DTs and INT OL

mwalker

Thought it'd be interesting to just discuss these two positions - what we think need - who we think fits, etc.

I'll start:

DT
I think there's only three real plugger/power types:

D.Brown, Auburn (gone top 5)

D.Hamilton, Ohio State
- Shooting up boards and I've seen him anywhere from 2nd to 5th round.
I think he's a solid player, but not special. Great size.

L.Fotu, Utah
- All the size and power, kind of like a very poor man's H.Ngata.
I think he's a valid option in RD3.

Lower rounders who seem to fit the profile:

B.Jones, Ole MIss
- Good size and power, had a poor (Senior?) bowl and combine.

C.Davis, Nebraska
- More of a back up type.

More explosive, but smaller players:

R.Blacklock
- Rated very high with special talents. More DE size, but apparently plays
well inside. A real possibility in RD 2 if he makes it that far.

R.Davis
- Incredible athlete and size, but really more of a DE in our scheme, I think.

INT OL

A lot more players here that could fit what we need. Here are just some that catch my eye.
I also think Rooney wants that Steelers power running back (as he's said quite openly).

C/G - three players stand out to me as flexible interior guys.

C.Ruiz
- Possibly a perfect fit for what we need. Can play G or C. Good size and power.

L.Cushenberry 
- Another pretty good fit as he can play C or G. Maybe a bit less of a power player than Ruiz or Biadasz.

T.Biadasz
- Power player with both C and G experience. Very Steeler-like. I like him after Ruiz. Great in RD 3 if he lasts that long.

I know M.Hennessy is rated high, but I see him as a better fit for a zone blocking team.

R.Hunt
- Big time power player. Has also played some OT.

B.Bredeson
- He seems very Steelers-like to me. Nothing spectacular, but decent all around.
I like him in RD 4. Don't think he'll last until 6.

J.Simpson
- Have seen him ranked as the second best G and also then as a late rounder because of his
issue with inside speed and pass blocking. Not sure where he falls or how I feel about him.

I know there are others, but these are the ones I feel are most relevant.

Later rounds: K.Dotson, T.Phillips (massive)

I'm sure I've missed some players. A wild card, is someone like L.Niang, who is a OT that I think could also
play G. I really like him, and if the Steelers see Feiler as the interior answer, maybe it's RT that they feel
is more needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

B. Jones had a very good Senior Bowl. He cannot be moved off the LOS.  He's 6'1" 331lbs. He's not gonna a "good" Combine. 

I read he was on the ground too often at the Senior Bowl (I think).
But he also was propped as one of the best interior rushers, so not sure
exactly what I make of him. I take it you like him?

1 minute ago, mwalker said:

I read he was on the ground too often at the Senior Bowl (I think).
But he also was propped as one of the best interior rushers, so not sure
exactly what I make of him. I take it you like him?

Strange evaluation. He's not a pass rusher at all. He is your standard "hold the LOS occupy 2" NT. He would be an outstanding pick up. 

9 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Strange evaluation. He's not a pass rusher at all. He is your standard "hold the LOS occupy 2" NT. He would be an outstanding pick up. 

Always a chance I read it wrong. The more I read about him, the better he sounds.

13 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Always a chance I read it wrong. The more I read about him, the better he sounds.

Watch some video on him (not highlight videos).  He just doesn't get moved. In the LSU game he was doubled by Cush and Lewis throughout the game.  Both are top prospects this year.  He held the LOS.  Not a finished product by any means.  He gets turned at times but he has the physical attributes. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

2 months ago, Davon Hamilton was a 5th rounder and was mocked to us a lot.  Now, he might not be there at 2.49.  He has been shooting up.  I like him and all, but I am not down taking him there.  Maybe at 102 depending on the board.

If we go pure NT, I would circle Jones.  Did not see combine #s, but he is an olds-school 2 gap NG.  I didn't see anything about pass rushing, but I could be wrong.  Again, the pure NG is a dying breed, that he better be a 6-7 round pick.

