DTs and INT OL

mwalker

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

Agree with all except the last sentence.  It's a popular belief that ILB isn't a need.  I think it's a huge need.  The "Starter", while not all that good, is gone.  VW is not gonna play his normal 36% snaps AND Baron's 69%.  Not only mathematically impossible, he's not the type of ILB they want out there most of the time.  Unless the plan is to move Edmunds, I believe a S/Hybrid ILB will be chosen and early imo.  If Edmunds does move, Safety is the #1 need.  I think Chinn/Dugger early and Muse in the later Rds for Depth.  NT is #1b but can be had in the later Rds.

I think S is the #1 need anyway.  0% depth.  Forget about moving guys, the next safety up is Dangerfield.  This is terrifying.

ILB is a need in the same way because of depth.  If Bush breaks a helmet strap, UG3 is up, and he played 6 games.  I am with you on that, just not the way you propose to fix it.

@MOSteelers56, flash in the pan was not the right turn of phrase.  Late riser is more accurate.  Was not in the discussion with Cush and Biadasz until the All-Star circut.  I know the Steelers love Big 10 teams, but these past 3 years for Michigan have not been the best.  Again, not a national name until the all-star games.  Not a pick I would be mad about, more of a surprise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been looking a little more into the pure guard types. I really like John Simpson from Clemson. I think he’s one of the better pass protectors we will find at OG. He can also move either direction pretty well. I’d love to see our LG pulling more. I think if we truly want to run the ball better we need a mobile LG. Simpson helps really well too. He’d make Pouncey’s job easier, I’d bet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why does a NT have to be short and stumpy? I feel a guy like Michael Brockers could play NT. I think Tombert might actually prefer a taller DT/NT guy. Remember they put in a waiver claim for Jordan Phillips. Also, I am genuinely curious why a 3-4 NT is short traditionally. 

Short and stumpy = Natural Leverage. Easier to occupy two blockers. NT’s job is to win leverage, occupy multiple blockers and push the line back. The taller you are the harder it is for you to get low/easier you are stood up and blocked out of the play by one guy. Not saying all NTs need to be short but it makes sense some of the better ones are/were.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Short and stumpy = Natural Leverage. Easier to occupy two blockers. NT’s job is to win leverage, occupy multiple blockers and push the line back. The taller you are the harder it is for you to get low/easier you are stood up and blocked out of the play by one guy. Not saying all NTs need to be short but it makes sense some of the better ones are/were.

That makes sense. It’s been so long since we’ve had a two gapping NT that I’d sort of forgotten.

• Like 2

im all for a solid prospect at nt to push McCullers for his roster spot but once again I think Snacks Harrison could be had for close to vet min. For as little as we use our base defense he could foot the bill this year and maybe next.

Also on a side note I am curious how much Clay Matthews would cost as a rotational edge as well. I wouldnt mind a proven commodity to push Skip and Ola if we can get him on the cheap as well. This 2 year window could use a player or 2 like that for some proven production if it doesnt cost us much.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’ve been looking a little more into the pure guard types. I really like John Simpson from Clemson. I think he’s one of the better pass protectors we will find at OG. He can also move either direction pretty well. I’d love to see our LG pulling more. I think if we truly want to run the ball better we need a mobile LG. Simpson helps really well too. He’d make Pouncey’s job easier, I’d bet.

i like Simpson a bit too, but the big knock on him is he has a lot of trouble with speed rushers.
Very good run blocker, heavy, heavy hands, but issues with speed. Not saying that makes him a bad choice,
but it is the apparent knock. 

The three C/Gs are all interesting-  Cushenberry, Ruiz, Biadasz.

R.Hunt is a power player at OG (was an OT a bit too). D.Lewis is also kind of interesting.

I also like B.Bredeson as a potential sleeper. He's very Steelers like (then again, so is Simpson).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

im all for a solid prospect at nt to push McCullers for his roster spot but once again I think Snacks Harrison could be had for close to vet min. For as little as we use our base defense he could foot the bill this year and maybe next.

Also on a side note I am curious how much Clay Matthews would cost as a rotational edge as well. I wouldnt mind a proven commodity to push Skip and Ola if we can get him on the cheap as well. This 2 year window could use a player or 2 like that for some proven production if it doesnt cost us much.

I would love both of these signings to be honest. Both would be “win now” mentality signings. Matthews had 8 sacks in 13 games playing a limited role last year and Snacks can definitely still defend the run in a part time role. Matthews would be a hell of an upgrade over Chickillo. TJ Watt for how great he his does get gassed sometimes late in games, probably because he plays every play like his hair is on fire. 

This is all contingent that they would be willing to take cheap short term deals to come help us win a ring.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I have a slightly different view. I want a guy who can knock big defenders off of their feet. I want a McNasty type of guy. I too like Tyler Biadasz.  I would prefer not seeing Ben passing 50 times a game because we cannot run consistently.  A good rushing attack will do wonders for the offense.  I see the Steelers morphing into what the Broncos did when they won with Elway and later Peyton.  Remember the Broncos did not win the SB when Peyton put up huge numbers.  They won when the defense was good and they had a solid rushing attack. I am tired of the finesse blockers. I don't want a straight mauler, but someone who can get that punch off the ball and put some defenders on skates. This would also help Connor's style. Our OL was built more for Ben and Bell. Time to shift in my humble opinion.

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why does a NT have to be short and stumpy? I feel a guy like Michael Brockers could play NT. I think Tombert might actually prefer a taller DT/NT guy. Remember they put in a waiver claim for Jordan Phillips. Also, I am genuinely curious why a 3-4 NT is short traditionally. 

This was well addressed. I will add that a NG is traditionally used to occupy blockers, be an immovable centerpiece and occasionally penetrate. Big Snack and Joel Steed filled that void well in our defense. Larger guys like Hampton's Texas teammate and former Lion Shawn Rogers was a large man who had success early. The game has changed and NG's are not playing 50% - 55% a game. The past several years, teams have had success running the ball. I think the Steelers need a good chess piece to put in the run-stuffing toolbox. With the improved pass rush and secondary, that makes this defense go from good to very good or better.