2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

35 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

QWill was the pick to take. He is young and pushes the pocket and can sack the QB. He can play any where on the line too. He was hurt most the season and never really had a chance. I think you guys will be surprised at what he can do. Remember we are also adding CJ Mosley He is the leader of the D and add Adams to the mix we can have a very good D. I'm not a big fan of edge rushers because you can create that with almost any one. Look how the Pats just grab guys of the scrap pile and they will put up 6-10 sacks a year. We need WR, LT and CB first. I'm also not sold on Young going 2. I think he will fall more than people realize. I see QB being the first 2 picks. I think Burrow is almost a lock for 1 unless Cinn trades. I guess Miami was talking about packing a lot of their picks including serval 1st round picks for pick 1. That means Miami wants in on the top 2 to get Tua or Burrow. Young my go as low as 4 to the Giants over even down to 6 to the Panthers. He might even fall faster if there is a run at LT because The Giants, Panthers, Redskins, Lions all have QB that they need to protect. I have never seen so many good LT in on draft. You could have 5 Pro Bowl tackles in this draft. You might even have 3 LT gone after the 6 pick. Crazy things happen in the draft and you ALWAYS have surprises in the first 5 picks. 

Well you must love it being a Jets fan then as we haven’t had one in over a decade. 

I completely disagree with your stance on the importance of edge rushers who can generate 12+ sacks a year. Not even worth debating really as it’s such a joke how this franchise has abandoned the position since drafting Gholston.  

9 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Well you must love it being a Jets fan then as we haven’t had one in over a decade. 

I completely disagree with your stance on the importance of edge rushers who can generate 12+ sacks a year. Not even worth debating really as it’s such a joke how this franchise has abandoned the position since drafting Gholston.  

Speaking of abandoning positions

Does any other team do this?  Serious question

Like we have legit not attempted to find a pass rusher in 20 years

We did not try to find an offensive lineman for 10

To a lesser extent, we have not tried to find a WR in 5

Is this normal ?!

Sorry to open up old wounds but in every other mock I read, the Dolphins and Chargers are giving up 3rd and 4th round picks to move up to 3 for Tua.

Didn’t we give up 3 2nds for Darnold to make the same jump? Please tell me theses mocks are underestimating what it will take to move up to 3. Please!!!!

3 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Sorry to open up old wounds but in every other mock I read, the Dolphins and Chargers are giving up 3rd and 4th round picks to move up to 3 for Tua.

Didn’t we give up 3 2nds for Darnold to make the same jump? Please tell me theses mocks are underestimating what it will take to move up to 3. Please!!!!

When it involves a QB, it always costs more than it normally would

So yes, I think that they are

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

Is this normal ?!

How about RB?  Last impactful RB drafted was Powell in 2011. Almost 10 years ago when 1,000 yd rushers seem to grow on trees. Every other team seems to find guys. 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

How about RB?  Last impactful RB drafted was Powell in 2011. Almost 10 years ago when 1,000 yd rushers seem to grow on trees. Every other team seems to find guys. 

Yes but the jets have historically traded or signed their best rbs, which isnt a bad thing considering their shortened prime years. The jets have had a very good history In the rushing game. Even when they were bad. 

Edited by KodiakThunder

2 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Nah. I’d be shocked if that’s all it took. If anything this year is going to be costlier because you only have two guys in that top tier. PFF mocked a trade up to 3 and they have Miami giving up 5, 18, and 39. That seems more realistic. The alternative is the Chargers who would likely have to throw in a 2021 1st. 

Miami knows the LAC will jump them. So someone is trading up. 

Edited by SDotNova

45 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I hate how we've handled the rb position for the longest time.   It's all older few agents for more money for a position with a short shelf life.   We're idiot's. 

To be fair other than DE’s a few CB’s and 2 safeties we’ve not done much else. Thank god for Sam!! 
Jesus when you think of it; Coples, Pryor, Lee, Milliner etc what were we thinking.......

2 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Is this normal ?!

