Steelers sign TE Eric Ebron (2 years, $12 M)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, August4th said:

guess we can scratch taking a TE in the draft for this yr?

The way they treated Gentry last year, I wouldn't be super surprised for them to draft a #3 still. Just scratches it off the need list. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

We did who to what now?

Surprised they made a "splash". Not super excited its THIS splash. 

I get what you're saying but a 2 year $6 million per doesn't classify as a splash.  Maybe in Steeler world.  I like it and I'm usually annoyingly critical.  Not a lot of money in a position of need to a player that has shown the ability to be dynamic tho not consistently.  

Just now, Chieferific said:

2 year $6 million per doesn't classify as a splash.  Maybe in Steeler world.

The bold is correct and what I am alluding to. This is a splash for us. 

He just.....isnt that good. Maybe being a number 2 TE in an offense with a guy like Ben gets the most out of him. I hope so, I could see a lot of creative ways to use him. Hoping he is the Ladarius Green, middle field stretcher we never got. 

Its probably because I have no trust in Fichtner to use him correctly. He is a big WR, not an In-line TE. Flexed in the slot, wide over a receiver, motioned in formations for mismatch....those will be key. 

Could be great, but I really question Ebron. 

I should add, this will definitely grow on me as my mind goes over all the fun 2TE, no huddle offensive things I can think of and how to be flexible and different and create mismatches and I will be his biggest fan going into week 1. 

Then, we will use him as a 2nd TE on the line of scrimmage for the first 2 weeks and I will realize why my knee jerk reaction was to dislike the signing. 

Edited by Dcash4

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The bold is correct and what I am alluding to. This is a splash for us. 

He just.....isnt that good. Maybe being a number 2 TE in an offense with a guy like Ben gets the most out of him. I hope so, I could see a lot of creative ways to use him. Hoping he is the Ladarius Green, middle field stretcher we never got. 

Its probably because I have no trust in Fichtner to use him correctly. He is a big WR, not an In-line TE. Flexed in the slot, wide over a receiver, motioned in formations for mismatch....those will be key. 

Could be great, but I really question Ebron. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I didnt think Ebron would be a target for us because i thought he would get a lot more than 6 mil per. This is a very good signing imo. He is never going to be kelce or kittle or remotely close to his draft position but he is 1 year removed from a 66/750/13 season. He is a capable blocker and adds another scoring threat on this team. Well played to Colbert on this one.

• Like 1