Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

This reminds me of the 8-8 Rex team that saved his job for a year. Not saying we're gonna go 8-8 by any means but everyone seems to be playing hard for Bowles. Tbh wouldn't be shocked if he's still here next year.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

This reminds me of the 8-8 Rex team that saved his job for a year. Not saying we're gonna go 8-8 by any means but everyone seems to be playing hard for Bowles. Tbh wouldn't be shocked if he's still here next year.

It's still early in the season and anything can happen but if the team continues to play like this his job is safe. I think it if we feel like we are out of striking distance for a QB in the draft we will go after Cousins.

16 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

It's still early in the season and anything can happen but if the team continues to play like this his job is safe. I think it if we feel like we are out of striking distance for a QB in the draft we will go after Cousins.

I dont think a team is ever out of striking distance. These QBs havent really played up to what everyone thought. Plus, they have a little extra ammo to go up and get one if needed with that extra 2nd rounder. If the supposed franchise guy is there, give up the picks and go get him. 

Think they started Williams yesterday to give him a last shot to prove himself, but he was toasted all game.

Like I said in the gameday thread yesterday, their is only two options with Williams in coverage, either an INT or toasted.

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

We cut Marcus Williams to activate Jalin. Surprised and not surprised at the same time he was too inconsistent 

The beat writers are saying that speaks highly of Derrick Jones who is keeping a spot on the 53 man roster but not playing meaningful snaps yet.  They are suggesting we are worried about losing him if we put him on the PS.  Hopefully he can step in later this year and prove them right.  

12 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Think they started Williams yesterday to give him a last shot to prove himself, but he was toasted all game.

Like I said in the gameday thread yesterday, their is only two options with Williams in coverage, either an INT or toasted.

Yea I think the emergence of the safeties and Claiborne/Roberts made the decision to cut Williams a little easier. Was really hoping he could show us a lot more than he has.

17 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Williams has been crap for awhile. People still highlight his INT year from 2 years ago. But if you actually watched the games and his picks... most of his INTs were gifts, not great coverage and instincts.

Now that we blow our chance to get a top franchise QB in the 2018 draft by bring in vet players to beat pathetic teams what is you plans now. After the Giants steal one of our top picks we are going to look awful stupid. Let see what we have to overcome, Cleveland Browns 0-5, NY Giants 0-5, SF 49ers O-5 , LA chargers 1-4, Chicago Bears 1-4. By the time we pick the BPA will be another safety. There will be eight or nine teams looking to draft a QB, in 2018. I ADOCATE VIOLENT OVERTHROW OF THE JETS, FRONT OFFICE.

16 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Now that we blow our chance to get a top franchise QB in the 2018 draft by bring in vet players to beat pathetic teams what is you plans now. After the Giants steal one of our top picks we are going to look awful stupid. Let see what we have to overcome, Cleveland Browns 0-5, NY Giants 0-5, SF 49ers O-5 , LA chargers 1-4, Chicago Bears 1-4. By the time we pick the BPA will be another safety. There will be eight or nine teams looking to draft a QB, in 2018. I ADOCATE VIOLENT OVERTHROW OF THE JETS, FRONT OFFICE.

There's a halfway decent chance the only one of those teams taking a QB will be the Browns.

Giants drafted a QB last year and are still in win now mode so they could look to move back and acquire more assets.

Chargers could fall in that same umbrella

Bears just traded up for their QB last year

49ers from what we've heard are the front runners for Cousins.

only teams I'm worried about are the Browns, Bills, Vikings and Jags as teams that will be targeting QB early. Not to mention I'd much rather have a good team and trade a bunch of picks to get our QB. Especially when we've been pretty successful late in the draft/UDFA/trades, it makes trading higher picks a little easier to stomach. There are also other potential options for QBs, Smith, Cousins, Bridgewater, Bradford, Brees, Jimmy G if we want to sit back and try to develop a young guy.

6 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

There's a halfway decent chance the only one of those teams taking a QB will be the Browns.

Giants drafted a QB last year and are still in win now mode so they could look to move back and acquire more assets.

Chargers could fall in that same umbrella

Bears just traded up for their QB last year

49ers from what we've heard are the front runners for Cousins.

only teams I'm worried about are the Browns, Bills, Vikings and Jags as teams that will be targeting QB early. Not to mention I'd much rather have a good team and trade a bunch of picks to get our QB. Especially when we've been pretty successful late in the draft/UDFA/trades, it makes trading higher picks a little easier to stomach. There are also other potential options for QBs, Smith, Cousins, Bridgewater, Bradford, Brees, Jimmy G if we want to sit back and try to develop a young guy.