I LOVE Davis and would run to pick him at 49.  He IS interior capable in nickel, and would be heir apparent for Heyward/Tuitt.  Dream pick for me.

As for the IOL, I am of the minority that has Biadsz as the most Steeler-esque player.  I like his positiion flexibility, his power game, and his size.  Let him be Finney for a year, then slide over when Pounce is gone.  He is bigger and more like what we like in OL.  Cush is a zone guy, and Ruiz is more of a flash in the pan dude to me.  I am with you on Hennessey as well.

Later, Hunt would be fun as a Feiler flex dude.  Can play everywhere, but probably best as a guard.

I would love Simpson in Black and Gold, TBH.  (Disclaimer: I personally coached this kid in HS, so I am 100% biased).  I cannot say enough good things about him.  There is no way that I would NOT take him in the 4th if we did not take Biadsz if I was the GM.

• Like 2

Just now, mwalker said:

The Wormley trade is pretty interesting. He's def a DE more than interior, but I like him.
Makes me think Buggs and or Alualu are moving inside.

With a true NG being used less than 30%, it is a lower tier priority.  All can rush from the inside in subpackages.

I'd be worried about Alualu's future, TBH.  He becomes a bit extra and at a higher salary with Tuitt's return, Buggs and Wormley.  Wormley has some inside potential, but not really.

I'd look at Fotu or Jones in the draft to push Mt. McCullers off the roster.

• Like 1

I think the vet FA we need to be looking at is Snacks Harrison. Some others have mentioned him before. I bet he'd sign a cheap one to have a chance at a SB. If not, I like B. Jones. He's a load, but I read that he is surprisingly quick for a big dude. 

IOL is my dream first pick. I love Ruiz, Cush, and Biadasz. I think they'd all be fine picks and would probably be penciled into the starting lineup at LG immediately. Cush is risky, but how often do you see someone that big, that long, and that athletic that can play Center? I'm also not seeing the flash in the pan from Ruiz @kurgan. He was a solid starter for most of 3 years for Michigan, including almost two full years at Center. I don't know enough about Biadasz, but from opinions of very smart draftniks on here, he sounds like a very good player. He just needs to regain his pre-injury form. 

Either way, I'm excited. I think the only true "need" we have is at NT, which is a pretty non-essential position. We could honestly take BPA with every pick and grab a NT in the 6th or 7th. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think the vet FA we need to be looking at is Snacks Harrison. Some others have mentioned him before. I bet he'd sign a cheap one to have a chance at a SB. If not, I like B. Jones. He's a load, but I read that he is surprisingly quick for a big dude. 

IOL is my dream first pick. I love Ruiz, Cush, and Biadasz. I think they'd all be fine picks and would probably be penciled into the starting lineup at LG immediately. Cush is risky, but how often do you see someone that big, that long, and that athletic that can play Center? I'm also not seeing the flash in the pan from Ruiz @kurgan. He was a solid starter for most of 3 years for Michigan, including almost two full years at Center. I don't know enough about Biadasz, but from opinions of very smart draftniks on here, he sounds like a very good player. He just needs to regain his pre-injury form. 

Either way, I'm excited. I think the only true "need" we have is at NT, which is a pretty non-essential position. We could honestly take BPA with every pick and grab a NT in the 6th or 7th. 

Agree with all except the last sentence.  It's a popular belief that ILB isn't a need.  I think it's a huge need.  The "Starter", while not all that good, is gone.  VW is not gonna play his normal 36% snaps AND Baron's 69%.  Not only mathematically impossible, he's not the type of ILB they want out there most of the time.  Unless the plan is to move Edmunds, I believe a S/Hybrid ILB will be chosen and early imo.  If Edmunds does move, Safety is the #1 need.  I think Chinn/Dugger early and Muse in the later Rds for Depth.  NT is #1b but can be had in the later Rds.