Steelers sign TE Eric Ebron (2 years, $12 M)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

If the only thing your QB can throw is a curl route because his arm is a noodle and you can’t run the ball because your RB is hurt and the WRs can’t get open because they’re all new or bad. That’s more than the OC.

I’m not saying Fitchner is a great OC, I just don’t think any OC is successful under the circumstances he was under last year. 

The problem I had with Fitchner is that he is not scheming the receivers to get open.  The offense with Ben and AB relied on receivers winning the battle and getting open.  That does not work with Duck and no AB. 

My (secret) hope is that they move to a more 49ers type offense with D Watt and McDonald playing big roles.  They have the personal IF they will use the motion to set up various players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The problem I had with Fitchner is that he is not scheming the receivers to get open.  The offense with Ben and AB relied on receivers winning the battle and getting open.  That does not work with Duck and no AB. 

My (secret) hope is that they move to a more 49ers type offense with D Watt and McDonald playing big roles.  They have the personal IF they will use the motion to set up various players.

I think Fitchner could implement an offense like that. The dude is pretty creative in the run game.

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I just don’t think any OC is successful under the circumstances he was under last year. 

Did you watch the 2018 49ers with CJ Bethard and Nick Mullens? Still manage to put up 350+ yards 9 of 12 games without Garrapalo because Shannahan knows what he is doing in spite of QB talent. Missed that mark by 8 yards in another game and 4 of those games went over 400 total yards. We broke 300 yards 4 times with Mason/Duck. 

Im not saying there were not circumstances that made last year more difficult to work with. But there is nothing to hang your hat on in two years of Fichtner other than Ben can throw the ball and AB was talented. His 2018 numbers (I refuse to call it "success") is far more about the talent showing out rather than him creating winning play. I want my coordinator to put guys in the best places to win, he fails to do that time and time again. I have zero faith in him moving forward at any capacity of the game. 

I mean, honestly, whats one thing you see from Fichtner that makes excited about our offense?

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The dude is pretty creative in the run game.

....I’ll see myself out now to not derail further.

I sure hope your right, but after all I have seen and studied I have very little faith we won’t be “successful” solely on talent winning like in 2018. 

43 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Back to Ebron... 

I am concerned about his blocking.  Especially at the POA.  I see us in 3TE this year, with the loser of Banner/Chuks still being the 3rd TE

Is it bad that I see this more of an upgrade at receiver than at TE??  I've always seen him as a big WR and not a TE.

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

And Shanahan is an elite OC. Fitchner is not. I won’t argue there. How many elite OC are sitting out there waiting to be signed by us, though? My guess is not many.

No, but Fitchner has been terrible both years he has been OC.  Thats really all it comes down to.

I agree having no QB compounded the issues, but the offense was horribly run i 2018 when we had talent.

Beggars can't be choosers.

This is a weak TE draft class and free agent class, and we needed something.  I didnt expect us to get anyone.  IMO, this is primarily in case Vance gets hurt again, we arent left with nothing.

Ebron isn't great, but he isnt terrible.  Mainly just inconsistent, but in a league where TE isnt particularly a deep position, I can think of many worse trios to have than Vance/Ebron/Vannett.

• Like 3