When do the 49ers Beat Hard?

48 1/2ers

Do you Beat Hard?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Beat Hard?

• Yes - Beathard should get a shot sooner rather than later
    • No - I beat soft

14 hours ago, Ataal said:

Part of me wants to see Beat Hard play.  If only for something new to see.  I guess the other part of me is asking questions like, "Okay, so if he does much worse than Hoyer, then what?  Put Hoyer back on the field?  Bring Barkley back in?"  

There really is no easy decision here when you're not a playoff contender anyway.  

I think with Beathard, once he's starting you let him ride out the rest of the season. Even if it starts poorly, you have to give him that time. So that's a fair argument against starting him this early. 

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think with Beathard, once he's starting you let him ride out the rest of the season. Even if it starts poorly, you have to give him that time. So that's a fair argument against starting him this early. 

Agreed with this. I think @Forge is probably correct that the best time (to me only time) to do it would be after the Bye week. Let him digest the offensive gameplans (10 weeks of them) until then, and then get a more accurate reading of where he's at over the final six games. Start him too early, and you'll see a raw rookie 3rd round pick in action, and it could screw with confidence that gives an incomplete view of who he is. It might still be incomplete over the final six games, but at least he'll have had more time to understand how NFL gameplans work. And six games is still plenty enough time to gauge what you might have in him. Plus with the Jags, Bears, Texans, and Rams at the end of the schedule, there won't be any real excuses if he can't churn out any wins.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Just out of curiosity, does the fact that Brian Hoyer's middle name is Axel buy him at least a week longer than he would have gotten had his middle name been anything else? Because I'll be honest...I kind of feel like it should

It really does. At least three weeks, for me. But we need to start calling him Axel Hoyer from now on. Brian is not good enough to start. 

On 9/21/2017 at 3:12 PM, rudyZ said:

It really does. At least three weeks, for me. But we need to start calling him Axel Hoyer from now on. Brian is not good enough to start. 

I would think it would make it easier for people to chant "ax the hoyer" 

I think last nights game just bought hoyer another 6-8 weeks before shanny even thinks about it. He made some nice throws. There were a couple really bad ones, but he kept us in the game. Seems like Garcon and Hoyer are starting to build trust. I have no problem rolling with it for now

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in on the "Beat Hard O Meter", I do think that there's a slim chance we see him before the bye week, but I think the earliest we will see him is the rematch against AZ on 11/05. I don't think that we would start him on the road, which would rule out Indy, Washington, and Philly. While its possible that would mean we get him in there against Dallas, I think that it makes more sense to get him in there against Arizona, when he has 3 straight home games + the bye week. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Checking in on the "Beat Hard O Meter", I do think that there's a slim chance we see him before the bye week, but I think the earliest we will see him is the rematch against AZ on 11/05. I don't think that we would start him on the road, which would rule out Indy, Washington, and Philly. While its possible that would mean we get him in there against Dallas, I think that it makes more sense to get him in there against Arizona, when he has 3 straight home games + the bye week. 

I would still personally do it after the bye week (if we do it at all). The thing is - Shanahan seems extremely competitive, and given how he's not held anything back in his press conferences when it comes to Hoyer, I would not be shocked to see it happen sooner than later. He does not seem like a patient type and may try and create a spark. 

The only scenario I would hate is to end up starting Beathard, and then switching back to Hoyer. Once Beathard is in, he better play out the season (short of injury).

It seems like shanahan is getting fed up with hoyer.

There was that shot when hoyer came off the field and he was walking along the sidelines. Kyle was walking parallel with him with somewhat of a scowl of frustration and didn't so much as look at hoyer one time, but you could tell he felt hoyers presence and was extremely agitated. 

Then there was the play when Kyle caught hoyers pass on the sidelines and then spiked the ball in frustration. 

I don't know when hoyer will get the ax, but I would imagine beathard will get a chance late in a game when we are getting blown out and then it'll be up to him to make plays to get a start. 

