Bears re-sign S Deon Bush

RJ_11

Players like Bush and Irving are essentially cheap experienced depth.  They aren't top caliber starters but they've been playing in this defense for 3 or 4 years and know their assignments well enough that they won't hurt you if they have to step in as subs.

I believe Pace will draft a SS and add some pass rushing prospects in the draft or as UDFA.  There are still vet SS prospects as well who will be looked at in the 2nd wave and may be signed if their price is right.  IMHO we're a long way from being done adding players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Players like Bush and Irving are essentially cheap experienced depth.  They aren't top caliber starters but they've been playing in this defense for 3 or 4 years and know their assignments well enough that they won't hurt you if they have to step in as subs.

I believe Pace will draft a SS and add some pass rushing prospects in the draft or as UDFA.  There are still vet SS prospects as well who will be looked at in the 2nd wave and may be signed if their price is right.  IMHO we're a long way from being done adding players.

Agreed. resigning Scales, Bush, and irving are all plus signings.

I don't even see the SS position being that big of a need either.  The supporting cast on this defense has already shown that barring major injuries the SS position is almost a plug n play in this system. 

25 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Agreed. resigning Scales, Bush, and irving are all plus signings.

I don't even see the SS position being that big of a need either.  The supporting cast on this defense has already shown that barring major injuries the SS position is almost a plug n play in this system. 

Pace has done well in drafting Safeties.  Far better than his predecessors at any rate.  If there's a feeling we need to draft the position IIRC there are a couple for highly rated guys who should be taken around the middle of round two so that option exists along with a few vet FAs who may be over pricing themselves right now and that may change as the second and third waves take place.

I trust Bush far more as an "in the box" guy than I do as a FS in deep coverage.  He's got good speed and range but his instincts have always been poor and he's often out of position.  He may make some highlight reel hits but he's also gonna get burned from time to time.

Irving is a kid I really thought might step up.  He plays well in preseason but fails to make any impact plays once the regular season begins.  Another guy that showed some pass rush skills last preseason is Vaughters.  With the kind of $$$ we have wrapped up in Mack and Quinn we virtually have to look to cheaper alternatives as their subs so I'd keep drafting them and signing priority UDFAs hoping to get lucky somewhere.  Spending more on the Aaron Lynch types isn't helping much.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, soulman said:

Spending more on the Aaron Lynch types isn't helping much.

Oh jesus. Thank you for saying this because I felt like I was the only one who felt this way about him. The guy can make plays in obvious pass rushing situations but his constant stupid off-sides penalties negate any good that he might have done on the previous play. The disciple and timing with him is just not there. And this should not still be an issue of his at this stage in his career.

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Oh jesus. Thank you for saying this because I felt like I was the only one who felt this way about him. The guy can make plays in obvious pass rushing situations but his constant stupid off-sides penalties negate any good that he might have done on the previous play. The disciple and timing with him is just not there. And this should not still be an issue of his at this stage in his career.

Well there was a reason he returned last season for less than half what we paid him in 2018.  He's not that good and by now everyone knows it.  But I'll also toss this in as a possible path to their thinking.

Fangio had left and Pagano had just taken over along with some other new staff members.  We were thin at OLB and perhaps Pagano and his guys didn't feel they had enough on Irving and Fitts to be 100% comfortable with them so Pace brings back Lynch on the cheap.

My guess is there's still some possibility we'll sign a vet OLB on a 1 year deal just to bolster the depth but with the $$$ we have tied up in two OLBs we need to be finding and developing cheaper rookies from the draft and UDFA.  Since it's tough to find good pass rushers late in any draft it's a numbers game just like it is with CBs and WRs.  But I would surely focus on those who have shown better rushing skills in college because that's one skill that does seem to carry over to the pros and isn't easy to teach as we learned with Floyd.