When do the 49ers Beat Hard?

48 1/2ers

Do you Beat Hard?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Beat Hard?

• Yes - Beathard should get a shot sooner rather than later
    • No - I beat soft

It's inevitable that the rookie at some point will line up with the 1st team offense.

Is that next week is it later on down the road?

Will it take an injury to Hoyer? 

When CJ Beathard does start whenever it is, what are your expectations for him? 

We'll have a better idea after this Thursday's game against the Rams but I figured we this will be a interesting topic to follow as the season progresses and our QB play remains shaky. 

I know a lot of people are starting to expect him early, but right now, the earliest I could still see him getting a shot is after the bye week (barring injury). May even be later than that. I do think he'll get a start or two at some point, regardless of Hoyer's health, but if he comes in prior to the bye, I think it's injury related.

My expectations for him if he plays? That he'll be bad. I think that's almost a guarantee. Him starting will be less about the overall play, and more about whether or not he flashes anything at all. You can be bad and still flash a little something. That being said, I don't think he'll flash nearly enough for us to prevent us from going the Cousins or early QB in next years draft route.

We have nothing to gain but draft position by playing Hoyer, honestly. If anything, he gives Cousins even more negotiating power. 

What to expect from a rookie Beat Hard? Not much. If he's bad, at least it shows Kyle is at least open to try things. We've had several stubborn coaching staff in recent years, who would never change their minds or admit they're the problem. Right now, Hoyer is far from a solution. Of course, we still should start him over the next few weeks, and Kyle has to tweak the offense, adapt it, try to make it work for Hoyer. He has to show us, the fans, and his bosses, that he is not the same square peg/round hole type of coach we've been stuck with recently. But if it doesn't work with Hoyer, he has to go with Beathard. CJ seems to have heart and guts. He doesn't seem like the type who will ever give up. Hoyer looks like he can get annoyed and rattled, and be taken off his game. I just don't see much upside in Hoyer. 

28 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

We have nothing to gain but draft position by playing Hoyer, honestly. If anything, he gives Cousins even more negotiating power. 

What to expect from a rookie Beat Hard? Not much. If he's bad, at least it shows Kyle is at least open to try things. We've had several stubborn coaching staff in recent years, who would never change their minds or admit they're the problem. Right now, Hoyer is far from a solution. Of course, we still should start him over the next few weeks, and Kyle has to tweak the offense, adapt it, try to make it work for Hoyer. He has to show us, the fans, and his bosses, that he is not the same square peg/round hole type of coach we've been stuck with recently. But if it doesn't work with Hoyer, he has to go with Beathard. CJ seems to have heart and guts. He doesn't seem like the type who will ever give up. Hoyer looks like he can get annoyed and rattled, and be taken off his game. I just don't see much upside in Hoyer. 

That's just youth. Let the world beat him down for a bit, that'll change. Ever seen the before sunrise / sunset / midnight trilogy? It's kind of like that lol.

I know our expectations for Beathard are low, but think about it from Shanny/Lynch's perspective. They invested a lot into this guy - one of their top QBs in the entire draft. He may only get this one season to really show what type of pro he's going to be with the looming free agency/draft. The main variable in this entire scenario is Hoyer, his play will determine everything and right now if it continues like it is I dont see how Shanny (with his ego that we heard all offseason) would want to stay with Hoyer as his QB deep into the season.  

2 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I know our expectations for Beathard are low, but think about it from Shanny/Lynch's perspective. They invested a lot into this guy - one of their top QBs in the entire draft. He may only get this one season to really show what type of pro he's going to be with the looming free agency/draft. The main variable in this entire scenario is Hoyer, his play will determine everything and right now if it continues like it is I dont see how Shanny (with his ego that we heard all offseason) would want to stay with Hoyer as his QB deep into the season.  

