49ers release Mike Person RG

49erurtaza

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Is he good?

He's okay, honestly. Mostly competent? The kind that really straddles the line between top tier back up and marginally adequate starter. You'd prefer that he be your top back up, but you won't be miserable if he's got to start for you. 

He struggles against big strong guys, so that's not ideal for the interior, but he's a ZBS guard, so that's not really a shocker. 

• Like 1

The niners signed Tom Compton at guard, so this seems like strictly a financial decision to me. Person is certainly the superior guard to Compton and has the last two years starting experience, so my guess is that Compton comes at near vet minimum and since we envision Brunskill as (hopefully) the starter moving forward, we would rather pay Compton less. 

**edit**

so much for that, we are somehow paying Compton more. That's just dumb. I would have rather continued to pay Person. He's the better player. 

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's okay, honestly. Mostly competent? The kind that really straddles the line between top tier back up and marginally adequate starter. You'd prefer that he be your top back up, but you won't be miserable if he's got to start for you. 

He struggles against big strong guys, so that's not ideal for the interior, but he's a ZBS guard, so that's not really a shocker. 

Sounds like Austin Blythe for us. Quality backup C/G and adequate starter with streaks of good play.