Chris Wormley Traded to PIT

baltimoreRebel

2 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Eh. That's fine. Losing Wormley isn't going to affect the defensive line rotation whatsoever... he's not bad, but doesn't do anything on the far side of the positive spectrum either. 

Exactly. The way I view it, we can draft a guy mid rounds to give similar in production, if not maybe better. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Exactly. The way I view it, we can draft a guy mid rounds to give similar in production, if not maybe better. 

More importantly that's cost controlled for four years, rather than just one. One of the constraints we were/are looking at is the 53-man roster limit. If you can get similar production from a first year guy, better to cycle him out for a rookie. Obviously Wormley was a fine player, but we do need to foster some pipeline of development to keep our window open as long as possible, particularly once Lamar gets paid.

Not to mention, there is some definite improvement in the EV for a 2021 5th rounder vs. 7th rounder. I really like EDC's mindfulness of the entire roster construction into the future. Seems like he's making a lot of moves to win now, while still keeping an eye toward long-term competitiveness/sustainability.

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Getting a 5th round pick for a guy who should never be starting on any NFL roster? I'm a fan of it.

I think that's a bit harsh. He definitely has a place in the NFL as a rotational DL at the very least.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Not like Wormley is anything special but he's a decent depth piece. Seems like EDC is getting ready to make a move and is clearing cap however he can right now - if that's not the case, then I don't really get this. 

When I saw it was the Steelers involved in the traded, that to me is a sign they didn't value Wormley all that much. We got a little return on a guy who wasn't bad, but we also could upgrade from. I think there will be options later this year to add a guy who could provide similar play as Wormley. Just too bad it was a 3. round pick that didn't turn out the way we wanted.

I think the Steelers won this trade slightly