HOW can we develop young players when Bowles & Mac never wants to give our young QB's a chance to play. And by the way both our young QB's were Mac's draft picks. Why are you sucking up to Mac all the time? We haven't been to a Super Bowl in 48 years, and bring in all those second tier vets that Mac bought in is year, just set the Jets back another 48 years. And some of your potential options for the QB is the same old story bring some past stars who are near the end of their career , or other guys who are not franchise players is the same old Jet story. There are two or three OB's in this years draft that have a chance to be franchise QB's. I have had a belly full of the Jets bring in QB's who careers are over or guys like Fitz & Mc Cown,who are 11 years away from being AARP members like me.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

HOW can we develop young players when Bowles & Mac never wants to give our young QB's a chance to play. And by the way both our young QB's were Mac's draft picks. Why are you sucking up to Mac all the time? We haven't been to a Super Bowl in 48 years, and bring in all those second tier vets that Mac bought in is year, just set the Jets back another 48 years. And some of your potential options for the QB is the same old story bring some past stars who are near the end of their career , or other guys who are not franchise players is the same old Jet story. There are two or three OB's in this years draft that have a chance to be franchise QB's. I have had a belly full of the Jets bring in QB's who careers are over or guys like Fitz & Mc Cown,who are 11 years away from being AARP members like me.

Idk why I keep feeding into the troll. I think the team has already made their decision that our future QB is not on the roster. Alex Smith is playing like a top 5 QB right now and Cousins has plenty of years left. Brees is really the only old QB on that list which is sort of irrelevant since we'd only look for him to start for a year while we let the rookie we draft learn. 

Don't you think you are being a little dramatic by saying Mac set us back another 48 years? Every QB I listed is better than McCown and Fitz. Not to mention you completely disregarded the idea that 4 of the 5 teams you listed could be willing to trade down in the draft. Since you are so set on Mac making the wrong draft selections you must be thrilled to give away draft picks to land a top 5 pick and a QB.

8 hours ago, doumeyer said:

If you cant see off the eye test why we dont play Petty or Hack than I dont know what else to tell you. If either one of these guys could do what even McCown is doing right now wed be jumping with joy, and its not like hes been terrific either. Neither guy is a starting QB and Petty will still get a shot because we honestly wont win anymore games or maybe 1 tops for the rest of the year. Jets are rebuilding a culture here and honestly its hard to argue Mac hasn't done a very good job considering how terrible everyone we cut has done or hasnt been signed. My biggest beef with Mac is some of his contracts, and his draft trade downs which were down right awful. In terms of scouting hes drafted pretty well. You have to give him credit for taking Williams and Adams....yes they fell but the guy sticks to his board and doesn't just draft need. Hes not perfect but I am starting to warm up to this guy. Hopefully he continues to stick to his plan and can find us a QB. 

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

If you cant see off the eye test why we dont play Petty or Hack than I dont know what else to tell you. If either one of these guys could do what even McCown is doing right now wed be jumping with joy, and its not like hes been terrific either. Neither guy is a starting QB and Petty will still get a shot because we honestly wont win anymore games or maybe 1 tops for the rest of the year. Jets are rebuilding a culture here and honestly its hard to argue Mac hasn't done a very good job considering how terrible everyone we cut has done or hasnt been signed. My biggest beef with Mac is some of his contracts, and his draft trade downs which were down right awful. In terms of scouting hes drafted pretty well. You have to give him credit for taking Williams and Adams....yes they fell but the guy sticks to his board and doesn't just draft need. Hes not perfect but I am starting to warm up to this guy. Hopefully he continues to stick to his plan and can find us a QB. 

Well said.  Sometimes it take a few years to work the kinks out like Reggie McKenzie in OAK who is now highly regarded.  Mac's first draft wasn't great but the last two have found solid contributors and this last one looks excellent with both safeties playing like studs and Stewart playing great in limited snaps.

Can we forget the young QB's and just enjoy watching the other young players contribute.  Our QBOTF isn't on the roster so let it be. 

Doumeyer: We brought in like 1-2 vets to help the young guys develop lets not act like we kept Marshall/Decker/Harrris etc to win a few extra games.  If I remember correctly you were screaming at the top of lungs in every post about how we should keep them so you wanted to keep them but have a issue with Kearse, Kerley, etc playing here.  Make up your mind.

Archived