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I don't know when hoyer will get the ax, but I would imagine beathard will get a chance late in a game when we are getting blown out and then it'll be up to him to make plays to get a start. 

That's the thing, we havent been in this position all season so far. We've been so competitive with such awful QB play. 

“I don’t look at it like it’s Brian vs. C.J. right now,” Shanahan said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. “I look at it as ‘What’s best for our team right now?’ And if I did feel that [a change at quarterback] was the best thing for our team right now, I wouldn’t hesitate at all. That would be an easy decision if I thought that was the best thing for our team right now.

“I don’t feel it is the best thing for our team right now, so that’s something I haven’t started to consider.”

• 2 weeks later...

Verdict is in and Week 7 of the 2017 season will mark the day that the 49ers went with CJ Beathard. It was overall a competitive performance coming in for Hoyer in the 2nd quarter.

What are your expectations for the final 10 games of the season assuming Beathard is healthy to be the starter through the end? 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Verdict is in and Week 7 of the 2017 season will mark the day that the 49ers went with CJ Beathard. It was overall a competitive performance coming in for Hoyer in the 2nd quarter.

What are your expectations for the final 10 games of the season assuming Beathard is healthy to be the starter through the end? 

Not much. Don't think he'll be very good, but in truth, i wasn't a fan of his coming out, so he's starting further back for me than most in order to convince me. I don't think he does enough to make us bypass a quarterback in the draft or FA.  

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Not much. Don't think he'll be very good, but in truth, i wasn't a fan of his coming out, so he's starting further back for me than most in order to convince me. I don't think he does enough to make us bypass a quarterback in the draft or FA.  

Thats fair, I dont think theres any chance we bypass a QB in the draft or FA either. It would be nice to see Beathard play at a level that makes him a trade option if we do look elsewhere for our QB next season. I think teams like Cincy and Tampa who maybe could have traded their QB's (McCarron, Glennon) for a solid number if they wanted. If we pull something off similar to what the pats did for Brissett thats a big win if we find our future QB elsewhere.   

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Thats fair, I dont think theres any chance we bypass a QB in the draft or FA either. It would be nice to see Beathard play at a level that makes him a trade option if we do look elsewhere for our QB next season. I think teams like Cincy and Tampa who maybe could have traded their QB's (McCarron, Glennon) for a solid number if they wanted. If we pull something off similar to what the pats did for Brissett thats a big win if we find our future QB elsewhere.   

Really, I think I'd be higher on him if I saw him throw fewer ducks. I just feel like he's going to throw a lot of interceptions if he doesn't lock down his mechanics and get a good amount of zip on the ball. He has some pocket awareness struggles, but the hope would be that improves with experience. If nothing else, I look forward to seeing him throughout the rest of the year. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Really, I think I'd be higher on him if I saw him throw fewer ducks. I just feel like he's going to throw a lot of interceptions if he doesn't lock down his mechanics and get a good amount of zip on the ball. He has some pocket awareness struggles, but the hope would be that improves with experience. If nothing else, I look forward to seeing him throughout the rest of the year. 

Meh, the ducks dont bother me. As long as the ball gets to where its supposed to be, dont really care what it looks like. I think ppl(not saying you) are getting too caught up in the fact that he doesnt throw a pretty ball, questioning his arm strength. Beathard has a NFL arm. I saw him in college, zip balls into tight windows on a rope plenty. He generates enough torque to make small window throws routinely. Its when his mechanics go to **** and his footwork gets sloppy that he tends to struggles with velocity. One of the things I like about Beathard is he understands ball speed and touch. You don't have to riffle every throw into tight quarters if your anticipation and ball placement is on point. But i think sometimes he gete too caught up on touch and placement instead of just letting it rip and the ball comes out like he has a dead arm or something. He really needs to devote this off-season to his mechanics and footwork. 

Archived