I think that he was the only quarterback in the entire draft...but that hardly makes it a huge investment. IT's a third round pick. He really struggled the last two preseason games, and to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with him in game 1. The problem is, we don't really now how Beat Hard is progressing during practices and the like. Is he looking better? Growing as the season goes? Understanding the playbook, schemes, etc more and more? ...if Shanny doens't think he's ready, than I Think that he's going to be hard pressed to get on to the field no matter what Hoyer looks like in the early and middle season. If he's picking it all up quickly, seems to be acclimating and looking good, we can see him sooner. . Unfortunately, that's not really info that we have at our disposal.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that he was the only quarterback in the entire draft...but that hardly makes it a huge investment. IT's a third round pick. He really struggled the last two preseason games, and to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with him in game 1. The problem is, we don't really now how Beat Hard is progressing during practices and the like. Is he looking better? Growing as the season goes? Understanding the playbook, schemes, etc more and more? ...if Shanny doens't think he's ready, than I Think that he's going to be hard pressed to get on to the field no matter what Hoyer looks like in the early and middle season. If he's picking it all up quickly, seems to be acclimating and looking good, we can see him sooner. . Unfortunately, that's not really info that we have at our disposal.

You think we'd only keep 2 qb's on the roster if he was that unimpressive understanding things and in practices? 

I thought he played decent in the preseason, nothing to write home about but he'd be playing behind much improved Oline, with weapons he didnt have in those games. 

3 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

You think we'd only keep 2 qb's on the roster if he was that unimpressive understanding things and in practices? 

I thought he played decent in the preseason, nothing to write home about but he'd be playing behind much improved Oline, with weapons he didnt have in those games. 

I think the alternative was Matt Barkley...who I believe is still sitting out there. Most teams don't like keeping three, and if Hoyer goes down, Barkley can be easily brought back in. Not to mention, what you're talking about isn't the same as naming him a starter, to be quite honest. Different factors could be going into each of those decisions.

Sure...he's also facing better competition...he's not facing back ups and fringe roster guys like he did in games 3 and 4 where he really struggled.

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the alternative was Matt Barkley...who I believe is still sitting out there. Most teams don't like keeping three, and if Hoyer goes down, Barkley can be easily brought back in. Not to mention, what you're talking about isn't the same as naming him a starter, to be quite honest. Different factors could be going into each of those decisions.

Sure...he's also facing better competition...he's not facing back ups and fringe roster guys like he did in games 3 and 4 where he really struggled.

To put it another way - the options for the season were to keep 2 quarterbacks (Hoyer & Beathard) or 3 (Hoyer, Beathard, & Barkley). Those were the two options, and they depended entirely on how Barkley played, not Beathard or Hoyer. If Barkley played well, he'd be the #2 QB. Without him playing well enough to win the #2 job, there's no reason to keep him because he was always going to be available on the free agent list. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

To put it another way - the options for the season were to keep 2 quarterbacks (Hoyer & Beathard) or 3 (Hoyer, Beathard, & Barkley). Those were the two options, and they depended entirely on how Barkley played, not Beathard or Hoyer. If Barkley played well, he'd be the #2 QB. Without him playing well enough to win the #2 job, there's no reason to keep him because he was always going to be available on the free agent list. 

Pretty much. And then you add in who is going off the roster if you keep Barkley. Maybe it would have been Theus (since he was already cut), and we didn't like the chances that we could keep him on the practice squad if we did that (which was correct). Maybe it was Bolden, or Bourne. So you have to add in the external forces at work in that initial decision on whether not to keep 2 or 3 quarterbacks on the roster.

Part of me wants to see Beat Hard play.  If only for something new to see.  I guess the other part of me is asking questions like, "Okay, so if he does much worse than Hoyer, then what?  Put Hoyer back on the field?  Bring Barkley back in?"  

There really is no easy decision here when you're not a playoff contender anyway.  

I think I'd like to see what we've got in him. I definitely wasn't a big proponent of the pick, but maybe he'll surprise us all. I don't know when we'll see him for sure, but Hoyer is definitely not looking like the guy so far. I really hope we done screw ourselves out of Rosen some how next year.

Archived