2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

6 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think there is almost zero % chance we trade up. There is no guy that is worth trading up unless Young falls out of the top 7 or 8 and I don't see that happening at all. He might fall out of the top 3 but no way he falls out of the top 5. 

I can absolutely see it. If 2 of the top 3 tackles are off the board at pick 9 and the player JD likes most is there, he'll absolutely consider making the jump. He did something similar last year to draft Dillard, who the Texans were going to select had the Eagles not jumped them.

You know what? I was fully against using our first pick on anything but O-line, but I'm coming around. We've likely got four new starters already.

I heard CeeDee Lamb is a pretty good run blocking WR too. I'm on board with drafting him now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheChad said:

You know what? I was fully against using our first pick on anything but O-line, but I'm coming around. We've likely got four new starters already.

I heard CeeDee Lamb is a pretty good run blocking WR too. I'm on board with drafting him now.

I'm not against it. Getting a potential #1 WR could help the offense a bunch. Especially if we say sign back Anderson. Add a WR in round 1, now our offense becomes more exciting and potentially more dangerous with a variety of explosive weapons. Especially with a healthy Herndon and Griffin at TE.

11 minutes ago, TheChad said:

Important to keep in mind that we still have arguably the worst tackle tandem in the league - As of right now. 

Fant/Edoga are both ascending players with the potential to be quality starters but it's hard to bank on potential. Given the uncertainty, I hope/expect JD to finish the OL overhaul with our first pick. 

5 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Important to keep in mind that we still have arguably the worst tackle tandem in the league - As of right now. 

Fant/Edoga are both ascending players with the potential to be quality starters but it's hard to bank on potential. Given the uncertainty, I hope/expect JD to finish the OL overhaul with our first pick. 

Yep, for sure. It's still got a great situation, but I'm hoping it's serviceable with another minor move or two. What I do think we've done though, is make it so that we don't have to reach for an OL prospect if the guys we really like are gone by our pick. I think we've made it so that we don't have to lock into one position and just take the best available at that position, no matter what. So that's a plus.

The Marshall-Decker year was a lot of fun. Maybe we're due for another top WR.

12 minutes ago, TheChad said:

Yep, for sure. It's still got a great situation, but I'm hoping it's serviceable with another minor move or two. What I do think we've done though, is make it so that we don't have to reach for an OL prospect if the guys we really like are gone by our pick. I think we've made it so that we don't have to lock into one position and just take the best available at that position, no matter what. So that's a plus.

The Marshall-Decker year was a lot of fun. Maybe we're due for another top WR.

I'm really warming up to the idea of trading for Trent and then using our pick on either CeDee or Jeudy. It's probably not the smartest formula for building a team but might be the quickest way to revamp this offense. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheChad said:

While true, you must keep this in mind:

• T George Fant - glorified 1 year deal, never a full-time starter
  • G Alex Lewis - glorified 1 year deal, injury-prone
  • G Greg Van Roten - still somewhat unproven; he's solid, but 30 years old... waiting on terms
  • T Chuma Edoga - far from a sure thing yet

Just because guys are coming in to start doesn't necessarily mean they're the answer. 

The Jets receiver group any better either, but the decision really comes down to position importance and class depth. 

I think Becton, Thomas, Wills and Wirfs are better prospects than Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs. I also think the OT group is far less deep than the WR group, which widely regarded as the deepest class ever. Hence: OL > WR in Round 1.

That being said, I think the Jets will be lower on Thomas than the media and we are, which really makes you question: would Jets really go Austin Jackson over the top 3 WRs if they can't trade down? I think they would, but personally I would prefer Ruggs > Lamb > Jeudy in that scenario. 

One of the top ot will be there at pick 11.

I'm not sold Jeudy and Lamb are. 

The more I watch Jeudy,  the more I'm impressed.  Hes so fluid and runs routes at a elite level. Hes a day 1 star.

Lamb is gonna come in day 1 and beast as well.

The jets paid Fant to start at LT. Douglas and the scouting department saw something in him to sign him.as a starter for this season. 

But yes I can see them taking a OT still.  Our OL is slightly improved, we made a huge improvement at center, but besides that who knows. 

The way Douglas spoke, he wants to have multiple weapons like how the chiefs are built. Gase remembers his offense with the Broncos when manning had tons of stars around him.

But yes at the very least we can land a good WR in round 2. But if you have a chance to provide Darnold with a difference maker at WR, they may go for it.

I think Anderson is gonna come back, so we could make a real improvement at wr.

Edoga has the talent to be good, but he needs to improve. But the chances that we draft a OT  who stars right away is slim,  most struggle st first. It took Brick a bit to become all pro.

Just keep signing solid players to build the depth of the team so we arent as desperate in the draft, which honestly is where we will look to make our biggest improvements with hopeful landing franchise quality players.  We need to hit on picks, especially that #11 pick. 

I still think there’s a 99% chance we go OL at 11. Couple reasons why...

1. I don’t see all 4 OTs going in the top 10 to where we might not like the value there.

2. OT is still a need as well as a OG spot. Fant got paid starter money, but that’s doesn’t make him a lock to start. Edoga has done nothing to warrant a starting spot guaranteed. And GVR will start, but the other G spot is up for grabs with Winters and Lewis not guaranteed to start either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

While true, you must keep this in mind:

• T George Fant - glorified 1 year deal, never a full-time starter
  • G Alex Lewis - glorified 1 year deal, injury-prone
  • G Greg Van Roten - still somewhat unproven; he's solid, but 30 years old... waiting on terms
  • T Chuma Edoga - far from a sure thing yet

Just because guys are coming in to start doesn't necessarily mean they're the answer. 

The Jets receiver group any better either, but the decision really comes down to position importance and class depth. 

I think Becton, Thomas, Wills and Wirfs are better prospects than Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs. I also think the OT group is far less deep than the WR group, which widely regarded as the deepest class ever. Hence: OL > WR in Round 1.

That being said, I think the Jets will be lower on Thomas than the media and we are, which really makes you question: would Jets really go Austin Jackson over the top 3 WRs if they can't trade down? I think they would, but personally I would prefer Ruggs > Lamb > Jeudy in that scenario. 

I agree with your assessment of the the importance and depth of The OT and WR class. The other thing that keeps rolling around my mind is the fact that we passed on Mahomes and Watson because we had Hackenberg and Petty. I don’t want to pass on a potential 10 year rock at OT because we have Egoda and Fant.
Also I think Thomas will be the best of the bunch. He had an outstanding year playing a hard schedule that included 6 ranked teams. These guys are all elite athletes. What Thomas lacks in speed is made up by his 36” arms. That being said, I’d be happy with any of the top 4 OTs at 11. If they were all gone and we can’t trade down, I’d probably take a top WR (Lamb, Jeudy, J.Jefferson or Higgins would probably be the ones I’d consider) and go OL in the 2nd. Just like Egoda and Fant wouldn’t stop me from takin an OT in the 1st, Lewis, Winters, McGovern and VanRoten wouldn’t stop: me from taking an IOL in the 2nd. 

• Like 2

I think the hope is 

Fant-Lewis-McGovern-Van Roten-Rookie

If they’re outplayed then so be it but I doubt at this point. Douglas emphasized picking up those 3 and re-signing Lewis. 

Poole and Jenkins got 1 year deals, Lewis got 3. You can see the importance he put on certain guys even though they’re glorified 1 year deals with options. 

I think Douglas will fill holes in free agency and draft to replace early and draft to develop in later rounds.