Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

Didn't really know where else to put this but figured it might be good to have a thread dedicated to our current GM.

So obviously we are terrible this year. And his drafting hasn't paid off at all yet. His future should very much be in doubt unless our young guys start playing.

However, as far as the veterans he released so far, he made the right call.

• Darrelle Revis - Still available
  • Nick Mangold - Still available
  • Ryan Clady - Retired
  • Brandon Marshall - 2 catches
  • Eric Decker - 6 catches
  • Breno Giacomini - Starting RT on the awful Texans OL
  • Marcus Gilchrist - Backup safety on the Texans
  • David Harris - 3 snaps in 2 games for the Patriots
  • Calvin Pryor - Cut from Browns, on IR for Jags.

Maybe the fact that these are our starters last year show just how untalented this team is, but you have to think age is catching up to a lot of these players as well.

Mac deserves very little credit with how little his drafts have produced but I will give him credit on these players.

Good posts. I think the people who wanted the roster blown up and tank didn't understand what they were asking for. Now they are complaining about the roster. For those like me who didn't want to do that have come to grips with what's about to happen.

Looks like he has made the right moves by cleaning those vets out. Just sucks that he couldn't replace most of them. We'll see what happens with a top 3 pick and $80M cap space.

It just doesn't make sense

I was down for the whole "Let's sign big deals that we can get out of while competing and have the young picks be ready to take over without a bump in the road" mentality but the picks have been awful outside of like 2 (not including this year's obviously)

Idk, I don't like him and I'm not sure we have a plan

I really don't

11 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Good posts. I think the people who wanted the roster blown up and tank didn't understand what they were asking for. Now they are complaining about the roster. For those like me who didn't want to do that have come to grips with what's about to happen.

Looks like he has made the right moves by cleaning those vets out. Just sucks that he couldn't replace most of them. We'll see what happens with a top 3 pick and $80M cap space.

No

People who wanted the roster blown up expect young players to play and improve

Not Josh McCown, Matt Forte, ? Kearse, and Jeremy Kerley

It makes 0 sense

9 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

No

People who wanted the roster blown up expect young players to play and improve

Not Josh McCown, Matt Forte, ? Kearse, and Jeremy Kerley

It makes 0 sense

If you want to tank, of course it makes sense to blow these games early. It's only been 2 weeks, those guys won't be getting the snaps they are getting now after a few weeks. So they will still get out there and improve. Also, this is probably Bowles using vets in hopes to save his job. Kearse wasn't a bad move, picking up Kerley after kearse was a bad move. 

I haven't been watching, but I've seen the snap numbers. it looks like Bowles is walking these players into their roles. McGuire had 0 rushes, then had 6 last game. Stewart is starting off low as well. It makes sense since players like them were mid and late round picks. I expect the young guys that can play to be getting most of the snaps by week 8. 

43 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I was down for the whole "Let's sign big deals that we can get out of while competing and have the young picks be ready to take over without a bump in the road" mentality but the picks have been awful outside of like 2 (not including this year's obviously)

Leonard Williams, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Jamal Adams, and Marcus Maye. 5 contributing draft picks. Definitely poor draft performance but also more than the 2 you mentioned.

42 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

Leonard Williams, Brandon Shell, Jordan Jenkins, Jamal Adams, and Marcus Maye. 5 contributing draft picks. Definitely poor draft performance but also more than the 2 you mentioned.

2 not including this year as I stated, lol

I don't count Jenkins; looks like a jag

37 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

Yeah when people want to bash Mac they just for some reason ignore the good picks.

Hack, Lee and Smith are all top picks not contributing so they focus on them.  Lee could go a long way to help Mac's draft status but so far he's been weak at the point of attack.

Anderson is contributing as well even though early on he hasn't played great.

Not every GM comes in a is great.  He could help himself a ton by not signing guys like Kerley last minute and then playing him over Stewart who looked like he belonged Week 1.  It's just those types of things that make me want to get rid of him.

46 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Yeah when people want to bash Mac they just for some reason ignore the good picks.

Hack, Lee and Smith are all top picks not contributing so they focus on them.  Lee could go a long way to help Mac's draft status but so far he's been weak at the point of attack.

Anderson is contributing as well even though early on he hasn't played great.

Not every GM comes in a is great.  He could help himself a ton by not signing guys like Kerley last minute and then playing him over Stewart who looked like he belonged Week 1.  It's just those types of things that make me want to get rid of him.

I mean, I'm not focusing on them but let's

Should we completely ignore messing up our 2nd Round Pick twice out of 3 chances?

Just now, Bianconero said:

I mean, I'm not focusing on them but let's

Should we completely ignore messing up our 2nd Round Pick twice out of 3 chances?

No that is a problem but go look at drafts from Newsome and McKenzie.  They all have major misses in rounds 1 and 2.  It's so easy to say you need to hit on picks 1-3 every year but the fact is it's just not realistic.  You hope to land 1 stud, 1 starter and 1-2 more contributors each year.  If you do land two building blocks each year and some depth you are doing a very good job.

Right now

2015: 1 stud (Williams), 1 contributor Simon (1 building block)

2016: 1 possible stud but at worst a starter (Shell), 1 starter (Jenkins), 1 fringe starter (Lee), 2 contributors (Burris, Edwards, Anderson) - (2 building blocks, maybe 3 if Lee improves)

2017: Too early but at worst it looks like 2 starters (Maye/Adams) - looks like 2 building blocks.

The problem will always be with his ability to find a QB sooner rather than later.  If he can't do that it won't matter about his LB or CB selections he'll be out of a job.

Right now I'd classify him as a middle of the pack GM.

Well for those of you wanting new ownership it appears Chris Johnson now has total control of the Jets and the fate of Bowles/Mac.  He just said that in his press conference.

Hopefully he is willing to open his check book to lure an elite GM like Pioli/Decosta and give him control if he does move on from Mac/Bowles.

He said they are graded on progress this year not wins/losses so we'll see how this season goes in that area.

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

Calling Simon (who was cut) a building block and Jenkins a sure fire starter is p lenient 

I didn't call him a building block.  Maybe the way it was typed was confusing but only Williams was a building block from that draft.  He is a contributor even though he is down on the PS.  He'll be back soon enough and after playing pretty well last year he should be considered a contributor.

As for Jenkins, while not a great player by any means he's been an average starter in his young career I think.

Archived