2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

46 minutes ago, DowNY said:

“Chasing superstar or high upside WR often leaves US in disappointment”.

We haven’t drafted a WR in round 1 in almost 2 decades. Santana Moss. Wasn’t disappointed with him at all. Was more disappointed that we gave him away because Chad Pennington couldn’t throw deep balls.

You are correct.  It is the exact opposite. Let's compare Jets 1st round WR success/failure with round 2:
Round 1 WRs:
1980: Lam Jones - bust 0
1985: Al Toon - star 1
1991: (Supp 1) Rob Moore - good 0.5
1996: Keyshawn Johnson - star 1
2001: Santana Moss - good 0.5
Rd 1: 60% success rate

Round 2 WRs:
1980: Ralph Clayton - bust 0
1990: Reggie Rembert - bust 0
1994: Ryan Yarborough - bust 0
1996: Alex Van Dyke - bust 0
2012: Stephen Hill - bust 0
2015: Devin Smith - bust 0
Rd 2: 0% success rate  

Give me a WR at 11 and get one that JD believes actually fits the "JD/AG Scheme" OTs in rd 2. Cleveland, Paert, Niang etc.

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

McShay latest mock has us passing on both Becton (agree) and Thomas (disagree) for Jeudy in his latest Mock

He’s tight with JD isn’t he?

He is - which could go both ways

Maybe doesn't want to show his friend's cards

• Like 2

At the end of the day I’ll be happy with an OLineman or WR at 11 (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton) outside of those 7, I’ll be pissed. That being said... I’ll be less pissed if we drafted a guy like Jackson over a CB or an Edge. 

32 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

McShay latest mock has us passing on both Becton (agree) and Thomas (disagree) for Jeudy in his latest Mock

He’s tight with JD isn’t he?

He is. McShay is tight with JD but Daniel Jeremiah is as well and he thinks Jets take Lamb.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

McShay and Jeremiah are satisfied with Jets' new mashed up OL?   Interesting.   We will see.

Not sure if satisfied is their feeling. Maybe it’s just not the end of the world if we don’t draft one at 11...

Just now, DowNY said:

Not sure if satisfied is their feeling. Maybe it’s just not the end of the world if we don’t draft one at 11...

Yeah.. hard to know.   McGovern is only that is guaranteed to start for at least first 2 seasons.  If everything goes well, same OL continues to next season. If not, we continue whining about OL next offseason.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

McShay and Jeremiah are satisfied with Jets' new mashed up OL?   Interesting.   We will see.

They might have moved WR higher up as a need for us now after FA. We technically downgraded at WR (when we were already in the mix for a WR before the downgrade). And we upgraded the OL (to the level we want? Probably not). So it could very easily switch peoples boats up for us. It did mine. 

I’m on the Ruggs bandwagon. Been jumping around a bit. But I agree with those that say no other player changes the dynamic of this team more than Ruggs. You put Ruggs on the field and all of a sudden our weapons look solid. You have to account for Ruggs at all levels. But you can’t just double him and ignore Perriman because he’ll burn you deep. Ok. So you cover both of them and now Crowder will slice and dice you all day long. 

Teams will have to worry about big plays all day which will open up the run game. The constant pressure will be fun to watch. And it’s now not just all Darnold to hit the big plays because Ruggs can catch a slant or swing pass and take it to the house.

Players like Ruggs don’t come along often. The second tier OL will be plenty to provide Darnold the time to make it happen.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I’m on the Ruggs bandwagon. Been jumping around a bit. But I agree with those that say no other player changes the dynamic of this team more than Ruggs. You put Ruggs on the field and all of a sudden our weapons look solid. You have to account for Ruggs at all levels. But you can’t just double him and ignore Perriman because he’ll burn you deep. Ok. So you cover both of them and now Crowder will slice and dice you all day long. 

Teams will have to worry about big plays all day which will open up the run game. And it’s now not just all Darnold to hit the big plays because Ruggs can catch a slant or swing pass and take it to the house.

Players like Ruggs don’t come along often. The second tier OL will be plenty to provide Darnold the time to make it happen.

He’s grown on me as well. I’ve always liked him just thought Jeudy and Lamb were more sure things. But I feel Ruggs is a legit game changer. And we need that bad.

13 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Jeudy might not run a sub 4.3, but he can still stretch the field.

It’s about separation. Jeudy has speed but he does it with crisp route running. Ruggs does it with speed but is also a good route runner. With Lamb you get a bit everything. He might be the best if the group with the ball in his hands making guys miss and breaking tackles. I’m happy with any of the 3.

• Like 1