It’s really strange; 

If you asked any company to name it’s greatest and most important needs you would assume (if they were well ran) that year in and year out they would try to maximise value in these positions and constantly improve and upgrade. 

We’ve needed two proper edge rushers for as long as I can remember. We threw big money (at the time anyway) at Calvin Pace who was a solid edge setter and provided a decent pass rush. We drafted Gholston in 2008 with our first round pick. Other than that have we even tried?! 

I suppose you could argue we moved our 1st round pick Coples to OLB but that was after having an abundance of talent on the d-line. 

I swear it’s after that playoff loss in 2010 to Pittsburgh. If you remember we brought it all the way back and if we could of got that stop at the end of the game we could of given our offense a chance at winning it. Instead we got ran all over and the dream was dead. 

Ever since that night all we’ve done is concentrate on stopping the damn run. Haven’t gave two ****s about the pass since then!! 

Edited by xenajets
  • Like 1

I’ve been meaning to look at this data after hearing PFF make the argument that WR is more valuable than Edge. It’s hard to define value. So I chose to look at it as are you willing to give a player a contract extension if they live up to expectations.

Not sure what I was hoping to find but thought I’d share my findings. In the 2013-2015 drafts, there have been 39 first round picks that have made the probowl at least once. So I wanted to see if teams of those players gave them an extension. Ultimately, if you draft a pro bowler in the first, you’d think a team would resign them. 

Findings:

Edge: All 5 edge players did not receive a contract extension from their original team. This includes players like Khalil Mack, Jedeveon Clowney, and Dee Ford.

OL: All 9 OL players received a contract extension from their original team. I kept Scherff as a yes but he’s still TBD.

WR: The second highest success rate 3 out of 5 received extensions. 

LB: Not enough players. Mosley didn’t. Shazier had an unfortunate injury. And Barr was extended.

CB: only 2 of the 6 players received extensions (Trufant and Rhodes) both have since been cut. 

DT: The two Jets didn’t. And then there was Aaron Donald.

Don’t know if this sample size is big enough. But there’s definitely a benefit to going offense. The edge position surprised me.

OL also have the lowest bust rate per a 25 year analyst by Bleacher Report. Might be a good idea to draft OL every 3 or so years. They seem to have the highest success.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

I’ve been meaning to look at this data after hearing PFF make the argument that WR is more valuable than Edge. It’s hard to define value. So I chose to look at it as are you willing to give a player a contract extension if they live up to expectations.

Not sure what I was hoping to find but thought I’d share my findings. In the 2013-2015 drafts, there have been 39 first round picks that have made the probowl at least once. So I wanted to see if teams of those players gave them an extension. Ultimately, if you draft a pro bowler in the first, you’d think a team would resign them. 

Findings:

Edge: All 5 edge players did not receive a contract extension from their original team. This includes players like Khalil Mack, Jedeveon Clowney, and Dee Ford.

OL: All 9 OL players received a contract extension from their original team. I kept Scherff as a yes but he’s still TBD.

WR: The second highest success rate 3 out of 5 received extensions. 

LB: Not enough players. Mosley didn’t. Shazier had an unfortunate injury. And Barr was extended.

CB: only 2 of the 6 players received extensions (Trufant and Rhodes) both have since been cut. 

DT: The two Jets didn’t. And then there was Aaron Donald.

Don’t know if this sample size is big enough. But there’s definitely a benefit to going offense. The edge position surprised me.

OL also have the lowest bust rate per a 25 year analyst by Bleacher Report. Might be a good idea to draft OL every 3 or so years. They seem to have the highest success.

Good write up. It is very odd seeing these teams letting good edges go these last few years. As I’ve said... the league likes offense. Create its rules to score more. Let’s face it the NFL is as big as it is bc if fantasy football. Which is stats driven. So the league is catering to that to keep its numbers up. Therefore making defense less and less worth investing in bc it’s creating a league where they want huge scores. And slinging the ball around to weapons is mainly the way these points are being scored. So some say “this isn’t madden” but in fact the league is catering to teams with that approach.