Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

I agree that macc's draft haven't been very productive so far.  But trying to find a reason to hope that things arent as bad as they seem I was thinking about how much of the talent issue is on macc and how much can be put on bowles and the coaching staff for not developing the talent.  Going back to macc's first draft most people in the media thought it was one of the better drafts in the league.  It's obviously too early to judge but it does show that Mac wasn't reaching for talent.  And it's hard to think of a player that has really taken a set forward under bowles while players like Sheldon and Wilkerson went from top players to below average.  Could be other reasons for that but I just don't see talent development.  Anyway just curious what everyone's opinion is on how much is on bowles vs macc.

I'm a big fan of Maccagnan. I think the team is finally embracing the vision he initially sought for, which was to rebuild through the draft. 

His first year of free agency was a mixed bag, but I firmly believe signing Revis was a Woody decision aimed at revitalizing the fanbase. The remaining signings were a mixed bag, but he landed a gem in Carpenter, who has been one of the leagues better LGs since he's arrived here. He looks even better this year than he has the past two seasons. 

In regards to his drafting, we can finally start grading him on 2015 being 3 years removed. Leo is a stud, and despite his slow start he is still the Jets brightest star on the roster. Devin Smith was an unfortunate bust as he just couldn't avoid injuries, however, the Maccagnan seemingly lucked out as Robby Anderson has become a reasonable replacement. Mauldin's career has taken a turn for the worse due to injuries and was on the roster bubble as it was. Petty is beginning to look like a solid backup QB, which makes that 4th round investment a solid one. Harrison and Simon are off the roster. 

Overall, Macc's first draft netted a star and a solid backup QB, but due to injuries and ineffectiveness, the rest of the draft didn't pan out well. That draft is looking like a B-. 

2016's draft still remains to be seen, but the big winners so far are Jenkins and Shell, who may end up being the best players out of that class. I haven't given up on Lee (it took Shazier 2 years of poor play before he started looking like a 1st round pick), and although the Hackenberg decision isn't looking good, I can't fault Macc for going for it. Burris got torn up last week, but I still think he has what it takes to be a viable #2 CB. 

In all, I do think the 2017 draft will be his best one (funny because I was very skeptical of it). Through 2 games, Adams and Maye have been the Jets best players and both seem to have star potential. Stewart hasn't done much, but I do see him developing into a good slot receiver. I'm extremely intrigued to see how the "athletes" like Leggett, Clark, and Jones develop, and I think we have solid role players in Donahue and McGuire. If this is the case, it's a good sign as Maccagnan appears to be hitting on a higher % of picks as time goes on. After listening to Chris Johnson, I get the feeling he's bought into Macc's vision, and the main person being evaluated for 2018 is Bowles.

For Mac and all other GMs it is almost all about the QB. I dont have stats here, but when you hit at the QB position, you can look so much better. The guys who draft the right QB often keep their jobs, and the ones who dont, get fired. Obviously, there is more to it than that, but that seems to be the biggest reason a GM is considered successful or not. IF Mac is kept around after the season, which I believe he will be, it is time to shoot for the top QB. Quit going for the 2nd-4th round guys with potential like Hack and Petty. Dont get cute with it, go with the top guy. If you dont get the #1 pick, get up to where you can get your franchise guy with other draft picks. 

I'm looking at this draft class and FA list. Macc have a chance to build a nice long term offense. We're going to use our first pick on a QB. Rounds 2-4, we can get a center, LT, and RB. Then sign someone like Jarvis Landry( Just an example) and resign Enunwa.  The LT could be someone with all the physical tools who may need a year behind Beachum. RB just in case McGuire doesn't show us anything.

I've been reading tweets and seeing clips on twitter of Jamal Adams. He's going to be the best at his position at some point, he's still learning how to read offenses. He doesn't have a vet next to him to guide him and teach him how to see the whole field before the snap. Once when he adapts to playing top QBs, he's going to be a beast.

I'm a believer in Mac like Jetskidd has said. I see a vision or at least the strategy he is taking and I believe it will pay off. Build the defense so you can stink enough to get high picks for a QB and plug the holes with the $80M. Any players that shine through on offense this year saves us money in next offseason. Patience will pay off.

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Burris has been awful. Jenkins is at least serviceable. Although not a single player on our defense has really stood out...the safeties maybe. Even Leo has left a ton to be desired. 

You are right,, even Leo is a big disappointment, he is no Pierre-Paul or Michael Strahan or even JJ Watts, or our own Mark Gastineau.

24 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

You are right,, even Leo is a big disappointment, he is no Pierre-Paul or Michael Strahan or even JJ Watts, or our own Mark Gastineau.

That's not really the type of player Leo should be compared to. I think losing Sheldon has hurt Leo's production along with the defense being on the field so much. I think Leo would get more sacks if we were leading in games but teams can just run the clock on us since the offense can't score. Not many opportunities for sacks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2017 at 1:01 AM, Jetfan66 said:

However, as far as the veterans he released so far, he made the right call.

• Darrelle Revis - Still available
  • Nick Mangold - Still available
  • Ryan Clady - Retired
  • Brandon Marshall - 2 catches
  • Eric Decker - 6 catches
  • Breno Giacomini - Starting RT on the awful Texans OL
  • Marcus Gilchrist - Backup safety on the Texans
  • David Harris - 3 snaps in 2 games for the Patriots
  • Calvin Pryor - Cut from Browns, on IR for Jags.

Maybe the fact that these are our starters last year show just how untalented this team is, but you have to think age is catching up to a lot of these players as well.

Mac deserves very little credit with how little his drafts have produced but I will give him credit on these players.

I saw an update on this on reddit that might interest people.

The starters that the Jets parted ways with that had people claim they were tanking:

Nick Folk - Has missed 5 FGs and 2 PATs
Brandon Marshall - 139 yards and 0 TD through 4 games
Eric Decker - 104 yards and 0 TD through 4 games
David Harris - Has played 7 total snaps
Sheldon Richardson - 7 tackles and 0 sacks through 4 games
Revis - Sitting on a couch at home
Mangold - Sitting on a couch at home
Ryan Clady - Sitting on a couch at home
Calvin Pryor - Released from the Browns, claimed by the Jaguars and put on IR
Marcus Gilchrist - Backup S for the Texans
Ryan Fitzpatrick - Bucs backup QB

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/74neet/the_starters_that_the_jets_parted_ways_with_which/

I don't have a lot of context on these, but some of them surprised me. Decker and Harris in particular. Richardson is presumably fine, just without big stats to his name. I was also under the impression that Gilchrist was starting, or at least playing a fair bit.

Interesting either way. This is usually more like what happens when the Patriots get rid of a big name than when we do.

I'm standing by what I said last year. I think Mac is the best GM we've had in a long time, I believe he actually has a plan. He's set us up perfectly for next year. Some will bash certain players he's drafted but show me a GM who hits on their first 3 picks every year; doesn't happen. Call Hack a flop, still was a worth while gamble. If he had paid off then we'd have our QBOTF for the price of a 2nd rounder. I think I like Mac because even a bad pick had a sound thought process that went into that pick.

19 hours ago, ekill08x said:

My biggest problem was Macs draft day trades. God awful. Like worse than rookie. However the moves hes made and the players selcected have looked good. Future is bright, but its going to take a couple of years and a QB.

I think the only trade that bothers me is when we could have taken our new center. Maybe he had enough confidence in Johnson but man that would have been nice to sure up.

Archived