Sign in to follow this  
49erurtaza

49ers release Mike Person

31 looks like a good spot for a guard, to be honest. Unless we go the Staley replacement route and have them start at guard at 13. 

That being said, Person was not the guy that I projected to get cut first on this team, to be perfectly honest. I think you could have justified taking him to training camp at the very least. We really don't know what Brunskill is as a guard yet, so I'm just a teeny bit surprised. 

That being said, nobody is going to be really shocked here, I think. He was very serviceable, but he's the guy I would have preferred to be a back up guard as opposed to a starter. 

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Dang, well I stand corrected on some of my posts from yesterday. I was thinking this morning that the only way we cut Person is if we needed the $2.5 mil cap space for trade or signing.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Dang, well I stand corrected on some of my posts from yesterday. I was thinking this morning that the only way we cut Person is if we needed the $2.5 mil cap space for trade or signing.

In fairness, you're not necessarily wrong yet! That could be what it's for. 

So Shanny is very serious about improving the interior OL? 

Love it! Definitely not opposed to taking a T/G in the first round. Have been wanting that this entire time. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

31 looks like a good spot for a guard, to be honest. Unless we go the Staley replacement route and have them start at guard at 13. 

That being said, Person was not the guy that I projected to get cut first on this team, to be perfectly honest. I think you could have justified taking him to training camp at the very least. We really don't know what Brunskill is as a guard yet, so I'm just a teeny bit surprised. 

That being said, nobody is going to be really shocked here, I think. He was very serviceable, but he's the guy I would have preferred to be a back up guard as opposed to a starter. 

This. I mean at worst he's a serviceable back-up with starting experience in the scheme. A guy who can play up and down the line. Very weird...unless they view Brunskill in that role, at a fraction of the cost.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Shanny is very serious about improving the interior OL? 

Love it! Definitely not opposed to taking a T/G in the first round. Have been wanting that this entire time. 

I could see us drafting a OT sticking them at guard until Staley retires. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

#13 - Wirfs or Thomas would be pretty nice.

#31 - Ruiz or Cushenberry could be good options.

I'm struggling to see this happen as the 49ers have never prioritized drafting guards at all, let alone taking one in the 1st. 

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

#13 - Wirfs or Thomas would be pretty nice.

#31 - Ruiz or Cushenberry could be good options.

I'm struggling to see this happen as the 49ers have never prioritized drafting guards at all, let alone taking one in the 1st. 

That's why I think if we do draft oline till be OT but plug in OG until needed at OT

21 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

That's why I think if we do draft oline till be OT but plug in OG until needed at OT

I think that's possible, but it will have to be at 13, and even then, the top 4 tackles could all be gone by 13. 

Person battled through a nagging neck injury for who knows how long. Much respect for him.

4 hours ago, Swift21 said:

Person battled through a nagging neck injury for who knows how long. Much respect for him.

and on that note, maybe we released him now (out of respect, in a perverse way) so that he could have better chance to sign on with his team of choice (if any are interested of course). If we cut him after the draft or in August, he would have less appeal to teams just on knowledge of scheme alone.