Chris Wormley Traded to PIT

baltimoreRebel

31 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not really. Doesn't do anything on the field. Adds no value as a run stuffer or pass rusher. Literally just a body you put out there to fill a roster spot.

There’s a difference between a JAG starter and a JAG roster spot lol ease up on the hyperbole. 

Charles Scarff is a guy to fill a roster spot.

Randin Crecilus is a guy to fill a roster spot.

Chris Wormley is just a JAG starter - but better than roster fodder lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

There’s a difference between a JAG starter and a JAG roster spot lol ease up on the hyperbole. 

Charles Scarff is a guy to fill a roster spot.

Randin Crecilus is a guy to fill a roster spot.

Chris Wormley is just a JAG starter - but better than roster fodder lol

If we didn't trade away every other DE known to man, nobody would know the difference between those 3 players.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If we didn't trade away every other DE known to man, nobody would know the difference between those 3 players.

Besides that one started 7 games on a top 10 defense?

Lol listen i know he wasn’t very good but you’re underselling him here a bit...not like he was getting blown out of his gap every play

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Besides that one started 7 games on a top 10 defense?

Lol listen i know he wasn’t very good but you’re underselling him here a bit...not like he was getting blown out of his gap every play

He played an unforgettable role in very limited snaps on a very good defense. I'm not convinced that we could've rolled out any DE off the street and seen a decline in play at that position.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He played an unforgettable role in very limited snaps on a very good defense. I'm not convinced that we could've rolled out any DE off the street and seen a decline in play at that position.

Very limited is a bit of an understatement as well but i guess we’ll agree to disagree on the player lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danand said:

When I saw it was the Steelers involved in the traded, that to me is a sign they didn't value Wormley all that much. We got a little return on a guy who wasn't bad, but we also could upgrade from. I think there will be options later this year to add a guy who could provide similar play as Wormley. Just too bad it was a 3. round pick that didn't turn out the way we wanted.

I think the Steelers won this trade slightly

Not a home run, but we did get three years of decent contribution from him. Return is somewhat low because draft picks are depreciating assets unless they significantly exceed expectation on draft position.

It's not a perfect measure, but only 12 players (of 43, including comp picks) in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft have posted more AV than Wormley. He was the 10th pick of the third round, so that's marginally below expectation I guess. 

I would have liked to see him do more in Baltimore, but as far as the original selection goes, it was fine.

56 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And teams need some guys able to do that at an adequate level. Not every guy on a defense is going to be making consistent splash plays. As others have said, he's a JAG starter/rotation guy, but he's above replacement level IMO, hence why we were still able to extract future value for him. PIT being able to exchange consideration for him should be evidence enough that he provides more than an available street body.

Odd that its to the Steelers but I'm fine with the trade,  Sarah says it well in this tweet - He didn't play a heap of snaps last year because of how infrequently we played in our base D, and he would have seen even fewer snaps this year. 

Plus, its not like he was a playmaker - he has always been a solid guy that you could seemingly trust to do his job, but not much more

• Like 2