Steelers sign TE Eric Ebron (2 years, $12 M)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If they can get him into surgery and remove those ovenmitts he is wearing it could be good.  But he is on his 3rd team.  Are they hoping for a TE #2?

Since Vance took a pay cut but guaranteed his salary for this year, EBRON will be the #2 TE...next year who knows.

My guess is that’s its backloaded for next year incase he implodes.

I think the hate Fitchner is getting is a little unwarranted. Our offense to a major step back last year, sure. People loved the offense the year before. Remember how everyone praised the offense when Connor went down and we beat the Pats? I think Ben not being in had a major effect. It doesn’t matter how smart of a coordinator you are when you’re down to backups at every skill position and your starting QB is Duck Hodges. 

Am I saying that Randy Fitchner is the best OC in the league? No, but he’s not so stupid that he can’t figure out how to use two TEs at the same time. Come on, guys.

I know this thread is about Ebron(who hopefully plays well, but his health and commitment worry me) but this Fitchner hate is getting ridiculous.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

People loved the offense the year before.

No, we very, VERY much did not. (Read: I did not). 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Ben not being in had a major effect. It doesn’t matter how smart of a coordinator you are when you’re down to backups at every skill position and your starting QB is Duck Hodges. 

You are right, Ben had a major effect. The circumstance also gave you a look into the OC's actual talent (or lack-thereof) in a situation that would be far more defined by knowledge than skill because of inefficiencies at QB. And it was an epic failure. 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

but he’s not so stupid that he can’t figure out how to use two TEs at the same time

He is the same guy that called for fake WR Screen, slip go's on 3rd and 10 and in the 4th quarter with under 4 minutes  down a score in the same game-- when NO CORNERS WOULD EVER PLAY THE SCREEN BECAUSE THEY NEED TO WATCH THE STICKS OR DEEP. 

Yeah, I think he is stupid enough to use Ebron as a TE, not as a flex-TE that he needs to be used as. 

Also, Wildcat. The defense rests.

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

but this Fitchner hate is getting ridiculous

I know I go super hard at him, but with free game pass I am re-watching games (and I really only like watching offense). Its not ridiculous. It the hate is well warranted.

3rd and 8 with 4 across curls!?!?!?!? MORE THAN ONCE!?  IN AN NFL GAME!?@!?!?!? Im gonna start drinking....

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Remember how everyone thought Keith Butler was literally the worst DC in the history of humanity when Ryan’s Shazier went down and our ILBs were Jon Bostic and VW? Then our talent improves and now he’s a good DC. Just think.

I mean, do we even know if Butler was calling plays last year? They brought in a lot of different defensive coaches. Tomlin had already taken over play calling at times in previous seasons.

Given the limited resources, I'm not sure Ebron is the investment I would have made. So now they have two mediocre and unreliable TE's instead of 1.

Edited by CKSteeler

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I mean, do we even know if Butler was calling plays last year? They brought in a lot of different defensive coaches. Tomlin had already taken over play calling at times in previous seasons.

Given the limited resources, I'm not sure Ebron is the investment I would have made. So now they have two mediocre and unreliable TE's instead of 1.

I agree about Ebron. If he can stay healthy and be a team player it’s a good signing. If not, he’s cheap and we can ditch him.

29 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m not sure how many times this can be said, but his QB was DUCK HODGES. Of course he played it safe a lot. We had a great defense and our QB was DUCK FREAKING HODGES.

If you dont know how to get a dude open using route combos and not singular routes (grade school level stuff here), its on you as an OC. If your best is to say "heres 4 curls pick your favorite" its on you as an OC. If you dont understand in a game where DUCK FREAKING HODGES is your QB that every point is valuable then you shouldnt have a dude who takes 2 practice snaps at QB and is your damn running back to get snaps in the redzone of a playoff style game, its on you as an OC. You should know that Having Jaylen freaking Samuels throw a pass inside your own defensive redzone is a bad idea. If you dont understand why a fake screen isnt going to work because of simple circumstance, its a problem. 

There are literally too many examples, that show his incompetence at the basics of understanding football, situation, or ability to create and that's not just last year -- he relied heavily on the talent of guys like Ben and AB and JuJu/Connor to make plays and his run game set up completely fell apart without a guy like Munch to set it up and design it. 

There is a difference between playing it safe and screwing up. Fichter screwed up. 

Wanna know the stat that drives me up the wall and speaks so much to the man making the plans having an understanding of what he is doing? Last two years with Fichtner we had 16 opening drives that went 3 and out. Only 6 opening drives that had points, two of which were because of short fields (49ers this year, 3 and out in field goal range). That's telling man. 

26 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Remember how everyone thought Keith Butler was literally the worst DC in the history of humanity when Ryan’s Shazier went down and our ILBs were Jon Bostic and VW? Then our talent improves and now he’s a good DC. Just think.

Butler had huge underlying issues that continually reared their head. Communication break downs and not even being able to field 11 players multiple times. Late switches, etc, But he was still able to create a hell of a pass rush and adjusted to stop the run pretty well. Biggest flaw was a talentless secondary. What are Fichtner's redeeming qualities? Because I truly struggle to find one. 

Sorry, I get fired up about Fichtner. I love the offensive side of the ball. Love planning, love game mapping, love digesting it. It infuriates me that he is an NFL coach and that he is OUR NFL coach. 

Edit: I didnt even mention my favorite! His auto-formations like 2nd and 10 3 TE sets! 

Edited by Dcash4

If the only thing your QB can throw is a curl route because his arm is a noodle and you can’t run the ball because your RB is hurt and the WRs can’t get open because they’re all new or bad. That’s more than the OC.

I’m not saying Fitchner is a great OC, I just don’t think any OC is successful under the circumstances he was under last year.