Steelers sign TE Eric Ebron (2 years, $12 M)

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He is more of an "offensive athlete" than a true TE.

They like McDonald, and they clearly have plans for Ebron, so from the front offices perspective, I guarantee it nudged the need.  

At most, I see us drafting another late round TE to compete with Gentry.  Definitely don't expect us to draft one before round 5.   Weak class for TEs and we have bigger needs.

The bold is my fear. If Ebron does move the needle on TE need and McDonald goes down, there's a big problem with the majority of what we are going to run. It would need to be a complete shift in how you handle the offense. Ebron cannot slide into the TE role and continue as planned. He can be the #2 TE on the field, but he cannot be the #2 TE on the depth chart -- if you get my meaning. That means someone has to be that third option and they showed no interest in Gentry being a consideration last year when we were so desperate for anything at that position.

The Colts are basically only using him as a part time slot receiver. I'm perfectly fine with him in that role for us here too, but if they see Vance, Ebron, and the dude they didnt want to use last year/5th or later pick being the answer -- that's going to be a problem spot. 

The tightend position in the NFL is largely trash, but as our roster currently sits, I only see 1 NFL tight end on our roster -- and he cant stay healthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

The bold is my fear. If Ebron does move the needle on TE need and McDonald goes down, there's a big problem with the majority of what we are going to run. It would need to be a complete shift in how you handle the offense. Ebron cannot slide into the TE role and continue as planned. He can be the #2 TE on the field, but he cannot be the #2 TE on the depth chart -- if you get my meaning. That means someone has to be that third option and they showed no interest in Gentry being a consideration last year when we were so desperate for anything at that position.

The Colts are basically only using him as a part time slot receiver. I'm perfectly fine with him in that role for us here too, but if they see Vance, Ebron, and the dude they didnt want to use last year/5th or later pick being the answer -- that's going to be a problem spot. 

The tightend position in the NFL is largely trash, but as our roster currently sits, I only see 1 NFL tight end on our roster -- and he cant stay healthy. 

This is what I have been saying for a while... Not a TE.  Yes, he is labelled as TE for some reason (size/speed) but he is a mismatch slot WR.

I think you saw the protocol last year.  If McDonald goes down, you either go get a cheap dude in trade/FA and roll with it.  Hopefully Gentry/CSW/Radar or a UDFA can do it, but it is what it is.  Ebron should/will not be next up in the role of in-line TE or anything like that at all.

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Fair points that I agree with.

Another possibility is using Derek Watt at TE like we used to do with David Johnson.   I know he hasnt be used like that before, but its a possibility.

Thing is, I expected us to go into the season with Vance/Vannett/Gentry or late round rookie as our TE's....so I never really expected us to have much at TE to begin with this season.   I do think the offense will undergo some changes.    

TE is definitely still a need, but one that likely wont be addressed adequately until AT LEAST next year.   I think our front office recognizes they arent in a great position to address TE this year, so I think they are trying to make the best of a bad situation and praying Vance can stay healthy.   If Vance gets hurt again, they will do the same thing as last year and either sign someone or trade a late round pick for a short term rental.

Not the way I prefer to do it, but I recognize we arent in a great position to address that need this year.    

• Like 1

the more i think about it the more i (ceteris paribus) am keen on this signing

like yeah it would've been cool to get a proper #1 TE, but as is pointed out above we simply don't have the bolts in the bank to do that as an organisation rn

however

what we are getting is a guy who's simply going to be the better athlete next to his matchup, and sometimes, that's all you need

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...