Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
49erurtaza

49ers release Mike Person

Recommended Posts

31 looks like a good spot for a guard, to be honest. Unless we go the Staley replacement route and have them start at guard at 13. 

That being said, Person was not the guy that I projected to get cut first on this team, to be perfectly honest. I think you could have justified taking him to training camp at the very least. We really don't know what Brunskill is as a guard yet, so I'm just a teeny bit surprised. 

That being said, nobody is going to be really shocked here, I think. He was very serviceable, but he's the guy I would have preferred to be a back up guard as opposed to a starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

 

Dang, well I stand corrected on some of my posts from yesterday. I was thinking this morning that the only way we cut Person is if we needed the $2.5 mil cap space for trade or signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Dang, well I stand corrected on some of my posts from yesterday. I was thinking this morning that the only way we cut Person is if we needed the $2.5 mil cap space for trade or signing.

In fairness, you're not necessarily wrong yet! That could be what it's for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Shanny is very serious about improving the interior OL? 

Love it! Definitely not opposed to taking a T/G in the first round. Have been wanting that this entire time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forge said:

31 looks like a good spot for a guard, to be honest. Unless we go the Staley replacement route and have them start at guard at 13. 

That being said, Person was not the guy that I projected to get cut first on this team, to be perfectly honest. I think you could have justified taking him to training camp at the very least. We really don't know what Brunskill is as a guard yet, so I'm just a teeny bit surprised. 

That being said, nobody is going to be really shocked here, I think. He was very serviceable, but he's the guy I would have preferred to be a back up guard as opposed to a starter. 

This. I mean at worst he's a serviceable back-up with starting experience in the scheme. A guy who can play up and down the line. Very weird...unless they view Brunskill in that role, at a fraction of the cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Shanny is very serious about improving the interior OL? 

Love it! Definitely not opposed to taking a T/G in the first round. Have been wanting that this entire time. 

I could see us drafting a OT sticking them at guard until Staley retires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Forge said:

31 looks like a good spot for a guard, to be honest. Unless we go the Staley replacement route and have them start at guard at 13. 

That being said, Person was not the guy that I projected to get cut first on this team, to be perfectly honest. I think you could have justified taking him to training camp at the very least. We really don't know what Brunskill is as a guard yet, so I'm just a teeny bit surprised. 

That being said, nobody is going to be really shocked here, I think. He was very serviceable, but he's the guy I would have preferred to be a back up guard as opposed to a starter. 

#13 - Wirfs or Thomas would be pretty nice.

#31 - Ruiz or Cushenberry could be good options.

I'm struggling to see this happen as the 49ers have never prioritized drafting guards at all, let alone taking one in the 1st. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NinerNation21 said:

#13 - Wirfs or Thomas would be pretty nice.

#31 - Ruiz or Cushenberry could be good options.

I'm struggling to see this happen as the 49ers have never prioritized drafting guards at all, let alone taking one in the 1st. 

That's why I think if we do draft oline till be OT but plug in OG until needed at OT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

That's why I think if we do draft oline till be OT but plug in OG until needed at OT

I think that's possible, but it will have to be at 13, and even then, the top 4 tackles could all be gone by 13. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Person battled through a nagging neck injury for who knows how long. Much respect for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Swift21 said:

Person battled through a nagging neck injury for who knows how long. Much respect for him.

and on that note, maybe we released him now (out of respect, in a perverse way) so that he could have better chance to sign on with his team of choice (if any are interested of course). If we cut him after the draft or in August, he would have less appeal to teams just on knowledge of scheme alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×