was graded high. It wasn’t as you say an important need for us or a cornerstone for the franchise. But you can argue even on successful picks that it was awful. Jamal Adams is a S/LB hybrid. And we chose him high bc he was BPA. He has been good. But not as you show a premium spot. Why is this important? Bc we needed a QB at the time bad with Mahomes and Watson still on the board. Instead we draft BPA and turn trade away a bunch of quality picks to move up and get our QB the following year... that sets this franchise back big time.

As I’ve stated... OL is a pick I’m happy with. But who that we draft at 11 is for sure starting for us? That’s a question I think that should be brought up. Long term it doesn’t matter and I get that. But are we starting a very raw Becton over Fant and Edoga? I don’t know. Where as if you draft a guy like Ruggs. You know he’s a starting guy for you and will produce. So that’s my thing. There’s several of these OLineman that are projects. And for me those guys aren’t worth that 11th pick. Also keep in mind if Fant does work out in this system long term as well as Edoga... then we are drafting a OG at 11. Which then you didn’t draft a premium position as you mentioned

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Totally get what you’re saying... and we will see what JD does. Can’t help but think of the past and several GMs that their Philosophy to work didn’t. As you stated Q last year was just an awful pick. I don’t Alvarez that he was graded high. It wasn’t as you say an important need for us or a cornerstone for the franchise. But you can argue even on successful picks that it was awful. Jamal Adams is a S/LB hybrid. And we chose him high bc he was BPA. He has been good. But not as you show a premium spot. Why is this important? Bc we needed a QB at the time bad with Mahomes and Watson still on the board. Instead we draft BPA and turn trade away a bunch of quality picks to move up and get our QB the following year... that sets this franchise back big time.

As I’ve stated... OL is a pick I’m happy with. But who that we draft at 11 is for sure starting for us? That’s a question I think that should be brought up. Long term it doesn’t matter and I get that. But are we starting a very raw Becton over Fant and Edoga? I don’t know. Where as if you draft a guy like Ruggs. You know he’s a starting guy for you and will produce. So that’s my thing. There’s several of these OLineman that are projects. And for me those guys aren’t worth that 11th pick. Also keep in mind if Fant does work out in this system long term as well as Edoga... then we are drafting a OG at 11. Which then you didn’t draft a premium position as you mentioned

Yeah it’s easy to lean on what we’ve seen from each different GM over the last ten years or so but let’s give the benefit of the doubt to JD. 

I won’t comment on Jamal simply because as a pure fan of his (I’m a big LSU fan) I wanted us to draft him even if from a positional standpoint it contradicts my formula. However like I also stated character and personality also plays a big part in my draft process and we were CRYING out for a difference maker and leader on this defense. 

For me it’s quite simple; 

In an ideal world you are able to draft a guy in a premium position which is also a need and the character/personality of what you are looking for. 

This year we are possibly able to do that with both Wirfs and Wills. Providing they can handle LT otherwise you may throw Andrew Thomas in there also. 

Last year we were so unlucky to miss out on Bosa. That would of been the ‘ideal’ pick in every which way. Unfortunately we just got killed by it being a poor draft.
We certainly should of gone for Allen, but if in three years time he is generating 5 sacks a year instead of 10+ and Q-Will is a run stuffing big man who can get 6-10 sacks a year then we are clearly better off. Time will tell 

QWill was the pick to take. He is young and pushes the pocket and can sack the QB. He can play any where on the line too. He was hurt most the season and never really had a chance. I think you guys will be surprised at what he can do. Remember we are also adding CJ Mosley He is the leader of the D and add Adams to the mix we can have a very good D. I'm not a big fan of edge rushers because you can create that with almost any one. Look how the Pats just grab guys of the scrap pile and they will put up 6-10 sacks a year. We need WR, LT and CB first. I'm also not sold on Young going 2. I think he will fall more than people realize. I see QB being the first 2 picks. I think Burrow is almost a lock for 1 unless Cinn trades. I guess Miami was talking about packing a lot of their picks including serval 1st round picks for pick 1. That means Miami wants in on the top 2 to get Tua or Burrow. Young my go as low as 4 to the Giants over even down to 6 to the Panthers. He might even fall faster if there is a run at LT because The Giants, Panthers, Redskins, Lions all have QB that they need to protect. I have never seen so many good LT in on draft. You could have 5 Pro Bowl tackles in this draft. You might even have 3 LT gone after the 6 pick. Crazy things happen in the draft and you ALWAYS have surprises in the first 5 picks.